Educating People About the REAL Wicca

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Educating People About the REAL Wicca

Post by Mahala » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 am

I was thinking recently, "Gee, wouldn't it be better if I could help properly educate people about the TRUE, REAL, NON-FANTASY wicca.
Not personally, but offering them to come visit this forum and read up a bit, ya know? ;) I was thinking of using my account at the horse forum to put a post with links to all the really good sites that have decent pieces of TRUE information on them and just ask a couple of my good horsey friends to go look.
Do you think this is a good idea, or if it is even worth it? (Knowing some people absolutey REFUSE to learn anything new.)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:51 am

Sure, it is a good idea - the ones with open minds will come - the others won't.

Just be prepared of course for the inevitable stereotypical comment or witch basher.

In the forum I borrowed the Bumper sticker idea from - after I posted my list, some of which are obviously pagan based - I received the following comment:
no offense, but are you a christian hating wiccan? bent on making us believe that being a badly dressed goth emo kid weilding a pack of cards and a stick you just broke off of a tree is the way the whole world should turn?

or are you just a PMS'ing pagan female in the body of a man?
And this idiot was jumped on by several people, until I made my comments:
{to the other posters who rallied in my defense}
Oh, no worries - my skin is far thicker than that. Plus I make allowances for the inexperiences of youth. He is after all nearly 20 years my junior. Matter of fact, he was born only a year and a half before I started making chain. {Aren't actually reading profiles a real help}
{to the bone head}
You seem to have a highly skewed and almost completely false idea of what "Wiccan" is. Which if you dated someone like your description, is understandable - but sad. It also hasn't been help by modern portrayals like Charmed, Buffy or The Covenant. And it also seems that you have minimal knowledge of goth or emo either. Not surprising as most of those even involved barely have a grasp of the lifestyles involved - to them it's just a fad.

As I've grown in my new beliefs, I have oft run into those who either have such misconceptions or just outright adverseness for them, including being called an agent of Satan {He's not in the Wiccan pantheon} - hence some of them - especially the last one.

But in general - I got most of them because they were funny, they reflect my somewhat warped sense of humor and either start or stop many conversations.
Not heard a peep from him since.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:40 am

I did it. Here it is.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/ho ... 58856.html

I accidentally put up TWO threads on it though, and I PMed a mod to scrap the booboo one. :oops:

Scathach
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scathach » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:44 pm

I always think it's great when people offer information. Yeah, some people get riled, but the game's worth the candle. The understanding it engenders is invaluable. Good for you!
-Z. deScathach of the Backwater Pinetree Node