Dealing with other Pagans

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Dealing with other Pagans

Post by Willow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Hey All, have ever had another pagan who you worked with or was in your circle of friends?

There is this one lady at school and she keeps dropping paganism as an excuse for reprehensible behaviour such as publicly embarrassing other people (ie me) when there is a disagreement or yelling at students and co-workers.

Her excuse.."we pagans don't believe in bottling thigs up. And if we call her on her unprofessional behaviour...

"I'm a pagan and you are persecuting me" I don't mean to be rude, but a good one fifth of the department is pagan, or some other sort of earth bound religion.

Anyway, I tried talking to her and she just screamed at me. So I followed the school procedures on non verbal harrassment and intimidation (she cornered me and promised to make my life miserable). I Don't really want to be her friend, but I wouldn't mind at least a cordial professional relationship. Any thoughts on dealing with difficult people you feel like you should inherently get along with?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Personally, I've had such bad experience with people acting like that that I'm a little ruthless.

I don't think you CAN get along with someone who obviously feels they have a reason to act like a total jerk.

As for the "I'm pagan and you're persecuting me" line...you're pagan too, right? And from one pagan to another..."STOP MAKING OUR FAITH LOOK BAD BY BEING A JERK!" is a good line. The "This is why Christians call us EVIL" is another good one.

I'm sorry, I have no patience for someone who's basically abusive. I grew up with verbally abusive parents...and I won't tolerate it anymore. That's one of the reasons I no longer talk to my family...b/c of their cut-downs.

So, no, I don't think you CAN get along with her...you can only hope to give her a verbal smack-down enough that she'll go look for an easier victim to bully.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Sorry, I edited this to add it to this post... that way we can delete the other one since they're the same.

I've found that a good solid crack to the head of the offending person tends to smarten them up right quick... :-D

Oh, I'm sorry, you meant in a non-violent fashion didn't you... :-?

That's always more difficult. Especially since this person sounds like she's only pagan for the benefits it grants her. The ye' old "if you don't give me respect I obviously haven't earned, I will make your life a living hell..."

Really, everybody hits the "eggshell" phase, dutifully named since others much continually walk on eggshells simply to be around you, but it's a mark of a bad personality when they can't at least attempt to be professional about it.

Tell her to grow up and get over it... And if she doesn't like it, she can call me and I'll then deliver the appropriate crack on the head for you. :lol:

I agree with Kystar. No patience for this sort of idiot.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Ah, Kitsune, you just made my job all that much easier!!

Willow, good on you for standing your ground in a political manner. I also have no patience for anyone behaving that way, especially using their faith as an excuse, and even more so if it is MY faith!

I think you are being very diplomatic and this way you have everything in writing. Now, what can be done to mend the broken wing of Paganism? I suppose just being a good example
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:26 pm

Two can play at the "it's my religion, stop persecuting me" game.

Threaten her with a disciplinary for "insulting your beliefs by bringing them into disrepute".

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:12 am

I agree with every one else on this... just because your pagan (or any other religion for that matter), doesn't mean you get to get out of everything or be a "bully". You, as a human being, have to respect other people just as anyone else would... and being overly sensitive is definitely NOT cool!!! :evil:

Oh, and I like the line Kystar said, "This is why christians call us EVIL!"... It adds alittle flair... :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:40 pm

yeah...I have noticed she is one of those people who is also manipulative. She is all sugar and honey when she wants something.

IF she yells at me again I will continue to report it to higher and higher people until something happens. IF the pagan bomb gets dropped again I think I am going to have to take a jump out of the broom closet and come out swinging. Honsetly, she is the reason why I don't really talk about my beleifs to uch at school, I don't want people associating my beliefs with hers at all.

Thanks guys...I was kind of worried that maybe I was being hard on her because she is pagan my pacifist anti-conflict side always tends to blame myself for this stuff first.

I grew up in a yelling home as well. It doens't scare me but I sure don't want to have to deal with it in my workplace.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 am

Tell her the tory about Loké getting his lips sewn up for being too mouthy. :lol:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:13 am

Sorry. Doble post. But if you have already read the first. You will miss what I have to say.

Thinkingh about it, this Woman is VERY much like Loké.

I will root out some stories for you to "leave" on her desk. :lol: