Tell the Christian

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Tell the Christian

Post by Graver » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:39 pm

Well, I'm a fundy-ish Christian and I want to know more about the various aspects of paganism. The problem is, my ignorance is severe enough that I don't even know what questions to ask. So, I'm asking that you relieve me of my ignorance by describing your personal beliefs about your chosen aspect, and why you believe as you do.

I'll respond to questions, but I'd really rather keep this thread moving towards individuals sharing their own beliefs, and moving away from a game of "quiz the Christian."
Maybe not?

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:54 pm

Perhaps if you take some time reading in the library - there's a lot of good information there.
After that, if more information is needed, you will know what questions to ask.
It is also important to know that Pagans are a very diverse lot.
For another source of short articles on different forms of Paganism (and other religions, for that matter) go to
http://www.religioustolerance.org
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Perhaps if you gave us an idea of what sort of information you're looking for.

I mean, if somebody walks up to you, and says, I don't want to convert you, but I know nothing about Christianity, what do you tell them? :-?

It's a hard question to answer, and it would take a very long time for each of us to describe all the aspects of what we believe.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:38 pm

What is a fundyish christian???

I am new here and have found a great deal of info just by reading the posts on this site and I have only scratched the surface here. Just look around, I think one thread is called website review or something of that nature, there are some websites there of interest.
To thine own self be true.

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:11 pm

RFM:
I specifically kept my question vague. I'm digging for an in-depth personal answer from individuals, and not some organizations' spiel about it. I don't want to know what paganism ____ means, I want to know what paganism ___ means to YOU.

Kitsune:
I'm looking for your own description of what you believe concerning the supernatural (essentially, your religion/faith). What do you believe? What does it mean to you? How do you differ from the mainstream of your belief? And other such queries.

I wanted it to be vague so you wouldn't knock down the questions, but put some effort into giving a personal and complete statement of your faith.

Its actually not a hard question for me. Every Christian is supposed to be prepared to answer that question. We call it our "witness" or "testament" and its a central part of our faith. Our individual story of how we came to Christ and what we believe, specifically. It would take me quite some time to write, but this isn't the proper place for it.

Iriseyes:
I call myself a Fundyish Christian because I'm a Christian that believes the fundamentals ("Conservative/Traditional/Literal") of Christianity.
Maybe not?

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:56 pm

Graver wrote:RFM:
I specifically kept my question vague. I'm digging for an in-depth personal answer from individuals, and not some organizations' spiel about it. I don't want to know what paganism ____ means, I want to know what paganism ___ means to YOU.
No, there will be no digging and probing of the innermost corners of my soul.

If you want a lab-rat I suggest go elsewhere.
RainForestMoon

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Tell the Christian

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Graver wrote:....... I want to know more about the various aspects of paganism. The problem is, my ignorance is severe enough that I don't even know what questions to ask......
If you are honest in what you said, it is imperative that you do the reading in the Library.

If you are not prepared to put in the time to do the required background reading - why should we prepared to spend the time to spill our guts for you to analyze.........
RainForestMoon

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:05 pm

You've picked a tough question. Personally what drew me was the freedom of it all. I can stand outside in the pouring rain and feel the love of The Divine. I don't run and try to get under cover, I just try to soak it all in. I don't have to go to an old brick building just to talk to the Gods, I can stand in my kitchen and tell Mother She messed up the avacoldo, how the seed is larger then the fruit. I can tell Mother I think She's wrong and it's ok, I don't get smited or yelled at. Of course, She's probably not, but that's beside the point. ;) I'm allowed to get dirty on my holy days, I can show up covered in mud and Mother just smiles. If I burn the offering cakes, She laughs and takes it anyway. I don't have to be perfect to be in Her good graces, just being me is enough. Mother delights that I sit and converse with tree spirits, She doesn't look down on me for my visions.

That's what drew most of us, unconditional love, not here today, gone tommorow love. Don't get me wrong, Mother loves us, but she can be a b***h when She wants to be. She teaches too, and some of Her lessons are hard learned. But even with a few knocks to the head, it's all out of love. :lol:

But even with all the love and freedom to do as I please, it's still not a bed of daisys. It's hard to stick to your belifs and take responsability when you screw up. It gets lonely too, most of the time I'm by myself with my thoughts, as they're no ones but mine, makes it hard to play with others. Sometimes, I think that you Christains have it easy, you're told what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and if you screw up, you can blame it on the devil. It's not so easy being pagan, I sorta play it by ear, and if I mess up, it's all on me. I know that the grass isn't any greener on the other side, but try telling that to hungrey cows. :lol: Ok, random, but still, every religion has problems, you just pick the one you like best. I wounldn't trade my life for anything in the world. I like who I've become and the lessons I've learned and I'm only 21. The thing is, I don't hear that from very many Christains I've met and most of them are far older then me, but maybe I'm just young and dumb. :lol:

If you go the story section in the library, there's on entitled Pagan Foot Prints, you might like it. Also, try the one Love of Pumpkins, I got it off Stormy, I think :-k , but I feel it should have it's own spot.

Blessings, and my you find what it is you seek.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Tell the Christian

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Graver wrote:Well, I'm a fundy-ish Christian................."
The problem with "fundy-ish" is that it does not exist.

One cannot be fundy-ish any more than one can be "pregnant-ish" or "virgin-ish"

So, may I ask this? Are you a Fundie or are you not?

This is the dictionary definition of a fundamentalism:

"A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism."

If your being a fundie includes this "intolerance of other views" I suggest to you that it would be beneficial if you were to pack your bags and quietly disappear.

No hard feelings, but we've had people like you here before who tried to earn "brownie-points" attempting to spread their particular take on the gospel by trying to pretend to befriend a Pagan or three.
RainForestMoon

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 pm

Now, now, can't we play nice? Maybe Graver means no harm, maybe he really does look for answears? Besides, if it is just a ploy, time will tell.

"Little bird if you do not sing, then I will wait for you to sing." - Tokugawa Ieyasu
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Hmmm... Myself... everything centres around Mother Earth, the Creator (whom my Christian bf calls God), my Guides (whom many call Angels), and Father Sky. My beliefs are a result of that which has been observed, experienced, and shown to me by the Creator, who is genderless. I believe that we are a part of Creator, because long ago the Creator wanted to experiece itself. We are the Divine, and the Divine is Us.

I learned the language of trees & animals and through them I exerienced this Divine, and through them and my Guides I still do. It is through them that I learned to heal, that I was guided to Reiki, and through them and through the Great Spirit that those who come to me receive healing.

Sooo... I guess if you take Celtic & Native American & South American Shamanism with a helluva lot of observation & experience & shake it up in a big martini shaker & serve it up with a chaser of nature, you've got my religion ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm

forgotten oceans wrote:Now, now, can't we play nice? Maybe Graver means no harm, maybe he really does look for answears?......
Yes maybe .... I'd be prepared to believe that if he/she/it were prepared to do some basic reading and research in the Library.
RainForestMoon

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:06 pm

RFM: I see the cheering section has come out to play. Hi, I'm Graver, please refer to my Signature.

I would love to do some library reading, however I do not see the appropriate forum link for it. If anyone could give me a link, I would appreciate it. Also, while I'm glad to do research, I'm not really looking for a textbook opinion. I'm looking for personal opinions. Some article can say whatever it wants to, but a person says what they believe. THAT is what I'm looking for. I just assumed that most people were happy to share their beliefs. Sorry for any offense.

Wow... your definition of Fundy is very... Fundy. I'm used to people criticizing Christians for being small-minded by claiming everything is black and white, without and gray in the middle. I guess, by adhering to your rules, I am not a Fundamentalist. However, many an atheists listens to me talk and they start calling me an "Ignorant Fundy" so I assumed it must apply.

Forgotten O:
Thank you very much. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm seeking. I've been told that I'm narrow-minded, hateful, and ignorant. So, I'm trying to eliminate all three, and I consider learning more about different views to be a broadening of my narrow mind, and a relief from my ignorance. And if I can come out of it without hating all of you people, it'll be even better! :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "ploy." I can't promise I'm going to stick around, since that will depend on the community. Once I feel that my ignorance has been relieved, I might just pick up and go, especially if aspects of the community become hostile towards me for my beliefs (which I severely hope won't happen). If things stay friendly, I might just stick around and become the house Christian :)
Maybe not?

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:43 pm

Graver, there is one aspect of this board that you should be aware of. If you examine the posts you will see that we consider ourselves pagan, yet we come from many different traditions or beliefs within that umbrella term. You should note however, that we frequently ask advice from one another. No one here claims the whole of knowkedge and everyone seeks to learn and be guided by everyone else regardless of the core belief.
Only one person on this board claims to have absolute truth and counts any contradiction as being in error with truth. That person is you.
Question; Are you convinced that i am in the grip of satan?
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Graver wrote:RFM: I see the cheering section has come out to play. Hi, I'm Graver, please refer to my Signature.

I would love to do some library reading, however I do not see the appropriate forum link for it. If anyone could give me a link, I would appreciate it. Also, while I'm glad to do research, I'm not really looking for a textbook opinion. I'm looking for personal opinions. Some article can say whatever it wants to, but a person says what they believe. THAT is what I'm looking for. I just assumed that most people were happy to share their beliefs. Sorry for any offense.

Wow... your definition of Fundy is very... Fundy. I'm used to people criticizing Christians for being small-minded by claiming everything is black and white, without and gray in the middle. I guess, by adhering to your rules, I am not a Fundamentalist. However, many an atheists listens to me talk and they start calling me an "Ignorant Fundy" so I assumed it must apply.....
The Romans had a saying "Nomen est Omen" and with a Signature like yours "Soon-to-be subject of hatred and ridicule" it is a fair bet that it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The links for the Library are called "Reading Rooms 1" and "Reading Rooms 2" they are just to the left of "Interaction". However I notice, again, your reluctance to get some general information on Paganism. A visit to religioustolerance.org, as I had suggested earlier, would also certainly do you no harm.

The definition of fundamentalism is, as I said, a Dictionary definition, nothing to do with me. If you don't like it, complain to dictionary.com.

Just a quick note about your assumption of most people being happy to share their beliefs.
Unfortunately this is what Christians and Muslims do ALL THE TIME. No other religion that I know of is thus afflicted.
RainForestMoon