Non-Theist Pagans?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Non-Theist Pagans?

Post by Jescissa » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:40 am

I'm a member of a Facebook group called *Paganism and Wicca* and someone recently advertised a group for Pagans who don't believe in Gods, not strictly anti-God Pagans, but non-theists nonetheless. I've never met a Pagan (or Heathen for that matter) who doesn't believe in Gods, although I have met Wiccans who don't strictly believe in an actual God and Goddess, and believe they are archetypes rather than actual beings.

Are there many non-theist Pagans out there and how do they relate to the majority (I would assume anyway) of Pagans who *do* believe in Gods?
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 am

You have met one, me. :-D

honestly, my view mainly is that there is primal energy that can be manipulated. I can sympathize with other views however, i just interpret things a little differently.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Yay! :-D

It's similar to how my Wiccan friends see the world. They respect nature and the natural world, but they see the 'Gods' as more a human way of understanding that energy, rather than actual god-like figures.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Anthropomorphised all powerful beings...no. Are there possibly beings who are more in tune with the universe than me, yes.

We shoudl start a pagan library group on facebook. Sounds like a job for the mods.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:05 pm

We shoudl start a pagan library group on facebook. Sounds like a job for the mods.
For the Librarian, methinks :D

I used to only believe in energy, in the collective conscious, Unity. I still do, but I believe in the gods/goddesses that the energy shines through as well, so I don't know :P I guess it's sort of like the basic principles of Hinduism, with Brahma/Brahm shining through all the gods/goddesses.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:08 pm

OT

Is librarian even on facebook?

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 pm

Nope. Not even MySpace. Tried Second Life, but found it too buggy.

I've got this place and http://www.weygold.us/

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:05 am

While I believe in the gods, Grimwell does not. We went to a MeetUp in Calgary for pagans earlier this week, and a few of them were appalled by his admission that he doesn't worship the gods, although he understands that there are bigger and badder things out them than him... He just doesn't feel that he needs to Kowtow for 'extra' power as he sees it. If he can't do it already, then obviously he needs to train himself more. :lol:

Mind you, I'm speaking for Grimwell here, and when I tell him about this post, I may have to come on and re-post "in his words" how it works for him... He's always saying that I say it wrong! :lol: ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am

Kitsune wrote:While I believe in the gods, Grimwell does not. We went to a MeetUp in Calgary for pagans earlier this week, and a few of them were appalled by his admission that he doesn't worship the gods, although he understands that there are bigger and badder things out them than him... He just doesn't feel that he needs to Kowtow for 'extra' power as he sees it. If he can't do it already, then obviously he needs to train himself more. :lol:
That's what i kinda figure, i believe there are larger entities out there (by larger i mean more powerful) than humans but i think that you should rely on yourself first

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:31 pm

It is kind of hard for me to give specifics on what I believe.

I believe in, for lack of a better name, the Divine. {no snickers from the Andromeda crowd please} The Divine has no form, has no agenda, has no deep seated to even be worshiped. It is the energies of the Universe with a conciousness.

It is also not understandable by us at this level. Which is why there are so many different religions. Each had a glimmer of the whole a built up around what they understood. To use a Heinleinian expression, "I do not know the nine million names of God (or the Divine), but I know It's there."

But the Divine is truly a "god of good" as many other pretenders to that title are not. You are judged for being you, not how much homage you paid or how much lip service you gave. When you pass to the next world, the Divine gives you what you believe, as long as you have been a good person in that belief. Christians get Heaven - Muslims get Paradise - Norse get Valhalla etc and so forth. But this is merely a reward for service as it then uses those images and places to guide you to the next level of understanding when such trappings will no longer be necessary.

I like the way CHL used the expression of the greater shining through the lesser, because that is the way I feel. By being a good person in the ways of Wicca, a faith of this world - I am being a good person for the Divine that transcends all worlds.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:42 pm

Well, I obviously have met non-theist Pagans then! :lol: In my experience though the Pagans I have met have believed in God figures, so it is a new thing to hear about this. It doesn't sound a-theist though, just a different kind of experience of a higher energy or force.

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:31 am

Jescissa wrote:Well, I obviously have met non-theist Pagans then! :lol: In my experience though the Pagans I have met have believed in God figures, so it is a new thing to hear about this It doesn't sound a-theist though, just a different kind of experience of a higher energy or force.
You got it! :-D

Glad to help you understand. :-D

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 pm

Yahhhh!

I don't have to re-explain in Grimwell's own words... I got it close enough to right to make him happy!

He wanted me to also say that he agrees with Underlilith. He seemed pleased to find someone else who understands how he does stuff!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 am

Kitsune wrote:Yahhhh!

I don't have to re-explain in Grimwell's own words... I got it close enough to right to make him happy!

He wanted me to also say that he agrees with Underlilith. He seemed pleased to find someone else who understands how he does stuff!
Thank you, I also am pleased to see that someone understands my way of thinking. :-D

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:03 am

This is what I love about this group, I really love the experience of learning more about Paganism and the way different Pagans practice and follow their paths :-D I've got a warm, fuzzy feeling now!