New Addition to My Family, and My Spiritual family

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:45 pm

I haven't done any work with Spider, but her children scare me to high heaven. While I really don't like to see them killed, the only one's that earn the exception are the poisonous ones. If there is a spider here, I ask David to take it outside rather than kill it.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Ah... We got another tarantula last Friday, a Mexican Red Knee.

Later, on Sunday, Rosie started a molt, his Ultimate Molt, which is when they transition from sub-adult to a fully mature male. We had no idea it would be the Ultimate Molt, and, as often happens... his pedipalps got completely stuck... We could have done surgery to get him out of this, but he had torn off the rest of the exuvium (old skin), and we had no way to keep him still while we gently cut away the old skin. We did everything we could, but while we were away, he struggled so hard that he broke his left pedipalp, and ripped the other one, and this morning he removed both of them. So... he's just a sider with a body, fangs, and eight legs.

Hopefully he will learn a way to eat properly, as pedipalps are what they use to help them, sort of like hands for us. We're just praying now and doing all that we can. :(

On the plus side, the red-knee ate her first meal today since her molt :)

I have learned so much from Rosie's (Omega's) molt. He made a bed of silk that he would go through the process on, and it really reminded me of Sacred Space. He fasted for weeks before the molt, and of course the removal of the pedipalps, which are secondary sexual organs as well, to complete the process, but without these, he may starve. He has grown about another inch, and he is HUGE, but soft for the first few days and extremely fragile. I was so surprised he did not injure himself too badly other than the pedipalp injury in his struggles.

Yeah... :( So that's my update.

I'm finding Grandmother Spider has a lot to teach...

By the way, for those who want to know what pedipalps look like:
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm ... natomy.gif

And this is what a Mexican Red Knee looks like, though this isn't ours. She immediately began burrowing a little home when we got her, and I haven't got the pics loaded yet.
http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/tenc ... legsx9.jpg

And I am only posting links ;) I won't post full-out pics for those of you that are freaked out by spiders. :D
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:34 am

Once again, for you I am happy... But I will continue to appreiciate from a distance! :lol:

Blessings for Rosie though... I hope she's okay. I never realized that molting could actually hurt them. :-?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:26 am

Moulting sounds like a pretty traumatic experience, I guess that it is Spider's coming of age and a test of their knowledge and experience to pass into adulthood. Poor Rosie!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Aww poor spider.

I just realised the background for your pic is some naked guy :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:31 am

Like I said, it's not MY spider, but some guy's on the internet :P I was aware of the guy, but it's one of the best mexican redknee pics I could find :P
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:22 am

That's actually quite fascinating, I didn't know all that about molting. I hope your spider eats alright, but I gotta say I can't feel TOO sympathetic for the creature.

But I'm working on that fear, I really am! I just get a little disturbed when I can actually see hair. Or if they move quickly, I always think they're going to eat my face or something.

*cough* Shh!

But yes, I hope Rosie gets along okay.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 am

I just get a little disturbed when I can actually see hair
Ohhhhhh you shouldn't see my spiders then... O_O Uh... VERY hairy. Incredibly hairy. In fact, like most new-world spiders, their hairs are their first defense, because they will flick them off if they are in trouble and if it gets into the lungs/eyes/nose of its attacker, the hairs are very irritating.

My niece loves them though ^__^ And so does my mom!
Crazy Healer Lady