Ideas for Early Learning-stylee pagan toys?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
mischief
Level 2
Level 2

Ideas for Early Learning-stylee pagan toys?

Post by mischief » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:27 am

I'm in the UK briefly visiting friends and Family, and I've been looking around for appropriate toys for my 3 year-old god-daughter Megan. Her parents are Craft oldtimers, and I want to fulfil my role of godfather as best I can. I'm a bit new to this (as I'm sure my posts elsewhere will attest!) and I can't find anything around other than cuddly witches. I'm not particularly artistic (though I have as much fun splashing paint around as any child!), but I'm a passable carpenter, and I like the idea of making things rather than buying them.

I've asked her mum and dad for ideas, and they just look at me rather slyly and say it's a great idea, and I should do that - but without supplying any ideas.. From which I'm guessing it's as much about my education as Megan's!!

All I can think of is building blocks with pagan symbols on. Plus, she's getting to an age where she's starting to get interested in the alphabet, and I thought maybe one of those 'A is for apple, B is for Ball' posters - though, obviously, with rather more significant examples.

I guess too the most important question is, what do you think the basic principles are that such toys should teach?

All ideas and thoughts gratefully received!

Happy New Moon!
"We shape the Gods as much as they shape us" - Mary Renault

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:07 am

My little niece is now four (and a half, she will quickly remind you) and she was living with me until half a year ago. One thing that I tried to do with her first thing was take her outside to meet the spirits of the forest whom I was/is great friends with. Anything to do with the outdoors is usually a big hit with any kid, and is inherantly Pagan.

I love the idea of the building blocks, but another idea is a dreamcatcher. It may not be part of your spirituality, but dreamcatchers seem to have spread like wildfire in popularity. They are incredibly easy to make - I started making them when I was about five. You could find out her favourite colours (even if it's hot pink!), buy some leather, and get cracking, or even supply the materials and make it a kit - kids love things that they can make themselves, but you'll want to use materials that are easy to work with. For instance, instead of leather to wrap around the ring, include ribbon and some glue.

This was a really good idea for my niece, who has been having bad dreams lately, mostly from her mother saying she will visit one weekend, then completely blowing her off. Whenever that happens, she doesn't sleep, and often wakes up with nightmares, which just about breaks my heart.

Any Pagan kids books you can find are a really cool idea. Or you could make a good-luck charm for her. Something I did for my niece one birthday is crochet a little dollie, then Reikied it (sent positive energy) for a really long time. She loved it - and that way she had something to sleep with that was full of love and good energy. The mother promptly buried it underneath all her other toys where she couldn't find it, distracting her with other ones, but it was the thought that counted, and when she did find it, she loved it. You could do the same with a toy car you make, or any other such thing.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 am

I agree with CHL on the dream catcher thing... those things are very simple. all you need is somthing round, flat, and with a hole in the middle and some colored string.

but i think that you could probably do symbols, like match them to their meanings... and then put it on a wooden board, cut out the symbol having different shapes so one symbol won't fit in the wrong spot and pretty much work off of that.

I don't know if this is any help, but good luck!
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:35 am

Well, you can't go wrong with a book of mythology from around the world...as a lot of pagan stuff starts there.

Finding or making a doll or stuffed animal that can be charged as a "Dream Guardian" would be a good idea, but not really on the learning side, more on the protection side. (I had a stuffed wolf that used to drive nightmares away by either attacking the monster or by making it look stupid with puppy play.)

If you're REALLY good with wood, you can pick one or two myths that have meaning to the child's parents, and make a scenery/doll set to act out the myth's actions. Sort of like a doll-house/puppet show.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:45 pm

I liek those Ideas, I;ll throw out my own, you say the child is starting to like the alphabet, so you can make those building blocks with letters on them as well as Rune symbols, or both, The parents are telling you basically that whatever you get her, she will love.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Giving her a set of blocks with runes on it was my idea as well. Man, that would have been an awesome gift. I'll have to consider making a set for my little one if I ever have one. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 am

I'm late to the party but STOP STEALING MY IDEAS! Blocks with runes is a fantastic idea.

I was also thinking maybe a Pentacle puzzle made out of wood and painted with colors to represent the various elements would make an interesting toy.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

mischief
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mischief » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Blocks with runes, of course! Fantastic idea, I'll make 'em, we'll split the proceeds equally among us!!

I like the idea of a dreamcatcher, tho I pity the sprite that takes on Meg in dreamland LOL

A shapes board is a great idea, I like the thought of something which represents the seasons, based round the Sabbats, maybe I could combine the two.

Great ideas, got the old grey matter churning nicely, time to sharpen me chisels! :chain: Many thanks :-D

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I like the idea of a dreamcatcher, tho I pity the sprite that takes on Meg in dreamland LOL
No sprites ^^ the beads are guardians. The bad dreams get caught in the dreamcatcher, like a spider's web. When the sun rises, they are transmuted to light.

The cutest thing I ever witnessed in a metaphysical store: A man walks in with his child, and the store just had a delivery of dreamcatchers from a local artist. The kid said, "Dad, I think I need a new dreamcatcher. I think my other one is full."

:oops: Cute kids!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Another interesting thing to make her would be a small set of advent calendars that count down to the major transitions...like one to count the days from Fall to Winter Solstice, and from Winter to Spring, to Summer.

For those who might not know, an Advent calendar is an interactive calendar that is usually used to count down to Christmas...each "day" is either a drawer or a pouch...and there's a gift in each.

Now, to make a seasonal one, you could make it four sided...and put little reusable toys in for each season, including stuff that teaches about the lesser holidays that are in between the Solstices and Equinoxes.

Just a thought.

mischief
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mischief » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:17 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: A man walks in with his child, and the store just had a delivery of dreamcatchers from a local artist. The kid said, "Dad, I think I need a new dreamcatcher. I think my other one is full."
ROTFL That's hilarious! :lol:

I like the idea of an advent calendar, but maybe one which lasts the whole year, it's a great way of emphasising the cyclical nature of... well, Nature! Everturning, everchanging. Looks like we're gonna be busy...

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:50 am

be careful with that calender... you gotta count leap-years ya know! ;)

I'm sure you'll think of something though. :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:02 pm

be careful with that calender... you gotta count leap-years ya know!
Unless it's a lunar cycle year!

Ha ha, I never thought of the leap year, though!

Did you know, now that it is a leap year, "traditionally" this is the only time a woman is allowed to propose to a man, and if he refuses, he must buy her a silk gown. O_O For some reason, I keep getting told this.
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Urgh, I forgot about those! Dratted Civilization making things more complicated!

Really? Traditionally that's the only time a woman is supposed to be able to propose? Weird.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:29 pm

I know. Very strange. I told my boyfriend, and he wasn't too happy that he owes me a silk gown! (All because HE wants to be the one to propose. Pfffft. Oh well. Saves me making the wedding dress ^_^ )
Crazy Healer Lady