My article is now up at Witchvox!

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

My article is now up at Witchvox!

Post by Jescissa » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:10 am

You can read it here! Feedback would be really great!

I wrote it last year and sent it in. I didn't know it would take this long to put up, but I suppose they have to deal with loads and loads of articles wanting to be put up and a huge backlog as well!

I feel so honoured to be on Witchvox!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Post by Sapphire » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:37 am

I admit I only read it briefly, but it seems to be really great - well done! And congratulations on being the High Priestess at your friend's wedding.

There seem to be a lot of conflicting viewpoints on WitchVox about the pentacle. Some don't want to wear it at all, saying that it invokes a lot of Fundy abuse (that may be so, and I agree to a point), but others rhapsodise on the merits of openly flaunting the symbol to the public. You've covered both views, and so it makes your essay as a whole a good reference point for anyone who may be confused about whether or not to wear the pentacle. I'm intrigued about your interpretation of the symbolism, though -
When I look at my own, I see humanity as the star, and the circle surrounding the star is the wonderful earth we all live on.
While I don't intend to disagree with you, I just want to know how you came up with such an idea, since it's one I haven't heard before.

~ Sapphy
Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens ~
Douglas Jerrold

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:18 am

Hey very nice :) I particularly love these parts:
What does the pentacle mean to me? When I look at my own, I see humanity as the star, and the circle surrounding the star is the wonderful earth we all live on. I can also see the star representing the Sun and God, the circle representing the Moon and Goddess. On my personal pentacle, the trefoil knot on top symbolizes the three facets of Goddess; Maiden, Mother and Crone. In my own personal beliefs, it also symbolizes the three facets of God; Youth, Father and Elder.

I wear this pentacle as a simple Witch, an enthusiastic student and a dedicated priestess. When I wear the pentacle out, I am aware that it could be seen and recognized. This makes me, and everyone who wears a pentacle openly, ambassadors of our faith.

If we are seen wearing one, we are assumed to be knowledgeable about Paganism and a few of the myriad religions that come under that umbrella, the same as a person wearing a Star of David brooch would be assumed to be Jewish and therefore know something about Judaism. We might be called upon to answer questions on our beliefs and in that capacity we find ourselves being spokesperson for millions of others
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 am

I think the controversy over pentacle wearing comes down to where you live. I live in Wales, and in a pretty liberal area of Wales at that. I've met a few fundies, but most of the time people are pretty unconcerned with the religious choices of others. In other words, it's quite safe for me to go around wearing a pent necklace, or pent earrings or pent ring. Most people won't understand the symbolism anyway, I've had people appreciate and admire a pair of pent earrings before now without commenting on the Pagan part of them.

The symbolism was one I'd read in an article and I liked it because it seemed to fit my pentacle especially. My pentacle (as I described it in the article) has a trifoil/triquetra at the top of the pentacle, where it hangs from a chain, so the whole thing (in my mind) symbolises me, the Earth and the Gods; the three loops of the triquetra are Maiden/Mother/Crone and Youth/Father/Elder simultaneously. The pentacle has five points, (head, arms and legs), and it's surrounded by a circle, that I take to be the Earth.

CHL, thank you :-D It was logical extension of something my parents have taught me since I was very small. We live in a close-knit community, so if I was out playing with my friends and was naughty, it would soon get around and get back to my parents and grandparents. My grandparents are very well known and respected in the area too. My parents taught me that I am one of four ambassadors of our household and what I send out and do outside our home reflects back on what kind of people we are as a family. That has really stuck with me!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:53 am

Very Well written. Good Job.

=D> =D> =D>
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I skimmed it a bit and it is good. Congratz.
As for the whole hiding thing, I'm torn about it. Sometimes I think that if we wore ours openly as other religions do than that would be a path towards acceptance. On the other hand, it does open you up to be harrassed and descriminated against.
I agree, with whoever wrote it (sorry I forgot), that it depends on where you live.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:53 am

Very nicely written, congratulations! :-D
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:18 am

Congrats it's a good article.

I don't wear a pentacle, I am not wiccan and I don't really feel a connection with it, I tend to wear stones or jewellery with animal figures, I feel more connected to those.

edited: sorry about the typos, I didn't have time to read it over last time.
Last edited by Willow on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:33 am

I'm not a Wiccan either...just to clarify - I don't know whether I've mentioned it before. Uncle Gerald and Aunt Doreen aren't my relations :lol: The pentagram is an ancient symbol I feel an affinity for and it's become one of the forefront Pagan symbols as well as *sigh* a fashion accessory!

Thank you everyone for the nice comments :-D

Lotus, I think it definitely depends on where you live. You'll soon know about it if you live in a repressive monofaith area and go out wearing a pent...unless a Pagan faith is the monofaith in the area of course :lol: I can't wait to see that day come.

I don't think we should hide it away, but neither should we be in-your-face with it. Even when Christian pop stars wear rosaries and crucifixes, they're not overblown and gratuitous, so why should Pagans go around wearing a pent the size of a hubcap?

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:36 am

for the Bling Bilng? I dunno why?
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:54 am

Christian pop stars are not usually as bad as quasi Christian rappers.

You know, drugs and guns in one sentence, B's and Hos in the next then conclude with a love for Mom and Jesus.

That ticks me off, I think Christianity has the potential to be a very beautiful religion, and those guys (and girls) are (almost?) as guilty as fundies for giving it a bad name.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 pm

That was a very nice article. Thanks for sharing that with us.
To thine own self be true.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:59 am

SageWolf wrote:for the Bling Bilng? I dunno why?
Somehow I don't think it's just to look bling :lol: I've yet to see rhinestone pents, but they're probably not that far off.

A lot of the people turning to Paganism when I was in school were doing it because they liked the feeling of rebellion and being persecuted. They liked having someone to rail against and if it couldn't be fashion or tattoos, religion is a good enough thing to be het up about. Unfortunately there are people who decide to be Pagan for the 'more-persecuted-than-thou' factor and call me a cynic, but I think the going overboard with the pentacle is all part of that. I've never met a person who was a religious Pagan wearing a gigantic pent, but I have met plenty of people who are weekenders who will wear massive pentacles, triquetras, ankhs, all the symbols under the sun!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 am

Its true, that turned me off from paganism in highschool, the kids in the latin club were all "Wiccans" and would walk around in black claiming how persecuted they were, and no one could possibly understand their deep spirituality. And claiming that this life sucked so they would kill themselves to get to the next one (Goodness I wish I were joking).

I met one witch who was awesome, accepting and friendly, she showed me the good stuff.

Anyway I can't read into their hearts, but I hope they are happier now, I love my faith because of the joy it brings me.

What was the topic again? :lol:
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Actually, for Halloween I went to Spencer's and bought a good sized pent which had blue rhinestones around it, does that count as bling?
"Love like you've never been hurt."