Nature

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Nature

Post by Willow » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm

An interesting thought occurred to me on my run today.

I think we all define nature in very specific ways.

I mean think of nature what usually comes ti mind, oceans, trees, mountains, animals, storms, stuff like that.

There are some things that don't pop into our minds like deserts, swamps, or tarpits, but these are part of nature too. What brought me to this was I grew up near a very large wetland/swamp reserve, I took my friend and well, she was underwhelmed (She said it smelled, too many bugs etc).

There is definitely a connection between where you grew up and your understanding of Nature. However, it is interesting that more idyllic images seem to pop into our minds (or at least mine anyway).

I was also thinking, do we need to re-frame our own minds to see aspects of nature that may not be immediately appealing as beautiful? Just interested in people's thoughts.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

MaryE101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MaryE101 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm

that's a really interesting point. I'd never thought about it quite that way. I've done a lot of travelling to when I think of nature I tend to think of some of the more awe-inspireing locations, but a lot of it depends on what mood I'm in as to what images pop up first. Neat point though.

Mary E
"Our strength is often composed of the weaknesses we're damned if we're going to show." - Mignon McLaughlin

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:26 pm

My thoughts of Nature are always of the exact same place... An old growth forest, at mid-day with bright green foliage, magnificent huge trees, and (always) a brilliantly clear pool about 10 feet diameter, fed by a stream within easy walking distance.

I don't know why, but everytime I go to visit my guides or my subconscious, I end up there. And thus, that's what I consider nature to be. :-?

I've never even been to this place... I do think of other world climates, but definately less than an old growth temperate forest.

I do appreiciate all nature, even if I'm pissed off at trudging through mud at that very moment, though. #-o

Our minds naturally think of places of beauty, because that's where we feel most comfortable, I think. Any other ideas.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:38 am

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid--
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:54 am

Nicely done, Ragnar ;)

I actually only know the first line of the original song. I've sung the Python version so many times it's the one I automatically think of. I've offended no small number of old ladies.

At any rate, it brings to mind that episode of South Park where they are trying to save the rainforest, or something. They go on a field trip. Horrible things happen involving spiders and so on. Someone is killed and eaten by a snake. By the end of it they hate the rainforest so much, they WANT it to be cut down.

We all have these nice romantic dreams of running naked through the forest. For some reason, these dreams do not include brambles, nettles, inconveniently placed tree roots, animal droppings, wandering photographers, cutty grass or sudden drops in temperature.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:42 am

Something I wrote a while back, which I think is relevant here;

To become a Shamman all previous concepts of the world need to be adjusted, not thrown out, as all experience is possibly useful. The Shamman learns to "shut off the internal dialogue", a phrase well known to readers of Carlos Castaneda. The part of us that sees the world as "normal" or "abnormal" must be forgotten. I.e. pre conceived conceptions, and perceptions. People see ghosts, or receive E.S.P. messages which, because of their lack of awareness or training, may confuse or even frighten them.

The message, in short, makes no sense. It is not "normal". Most people do things "because that’s the way it ‘should’ be done", i.e. "What would the neighbours think?".

Likewise people believe things because they have been told that, that is the way "normal" people think. On this they base their whole life, persona, ego, etc. For any one to hold a different view, or set of beliefs, attacks their very "self image". It rips away the defence mechanism that they have built for themselves based on the word "should", or their personalized concept of "normal".

One characterization of this is that they invariably rely on other people’s view of "normal", creative thought is not an optional extra on this model. It is both the warrior and the shamans task to utilize these "abnormal" wavelengths. Turning themselves into the transmitters of spiritual information, advice and order. The spirit world of the shaman would, perhaps, scare most people. They are entering somewhere totally alien to most peoples perceptions.(This is not the same as saying it is abnormal. "Abnormal" comes from the refusal to accept the total concept.).

(Where I have written "normal", the same goes, I feel, for "nice").

Imagine… if you will, a land new to your total life experience to that point. Where ants form into roving, basketball-size clumps that roll around the forest. ExplOdhing into millions of individual flesh-eating insects, live human flesh. With one intent, to attack and destroy the person or animal that the ball hit against. Producing enough poison to kill the fittest person in seconds.

Flying insects may accidentally poison you in hunting other insects that happen to land on you. Trees can not be touched because either, they have thorns that will tear the skin like a hot chainsaw, or they swarm with insects that, like the ants, will attack as one any perceived threat, such as a badly-placed hand, arm or foot brushing against them.

A place where it is dangerous to urinate into any water because organisms will climb the stream and settle in the body, eventually eating away the flesh.

A version of Christian hell? Simply the rain forests of Peru and the rest of South America. Yet people have lived with these problems for millennia.

And they LIKE it!! :roll:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Very well put, Ragnar!

Nature to me is the breeze that has swam through the trees, through the deserts, across oceans. It's the vibration of Earth herself. Funny how you can stare for a good fifteen minutes at a pile of dirt, and only after realize that it is moving, and you have been staring at a live hill of ants.

There is life everywhere. Nature is Life, to me. Nature is what is Natural.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG