What the beejeezum is a nidding pole?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

What the beejeezum is a nidding pole?

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:52 pm

I've had this word stuck in my head for ages and I can't remember where it came from. It's either something from Terry Pratchett or from some pagan/magickal topic somewhere (I get the two a little confused sometimes, ever since the didgeridoo-hickey thing came up).
"Obedezco pero no complo"

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:04 am

:-D I believe Ragnar mentioned this in the "curse" post... maybe he can explain it? :-k

*off to see the wizard*
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:59 pm

AHA!

Thar she blows, thanks. I'll PM his ferociousness. Thanks.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:53 pm

No need. :-D

Nidhing pole. It is a pole carved with the "offences" of the person to be cursed, and suitable Runes of binding or cursing. This either has a real horses head on top, or a carved one. The whole thing is then set up facing the house, village, or other area frequented by the person in question.

Being Norse the name of the person who set the pole up is also on the pole. I seem to remember that it was ONE of the offenses that could lead to a charge of "Mürking", "Myrking", or Mörking". This was things like "secret killing". ie, not reporting the fact that you had killed some one. Entering a village unanounced, during darkness (Where the "Mürking" name comes from), and "Secret cursing".

Nidhing poles could also be used to protect. Placed out side a house facing the road, or path, with runes of protection for the house and a curse upon unwelcome "visitors", such as "Watchtower" sellers, or people in black suits, brief-cases, and with Mid West American accents. :lol:

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:05 am

Ohhhh. Very cool. Do people do still use these? Are they big 'ole things like Native Totem poles or more like a staff? That would be a really neat sort of pagan art form slash protective lawn decoration. Or do they need to be fed or maintained? I'm gonna go look for pictures...neat. What else counts as "Murking" (I can't find the umlaut, deal with it.)?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:20 am

Well, if it was to protect a village, then they could be as big as the American native ones you see. But they can be staff size, or even wand size. Depends on the space or area on which you are going to place it.

Pictures I have never seen.

Garden decoration. Well, I think you would be better to use the carved horse head version. :-D No particular "upkeep" needs. Just repainting when needed, maybe scratch the runes in a bit deeper when the wood gets weathered. Just like looking after the out side of your house really.

mürking (Ha, you need a German/Swedish key board. ;) )

Think "sneak thief", or "cat burglar", that sort of thing. Highwaymen, Wreckers, cattle thieves. It really depends on the way the crime is carried out, more than the actual crime.

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:31 pm

I feel so inadequate without an umlaut.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why, but the nidhing pole concept has caught my fancy in a big way. I'm gonna see if I can find any Heathens here in the states who might make one for me. I'd greatly prefer it to be "authentic" as such things go, can only a Noide make them or any old Heathen? Or maybe more accurately, "should" only a shaman make one or can anybody?

And yes, I WAS thinking of the CARVED head variety. Are they traditionally activated with blood like they do with divination runes? That would be a little icky.

re murking {sigh..need umlaut}: So it's ok to kill someone, for example, but you have to be public about it? Is this a weirguild kinda thing? Or a do what you want as long as you can convince people the motive was honorable?

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:00 pm

On the subject of the umlaut. On the keyboard I have, if you press alt+129 you end up with ü. There's similar things for the other umlauted letters too, I just don't remember them ^.^;; You can google it though.
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:13 am

Grumpy wrote: I'm gonna see if I can find any Heathens here in the states who might make one for me. I'd greatly prefer it to be "authentic" as such things go, can only a Noide make them or any old Heathen? Or maybe more accurately, "should" only a shaman make one or can anybody?
Fot protection of the clan, or tribe it would be the priest or shaman. But for a house, it could be the same. Or the head of the house hold can do it. The House head normally having some of the powers and attributes of a priest, any way.
And yes, I WAS thinking of the CARVED head variety. Are they traditionally activated with blood like they do with divination runes? That would be a little icky.
Well, a small bit if blood, I mean very small, can be smeared onto the teeth of the Horse, to "awaken" the spirit of the pole, or you can do it as with "beating the bounds". I believe the Wiccans have a ceremony of "beating the sun up", or "calling the sun up", that could also be adapted and used.

You could also use a horse skull. But make sure they do not sell you a donkey skull, as these are cheaper, but sold as horse, they cost more, and in the end you only make an ass of it.
re murking {sigh..need umlaut}: So it's ok to kill someone, for example, but you have to be public about it? Is this a weirguild kinda thing? Or a do what you want as long as you can convince people the motive was honorable?
If you kill someone, as part of a feud, or in defence, then you have to report it to the local authorities within a set time, which I can not remember off the top of my head. Or it is counted as "secret murder", for which you can be "Wolf headed", ie, made outlaw.

There MAY be wre Geld involved, but the killing of an out law, or "wolfs head" is accepted as "good sport" and is exempt from were Geld, and reporting. Allthough it is allways best to report, just in case. AND thier may be a reward on his/her head. :-D

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:35 am

Ah, müch clearer on the mürking now, thank yoü. Soünds kinda like Texas and their old "oüghta be dead" laws.
I think I'd prefer a carved horsie noggin, being something of an animal rescüe nüt. I'll see if I can find a relatively local groüp who might be able to hook me üp.

lünaria--I feel soooo müch better now!

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:00 am

Nidding poles were pretty nasty, all said and done. Ragnar has covered them pretty well, excepting that they tended to have negative side effects as well. They often didn't just curse the target, but the land and area around the target as well, usually driving off the good land wights (spirits) and leaving the land baren.

Nasty stuff, that.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 am

Aye Runewulf, I totaly agree, and that is why they were allways placed away from the village, or, if in front of the subjects house, ONLY on his land.

THANKS for pointing that out Rune. :oops:

I see Grumpy has found the Umlaut button. "One small step for ....etc." :lol

Try finding this one then;

Ragnar Vågmörnasson von Berlin-Preußen.

:-D

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:18 pm

Bügger.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:20 pm

I know where the ß is, but.... not that a-circle thingy....... :-?
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Loke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loke » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 am

Hi all

Dont know much about the cursing stuff, but in danish there is a descriptive term: "nidding" witch is used on persons who are traitors or bagstabbers of the the worst kind. Its not part of todays vocabulary in general, but most will now it.

Holger