Why are we here?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Why are we here?

Post by Mahala » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:43 pm

I saw this question come up on the horse forum and I wanted to get your opinions.

In my opinion:
We're here because of evolution. Fishes, to apes, to us.
I believe we have no infinite value. We are here for the same reason that all animals are here. We have no reason to be here, but we are, so we better do as many stupid things as possible and enjoy life right to the end.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:40 pm

As Part of the food chain.

Hel, without me the place would b overflowing with pigs. :-D

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Oooh, one of the big questions! I don't know how to answer this because no one really knows, we just know what we think.

If you're asking "Why are we on this earth?" then, yup, it's most "likely" because of evolution. Science works on a different principle than everyone else. When we say theory we mean 'rough idea', when science says theory it means 'pretty good idea, but could be disproven one day' because science doesn't seek to 'prove' a concept, rather it seeks to disprove it in order to learn more.

If you're asking "Why does this universe exist and why are we in it?" then I have no idea. The scope of the universe is so vast and the beings who created it are so incredible that I don't think I could comprehend it if I tried!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:54 pm

My personal belief is that we are the Divine experiencing Itself. I believe that through mortal limitations we can more fully grasp the Divine, which is us, hence such a strong longing to connect with Divine or find our niche in SOME way, find SOME purpose.

I won't go into too much detail. I think I've done that on too many threads here ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:20 pm

I don't know. I think I am pretty happy not knowing.

My role though, I am here to entertain, if there are gods, they definately were laughing when they created me.

Ragna, thank you for keeping those pigs in check...I don't suppose you like squirells? We have a bit of an infestation going on here.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:50 pm

Willow wrote: Ragna, thank you for keeping those pigs in check...I don't suppose you like squirells? We have a bit of an infestation going on here.
We have here as well. Strange coloured ones too. Almost black, but aubern when the sun hits them.

We have about ten in the garden.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:16 pm

Hmmm. I have a little creature here who could help you, Willow... mwa ha ha ha... See my thread on New Addition to My Family!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:40 pm

There's only one answer I can think of:

Why not????????

I prefer to just enjoy life instead of always being busy with wondering. (I leave that to the monotheistic faiths :lol: )
/|\

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 am

See? Mention them and they all come running. :lol:

Speaking of Missing Peoples... General thread.

Hi Katsu, long time no see.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:38 pm

I don't believe that humans are particularly special. I do believe that we're as much an accident of evolution as anything else. But is everything else an accident of evolution? Was it intended? "Is god just a kid playing Sim Earth?" Maybe we're an experiment. Maybe we have some sort of purpose, and it was necessary that we turned up at this time. What purpose that could be I have no idea, as it seems particularly silly to attribute some sort of saviour role to a species that has caused, or at least contributed to, the extinction of so many. As far as the food chain goes, it's kinda a shame that nothing really eats us anymore.

Translation: I have no idea, and I probably never will.

But I do believe that we should experience as much as we can. If the question is "why are we, as individuals, here?" my answer is "to learn, to experience, and to complete certain tasks".
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:16 am

CHL, thanks but I'll take the squirells, they are unlikely to climb on my in my sleep and sit on my face.

I like your answer Katsu
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11 am

You know, my mom was telling me that she saw this interview with this scientist who said that there's a 20% chance that we really are just a computer game for life forms that are more highly advanced than us. If this is the case, I want a new life form playing my character cuz he seems to have a thing for car accidents! :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Scathach
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scathach » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:39 pm

The Ramsey Dukes hypothesis. The idea is that, given the relative surity that we will be able to simulate a universe in a computer eventually, with said universe coming to fruitoin incredibly fast in our terms, and the surity that THEY will also produce a simulation, it's almost certain that in the endless train of simulations, we are one of the simulations rather than the origional. There's all of this reference to the end of the Mayan calender in 2012. Date of the simulation shutdown perhaps?
-Z. deScathach of the Backwater Pinetree Node

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Who watched Reboot? That was an awesome program. But I'd hate the game to end and have everyone get nullified.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:33 pm

I loved Reboot, but it would be a bit depressing to find out we were just sprites getting into and out of games :s
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men