We're Growing!

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

We're Growing!

Post by Librarian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:01 pm

And we're gaining on the others...
According to the American religious identification survey, Catholic pews are emptying, while the fastest growing religious franchise in America is “Wicca,” a neo pagan cult better known as witchcraft.

Conversion to neopagan “Earth-centric” cults, such as neo-druidism, is dou bling every two years. Neo druids observe the ritual sacrifice of life to the “Earth Mother,” (children are safe; it’s plants-only, today) and their churches are called “groves.” The most famous neo-druidic American grove is rooted in Berkeley, Calif.’s loamy soil.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20080 ... /293411751

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:26 am

This does not shock me. What shocks me is that this new is getting coverage.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 am

OMG, did you read that whole article? They BASH the neopagan religions because they're BLOCKING oil and pushing alternative fuel!

Granted, I don't agree with using foodstuffs for ethanol production b/c we ARE nearing a global famine state...but this article basically says that the "neodruids" are going to bring about the downfall of man! That we're either going to have to colonize the stars or die out!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:04 am

They do have a point there... And I'm waiting for my colony ship to Gaia, personally! :lol:

Really, I think colonizing the other planets "near" us, and learning how to terraform to make more habitable worlds is a great idea. Learning how to terraform would really increase our understanding of nature, and how it all fits together and (being optimistic) would lead to our being able to live more in harmony on our worlds.

Damn it! I want my Doona! (5 pts to anyone to gets the reference! :lol: )

However, I'll add, I haven't had a chance to read the whole article yet... so I'll post something additional about how insulted I am about it later! :roll: ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Yeah, I read it.
I am still wondering why they even considered this news.

Poorly written is what I meant.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Yep, highly insulting... Especially since I was always hoping that we pagans would be the ones to leave and the christians could stew in their mess for awhile...
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sat May 03, 2008 9:09 am

Always good to see our numbers on the rise. I nominate the great big sugar maple in my woods to be our first pope!
Kitsune wrote:I want my Doona! (5 pts to anyone to gets the reference! :lol: )
http://www.amazon.com/Decision-at-Doona ... 0345353773

I recognized it immediately, but had to go hunting. I think I read this about 15 years ago. Great reference!

---
On farming for alternative fuels, I recently read an article by Orson Scott Card where he argues the point that we have caused a global hunger problem by looking to ethanol and need to find a different solution.

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2008-04-20-1.html

He asserts that for years, we have provided foodstuffs to rest of the world, undercutting the local farmers who eventually gave up farming and moved to the cities looking for work. Farmland was built up into new cities all over the place.

Now, we are no longer producing the excess of grains that we have been for the last 30 years as the US govt is providing incentives to grow for the ethanol program. The supply of foodstuffs is smaller and the demand is ever growing. This raises the price. Now, developing nations cannot afford to feed themselves and can't grow their own food because we undercut them for decades and they no longer have the infrastructure.

We're darned if we do, darned if we don't. We need a third option.

Hybrid cars are currently looking like the best midterm option to me. Of course, they still use gas but they are the test bed for fully electrical cars. Once we go that route though, we need to find a better way to generate the electricity. Nuclear is one alternative that people are very afraid of, but with advances in the field, we are able to better control the reaction to the extent that an event like Chernobyl and the Three Mile Island should never happen again. - A long term -read 5000 years- nuclear waste storage site is being built out in the US desert. We have the technology, we have the means of cleaning up the mess, we need the willpower to use both.

Heck, we could even have a small 200 kilowatt nuclear power plant for each neighborhood. Small, off the grid. It's all decentralized, which would put the power where it's needed. Here's a link: http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/nex ... 2.17b.html

There's also wind power, solar collectors, geothermal, and wave power.

Put all of those together and I bet we could pin down a good sized hunk of the world's power needs with a safe, renewable resource.

I watched Dirty Jobs on my lunch. Mike was at a dairy farm where they collect all the manure, process it in giant tanks, and collect methane, which is used to fuel engines that generate electricity to power the whole farm. Anything solid left in the manure after processing is used to fertilize the crops that get fed to the cows.

We need more business models like this. Take what would be considered waste and turn it into a revenue and energy saving device. Green isn't just about the environment, it's also the color of good business!
/rant
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat May 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Kitsune wrote: learning how to terraform to make more habitable worlds
HEL Lass, they can not terraform the EARTH (Africa, Australia, Gobi, Nevada, etc). How do you expect them to do it billions of miles away?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 am

Okay, true...

So this is where I'd like to think we're going eventually though...

I don't need perfect weather or perfect land conditions... so maybe more like Terraforming in Firefly...

One day, it'll work! (I hope :oops: ;) )

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 am

Some more to add...
OTTAWA — Canada's federal prisons are becoming bewitched.
According to figures obtained by Sun Media under Access to Information, the number of practising Wiccans and Pagans behind bars has tripled in the last five years. In 2002 there were just 25, compared to 77 in 2007, data from the Correctional Service of Canada show.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/ ... 413011.html

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon May 05, 2008 2:15 pm

I used to live right across from the women's penitentiary in Kingston. I remember meeting the priestess who was a chaplain there. I think I posted somewhere else how great it was, the United church of Canada did a huge campaign to make chaplains of other religions available in the prisons. I was very proud of the Church then.

I don't know if this same service is available in the military yet. I will have to call a friend and ask about that.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)