Prayer Beads

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Prayer Beads

Post by Jescissa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:12 pm

I finally made some prayer beads today. I intended to do this for a while, but today I was drawn to do it (even though I have a mountain of university work to be getting along with!) :lol:

It is dedicated to the Horned God, which I find a little strange because when I planned to make prayer beads I had the Triple Goddess in mind and was already sourcing appropriate beads and cord for that. I was tidying my room today and found green cords, green glass beads, brown wooden beads and best of all, an antler tine key ring! I immediately set about putting them together.

When I get a good picture I will put it up here! The beads are similar to a Catholic Rosary, a loop of beads with a small tail of beads coming off it. In total there are 29 beads on it, including the three beads and antler tine on the 'tail'; 8 long wooden beads, 4 round wooden beads, 4 green clay beads, one green knot of cord and 8 green glass beads on the main loop. While the wooden beads are similar in texture, the green beads (and knot) all feel different so that while I'm using them I'll know where I've got to!

I don't really know what to do with it now I've made it :lol: One reason is that I was going to make one for the Goddess first, but the God beat Her to it. I suppose that now I've made it for Him, He will give me some inspiration as to how to use it!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:43 pm

That's awesome!! I made one long ago with my triquetra as the pendant, using stones as beads. During a test, a really difficult time at work, or in prayer, they really really come in handy. In Catholicism you are not supposed to wear a rosary around your neck - don't ask me why. I've tried for ages to get it explained to me, of WHY it is disrespectful, but no one will tell me! I still wore mine around my neck.

My triquetra is ever-changing, though :P It was on a black cord, then on the rosary, and now on a simple silver chain. It seems to shift as I shift.

I would love to see pics!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Here's a picture, it's not very good, but it's the best I have. My digital camera is awful!

I think one reason wearing a rosary as a necklace is disrespectful is the vanity aspect. While you're wearing it, you're not using it and you're inviting people to see it as a piece of jewellery instead of a devotional item. At least that's what I've been led to understand.

I really love the symbolism of the triquetra! I have one embroidered on a bag from Nepal.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:40 am

IT IS BEAUTIFUL! Really, that is very amazing! Really, really beautiful!

I love the triquetra, too. More than any symbol I love it and it almost sings to me. I suppose this is what many feel about the pentagram, and what others feel of the cross, although how a symbol of torture and sacrifice can sing I have no idea.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:49 am

It sings because you are constantly humbled by the love it took for him to endure that torture.

I don't know why I knew that... It's not like I was a good christian OR catholic before I found my path. :-?

It really is a gorgeous set of prayer beads though. And I can see where they'd come in handy during rough times during the day. If the Lord of the hunt will let you, tell us what you end up doing with them. Don't worry about your camera, it's more than clear enough, since we can't walk up and feel the energy ourselves (cause let's face it, we all like doing it, even if it is bad manners #-o )

For me, a symbol that's really been meaningful to me lately, is that of wings... They seem to symbolize freedom, and my heart sings to those! Even the Bat wings drawn can send my heart soaring after them... Strangely enough though, insect wings do nothing... Butterflys excluded, of course. #-o Actually now that I think on it, it's a weird sort of thing that butterflys, moths and dragonflys can do it, but not bees and flies and such... Hmmm, Something to think on! ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:27 am

It sings because you are constantly humbled by the love it took for him to endure that torture.
Thank you ^_^ Helps me understand.
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:17 pm

that is a beautiful set of beads. you will have to let us know if it helps you.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:34 pm

Thank you all for being so kind :-D I haven't yet put them into practice, I'm working on a small mantra to recite as I rotate the beads, once I've composed it I'll let you know how it goes!

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:15 am

Very pretty! :D

I've a mantra of sorts for prayer beads that I constructed from parts of the Charge of the Goddess and a couple of different Charges of the God. Perhaps a Charge might be an aid to composing your mantra?

I've planned out the beads I want to use, but there aren't any bead-selling places where I live so I haven't been able to make them yet ;)

Has anyone ever bought any of the beads from Cauldron Farm?
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Oh, nice. I've never seen them before, but I'm going to have to take a long look later... when I'm not at work. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews