Another small step foreward....I think (?)

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Ragnar

Another small step foreward....I think (?)

Post by Ragnar » Mon May 12, 2008 1:14 am

Pagan prisoners win right to have 'magic wand' twigs in cells under new religious freedom rules
Pagan prisoners: Allowed to keep twigs in cells
Prison bosses have been instructed to let pagan inmates keep twigs in their cells...to use as wands.

Officers have been told to allow prisoners to collect and decorate the twigs which they need for their rituals.

It is the latest in a series of rulings to protect convicts' rights and ensure equality among different faiths.

Followers of other faiths are allowed items such as a prayer mat to allow them to worship.

The policy regarding pagans was announced by Justice Reform Minister Maria Eagle in a parliamentary answer.

She said: "Prison service policy is to enable prisoners of different faith traditions, including paganism, to practise their religion.

"Religious artefacts are allowed for relevant faiths within the constraints of good order and discipline. The religious artefacts for pagan prisoners include a flexible twig for a wand."

Tory prisons spokesman Edward Garnier said: "This sounds like an April Fool's Day joke. But there's genuine concern prisoners are taking the system for a ride."

Conservative MP Andrew Turner, who uncovered the new ruling, added: "This strikes me as bizarre. A lot of people would be worried about equating paganism with Christianity."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... _a_source=

BUT! What's THIS;
"This strikes me as bizarre. A lot of people would be worried about equating paganism with Christianity."
Huh? Is it just me or is that a typical christian knee jerk hate reaction, hoping no one notices that that has not been said ANYWHERE?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 am

I saw that, too, and it makes me cringe.

I think it is a step forward, but what a hateful comment! Two steps forward and one back, perhaps.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon May 12, 2008 8:58 am

Sigh...people really REALLY need to do at least the bare minimum of research if they're in a position of public view or authority before they open their mouths and make themselves look stupid.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 am

Yes. I am always both fascinated and frustrated at these types that are "ever so liberal" and "would fight for your right to be anything you want, even if they don't agree with it"....UNTIOL you mention Heathenism/Paganism.

THEN they become spiting myd, hysterical nazis of the worse kind.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

Oh, didn't you know?

That "be anything you want" thing only applies to VALID religions that have some sort of kinship to their base religion. It doesn't mean you can go out and become a gasp witch! It just means that you can be any brand of Christian you want, or maybe a Jew or Muslim...oh wait, after 9/11, that's sort of a no-no. And we MIGHT let you be a Hindu or Buddhist, because, well, those are documented religions. And if you're REALLY nice and pay ALL your taxes, we'll even let you be part of Taoism or something vaguely cult-ish...except, don't try and bring back those "mythology" religions like Hellenistic Greek, Roman or Egyptian. Or try to be one of those wild-men who followed the Norse or Celtic Gods, because, well they just weren't civilized. Even the Greeks and Romans weren't REALLY civilized, because the Greeks had orgies and the Romans held blood sports.

Never mind the fact that they had the best infrastructure of any of the Ancient cultures, the fact that Greeks basically invented classical art forms (according to many a lame history professor) or that the Romans conquered the known world.

*Sigh* I'm sorry, once again, my Sarcasm Personality has full control of the command center. With the help of Smarty Pants and Random Trivia. I will try and restrain myself in future. *Sigh* 8-)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon May 12, 2008 11:21 am

Kystar wrote:I will try and restrain myself in future. *Sigh* 8-)
Really? [-X

I was just getting into that when you ended. :-?

Well said, by the way. :-D

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon May 12, 2008 11:33 am

Man... good and bad in one day.

Kystar, sarcasm is always acceptable, I think it is a great way to point out the idiocies of the world.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon May 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm sorry, Ragnar...I was sort of running out ideas anyways, so I thought I'd just cut and run before I started babbling.

Willow - Yes, sarcasm is a wonderful weapon, provided those you use it against are intelligent enough to realize that they're being made fun of.
I don't know HOW many times I used sarcasm in school and college and got a blank look of incomprehension. *sigh*

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon May 12, 2008 7:38 pm

That blank look was why I bought my favourite t-shirt...

"Sarcasm IS one of the services I offer."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 pm

I need that shirt... My friends say I am one of the most sarcastic people they know and I have apparently inspired others to increase their sarcasm.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 13, 2008 7:12 am

Kystar, you're wonderful

Is anyone else getting a lot of, "Paganism isn't Real/Valid" these days? Even a few years ago, it was a case of possible worship of the anti-god of monotheism. Now that efforts have come to discourage that myth, it seems we're suddenly not real? Add the witch = goth or witch = emo stereotype, and we've got a very frustrating situation.

And even IF Christianity were *oh my gods* EQUAL to Paganism, is that NOT what the charters of so-called 'evolved' nations are striving toward? I suppose equality is well and good until you bring up Paganism or women's wages.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Tue May 13, 2008 10:54 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Kystar, you're wonderful

I suppose equality is well and good until you bring up Paganism or women's wages.
Yeah, and I even get the whole 'women are more powerful because they are sexually alluring' thing too. Being sexually attractive is not power.
Women are free and equal because they have so much power sexually over men. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sorry, I'll take the extra pay in my check than having false power.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue May 13, 2008 11:19 am

Thank you, CHL...it helps...those little affirmations that I'm not blowing smoke out of a random orifice.

The only place I'm getting the "Paganism isn't a VALID religion" was actually from my family, back during the wedding hooplah.

Everywhere else was sort of like "um, I don't understand, but that's your choice."

Though, I've seen a few cases where authority figures tried to pull things down. Not many recently...but enough for me to go WTF?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 13, 2008 7:55 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: Is anyone else getting a lot of, "Paganism isn't Real/Valid" these days?
Refer them to the Icelandic parliament.

In Iceland the "Asatru" priests have complete rights, the same as the other lot. To the extent that they are registered Registrars so have the power and right to perform weddings and divorces without having to refer to Government.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 pm

All my friends have the same, "don't understand, but it's up to you" feeling about it.

And I've made a decision to not tell people what my religion is, unless they ask.

Thus, all the christians in my office (a large number of co-workers actually) believe that I'm christian. :lol:

This idea was reinforced when I brought a picure of the goddess and green man in sit on my desk... The goddess has a triquerta on her arm, and one of the girls said, "You know it's nice to see more Christain art in the workplace.".

:lol: :lol: :lol: #-o #-o #-o

After controlling my first impulse which was to laugh at her, and my second impulse which was to correct her, I finally answered, "Yes, it is a gorgeous picture with definate religious meaning, isn't it?"

:-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews