Realm of the Dead

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Realm of the Dead

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 23, 2007 7:18 pm

For those of you who wander the Other Realms, and for those of you who have interest in the subject, what are your thoughts about the theme of the fountain or pools that are found in the Realm of the Dead? This theme of water is prevalent throughout many accounts of the Realm of the Dead, my first thought coming to the pools on the left and the right side of you as you enter this world at the roots of the World Tree Yggdrasil in Celto-Germanic traditions.

Otherwise, I have found accounts of this realm and others to be fluid, changing person to person, Journey to Journey. There have been a few other instances of something that remains fixed throughout religions and experiences, but I am more interested in the water in the Realm of the Dead at the moment.

If you have any comments, what do you believe is the purpose of these fountains or pools? Why is this item fixed while everything else changes around it?

I hope these questions get the wheels turning today 8-)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu May 24, 2007 7:21 am

I think (and i'm guessing here so if i'm wrong, don't shoot me! ;) ) that the water symbolizes the flow of life and it flows all the way through death to life anew. Again, a guess.
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:55 pm

I agree with Underlilith, it makes sense life is ephemeral it flows and continues to do so. Death is not the end of life, but merely a transition to a different realm or as some believe "limbo" to be the pathway to Summerland or back to Earth as reincarnation. Does that make sense? Or the water could symbolize the continuing life here on the plane but linked to the Realm of the Dead, maybe more like a way for those in the Realm of the Dead to watch over us on this plane. I have never traveled there, and really haven't experimented with traveling to other Realms.
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 am

Okay, operation "get the wheels turning:" fail.

Thanks to you both for posting though! Two replies is better than none! I wholeheartedly appreciate them, and your replies have certainly got MY mental wheels turning.

How about this: What OTHER things or themes about the Other Worlds have you witnessed that are static throughout religions and spiritualities around the globe? (Other than the World Tree, and the obvious Divine one form or another)
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 am

To be honest, I haven't really thought about the land of the dead for a while. Personally I believe it is more of a land of rest, a cave of quiet rest than the summer meadow that is a common idea of the next world, and my imagery of this cave of the dead has a lot in common with caves of this world, they're generally dark and damp with stalagmites and stalactites and underground rivers and lakes, so the water theme is still present.

I don't know whether they change for me with each journey, I haven't considered that and I certainly haven't noticed if that is the case, but I think they are different for each of us.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 30, 2007 5:08 pm

Oh wow... Caves. That is very interesting! I have never heard of this before, but it seems very fitting.
Crazy Healer Lady

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Thu May 31, 2007 4:16 am

Umm... here are some of the things i've experienced, be advised these are just what i call them, it may be completely different for you guys.

plane of fire - think of this as lightning EVERYWHERE! Everything is extremely fast-pased (i couldn't keep up with it, i had to get out after what seemed like 2 seconds my first attempt).

Water Plane - think of it as a wave of crushing emotion overcoming you mind, body, and spirit. I had to get out quick... that much emotion unsettles me.

these are some... i really cant think well in the morning so maybe i'll post more tomorrow... :lol:
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:40 pm

What about "Limbo?" Its pretty static among other religions and spiritual beliefs.
_-Taylor-_

"Nothing strengthens the judgment & quickens the conscience like individual responsibility..."

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:00 am

What exactly is 'limbo'? I've never been really knowledgeable about it, so I've never delved in that direction before.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:57 am

Limbo - how I have been raised to understand it - is a place neither Hell nor Heaven, where unbaptised babies go, and those too good for hell but too bad for heaven. The big punishment there is never seeing God, according to Catholicism. It is also used to explain ghosts and other spirits like fae (angels that neither sided with God nor Satan during their big squabble, according to Catholicism).

Limbo is very much like the middle world in which we live. And there are so many spirits that come back to say "HELP! I am lost; what do I do now??" and need help crossing over. It happens actually quite often - especially in this era where we have lost the deathwalker theme. We have docs, priests, and shrinks, but no deathwalkers. The only thing that comes close is institutions like Hospice, where the dying part is taken care of, but the spiritual part is left to someone else - including spiritual care volunteers, who are told only to listen, NEVER to impose. Where is the guiding soul to take those that are lost to the light? Many and most don't need this guiding soul, as they can find their own way with the help of common sense and their Guides, but if they are afraid they may flee.

So it is my opinion that because of very strong attempts to make known their condition, and the amazing psychic abilities one has after a loved one passes away, that the idea of limbo has remained static in religion because proof of its existence (I hesitate to use the term "proof" when discussing religion) keeps bombarding those who are living.
Crazy Healer Lady

Desiderata20
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Desiderata20 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Very well put. :-D
_-Taylor-_

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:29 am

Ahh. Ok, well I guess I don't believe in limbo then :lol: My experiences of the land of the dead is of a large cave of rest, not of excitement or joy or anything other than resting the soul after the exertions of life (I think everyone can agree that life is no picnic!) The souls in the cave can wander back to the land of the living from time to time and particularly important souls can be called back if there is unfinished business or guidance to be sought, but generally the idea is that you put your feet up after this life has ended and have a good long rest until you're reborn.