Need some serious Advise here

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Need some serious Advise here

Post by SageWolf » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Ok, This might get a bit long... I took my kids out on Tuesday night to take them trick or treating, and well I was dissappointed like I've never been disappointed, it is a small town but then it's large enough I guess, It was like every 4 houses had their porch lights on, I know my brother-in-laws house was the only house on the block that had their light on. It seems my town doesn't celebrate Halloween anymore (I'm a Pagan yes but to the town it's still Halloween you get the gist) Well anyway I was talking to my bro in law and I was telling him how upset I was about it. He said that since it is a Pagan Holiday that the christians are trying to boycot Halloween in the whole town, The thing that upsets me the most is it seems to be working, NOw I know Samhain is the Witches New Year and the night of the Living Dead, but what about the just plain fun of Halloween? The trick or Treating The costumes(My Bro in law even said a kids last night who wasn't more then 10 didn't even dress up in a costume)
So I was to get the spirit of Halloween back into the town. I want to public to light their porches and hand out candy for the little ones.I know I'm not going to turn the whole town and all that but I need advice on how to do this so I can start making plans for next year.. BTW they didn't even have a Halloween Party at my Daughters school, I know in my kids' old school they would wear their costumes to school and do the trick or treating in the classroom, Like I used to do. It's really upsetting me, Not just because I'm Pagan but well maybe yeah just because I'm pagan But I also feel that the children are missing out as well, not just mine, but everyone elses.

Oh and another thing I wanted to ask was this. I am smack dab in the middle of the Bible belt, I Don't Flaunt who I am but I don't Deny who I am either, Well I get a whole butt load of Bible Thumpers at my door, and I was wondering if I make a sign for my door what should I put on the sign?? No Soliciting? would that work?

Anyway Thanks for the reading of the rant and any advice would be awesome

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Halloween isn't the same anymore. (**insert Foamy's Halloween rant here**) It doesn't really get celebrated in New Zealand, I think it's because it seems to counter to everything to celebrate a night that's dark and spooky at such a warm time of year, when the sun doesn't set until 8.30 at night. I think there's something about that that gets through even to people who don't know anything about Pagan holidays.

But it's been dying slowly over the years even in America. Kids dress up like princesses! Honestly! How are princesses scary?! It should be a night to celebrate the things that scare you, not a night to ignore them completely. I flat-out refuse to give lollies to someone not dressed up as something scary. (Actually most years I hang a sign on my door saying: Dear Trick-or-Treaters: come back in six months.) When I was a kid, you went trick or treating without your parents (because how it is scary if your parents come along?) and if you didn't get anything good, you turned off the water mains at the person's house, or something like that.

I don't know how to get the spirit back into Halloween. It's almost like flogging a dead horse. Try hanging up signs like "celebrate the spooky" and stick gravestones on your front lawn. Doesn't matter whose houses have lights on, go bug them anyway, and if they don't give you anything, remember the "trick" part. You give them a choice, after all. (There should be a law or something.) They get to choose between giving you a treat, or getting a trick. If they skimp on the lollies turn off their water mains or stick a spider in their letter box. (A real one.) Stick an ad in the local paper to warn them beforehand and remind them about the true meaning of Halloween: to celebrate the things that are Not Allowed, like candy and staying up really late to watch scary movies; and to celebrate the things that we fear, like parts of our Shadow-Selves and tarantulas and snakes and zombies and bats!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:06 am

It is the christian fundamentalists. They are one the march, and they are on a roll. Halloween is only the start of it; it may get a lot worse yet.

I am not very familiar with the Xtian map of the USA. But maybe you could move to California, or New York State, or somewhere like that?
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:57 am

I know what you mean Sagewolf. At my house we didn't get one lousy trick-or-treater. Granted, we do live on the 3rd floor, but it seems to me that that shouldn't stop the kids, since I know it wouldn't have stopped me when I was a kid. But yes it does seem as though more and more people are becoming superstitious about Halloween and not wanting to celebrate it. On top of all that, all of the town and school halloween celebrations are now being called "fall festivals." All this politically correct nonsense is going way overboard when you can't even call a Halloween party what it is. :evil:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:14 am

Oh god's Moving to another state :-D I've done 3 states in the last 2 years, I've decided to settle here,there are only certian places in MO that do it. One place like another town away like every porch had it's lights on so next year we are going there, but the thing is is we shouldn't have too.

The Fundies tried to get my kids to go to a church for a weiner roast and a hay rack ride, but it was a non halloween party. :-( anyway, it's driving me nuts.

I'm thinking we are all as Pagans going to have to start throwing Massive parties. OR something for the kids

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:52 pm

Sagewolf, you've got the right idea exactly. have terrific Halloween parties. You don't have to be obviously pagan about it. just a great bash. have your kids invite other kids and say they can bring their parents. I promise you that even among the fundies there are people who miss the old tradition and fun of Halloween. Set it up right and you will be the place to be on Nov. 31st.

bright blessings
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:09 pm

Windwalker wrote: Kids dress up like princesses! Honestly! How are princesses scary?!
Actually, I always felt that dressing up as a fairy or a princess did honor to the fey folk who walk the earth at this time as well. Offerings were made to the brownies, fairies, and other sidhe as much as the dead, because though they aren't truly malicious, an offended fairy can really wreak havoc.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Kystar wrote:Actually, I always felt that dressing up as a fairy or a princess did honor to the fey folk who walk the earth at this time as well. Offerings were made to the brownies, fairies, and other sidhe as much as the dead, because though they aren't truly malicious, an offended fairy can really wreak havoc.
See, now that's fine. If you have a decent reason, that's fine with me! What's just been annoying me is that Halloween is being treated as a time to just dress up, not dress up as scary things. If you're dressing up for Samhain and want to honour the fey folk, that makes perfect sense to me, and it's a wonderful thing. I'm just annoyed at my favourite holiday (which it was even before I discovered Paganism) seeming to leak away into nothingness. I try to celebrate the darker side of things every day (being of a gothy frame of mind I find them absolutely wonderful) and Halloween was always the time of year to go shopping for cool jewellery and accessories and even clothing that other people only wore once a year. Now it's like we go straight to Christmas. We only get a few scary movies on TV in recent years... I remember Simpsons Treehouse of Horror marathons every year, with horror movies and so on playing all night to the wee hours. This year we got one Treehouse of Horror, and one horror movie. I know it's not the right time of year, but still!

When parents don't let their kids trick-or-treat here, it's not because they're fundies, it's because they consider it rude to interrupt people and demand sweets.

Sorry, sorry, I could rant on about this for ages...
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Speaking of the straight to Christmas, We've had Christmas stuff being sold in stores for the last 2 weeks AND the mall now has christmas stuff up in it.

I am depressed and irritated! I love the Christmas Season, and still celebrate it even though I'm Pagan. And I'm pissed off at it coming before Halloween's even done.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Yes I know the Feeling, I have seen it like at the begining of OCT, I mean I think any of the Holidays have lost their true meaning, be it Christmas or Yule or Halloween or Samhain it doesn't matter anymore, all the Holidays have become commercialized and it's really starting to bother me alot, since when does the meaning of christmas, or yule, come with the amount of money you spent on the new game system for the kiddo? >Sigh< The world is becoming to material anymore, I don't know

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:51 pm

Kitsune, I feel your pain cuz I work in a mall and they had their xmas decorations up the week before Halloween. My store had it's xmas merchandise out 2 weeks before Halloween cuz we had nowhere else to store it! Ugh, so much for each holiday being it's own thing. Now it just seems like Halloween is Xmas Part 1, Thanksgiving is Xmas Part 2, then there's Xmas Part 3, and New Years is Xmas Part 4. Did I mention we also have New year's merchandise out at my store? ::crawls into corner to sleep till the holidays are over::
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:32 am

Windwalker wrote:Honestly! How are princesses scary?!
Have you seen the British Royal family lately? Princess Anne would sure as Hel scare seven bells out of me in a dark alley. :-D

Ahhh,
daibanjo wrote:Set it up right and you will be the place to be on Nov. 31st.
Now call me silly, but if you are trying to have Halloween partys on November 31, you MAY just have put your finger on the problem. :roll: ;)

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:05 am

My typo. :oops: :oops: Ragnar, i call you silly :-D
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:14 am

Thank you. :lol:

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:17 pm

Ragnar wrote: Princess Anne would sure as Hel scare seven bells out of me in a dark alley. :-D
I don't know about scare....the queen likes horses and corgis. Much better for Ann to look like a horse than a corgi ;)
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'