Magick Names

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Earth-Daughter, a good baby name book is a worthy investment!!
I bought mine a few years ago, and it's very good. A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman is it's title. Over 30,000 names, and I think it cost me $20 CND. It is quite reliable as well :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:27 pm

Just one problem, me running out and buying a baby names book would severly creep my parents out, especially seeing as teen pregnancies run in the family :-? ... but I can always borrow/ use them at the library.
Blessed be.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:28 am

S a trick to dealing with weirded out parents...
Use a big word that makes it seem like you are studying something.

Tell them you are developing and interest in Etymology (not entymology, thats bugs), which is a study of the porigins of words. Many names come from common words so it is a valid link.

That should pacify them.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:04 am

That's a good tip, Willow!!

Even though I've had the book for years, and everyone has seen it numerous times (especially when my niece was born and we were looking up names), when I brought it out yesterday my sister was shocked.

Can't a girl look at names without being accused of being pregnant!? Can't a girl say how cute a baby is without being accused of trying to get pregnant?? :evil: :evil:

At 19, I think the last thing I want right now is a child. :evil:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Willow wrote:which is a study of the porigins of words.
Are they, like, words you mix with milk and sugar and have with tea and toast for breakfast, in the winter? :roll: :lol:

Sorry I seem to have come over all facetious tonight. ;)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:41 pm

LOL

that's ok, I would have made fun of that too.

Besides I need people to keep me humble, [-X I can't go around with a swollen head now can I? Not with the PL around. :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:55 pm

That's what we're here for! Oh, do I hear a new slogan comming along?

The Pagan Library-

Deflating swolen heads, one typo at a time.

SHAZAM!
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:19 pm

I like it...we should propose it to this Weygold guy I hear about... ;)
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:34 pm

I have two magickal names. One is my Soul-Name, that is very private and that I shan't tell anyone. The other is my Seeker Name, Windwalker, that I Quested for. It's a temporary name - it is still very special and important, but it is not a soul name, and therefore I feel I can use it when I webweave. After all, webweaving is a form of Seeking.

I went to my temple in a Journey and sat and let the universe know why I had come, and what I wanted. A guide came. The guide told me I already knew the name (sort of). And then it was as if the entire universe spoke it at once. *siiigh* Sorry, was remembering.

I know many people don't use magickal names, some say they're kinda silly, but I rather like them. My Soul-Name, for instance, is one I've had through several lifetimes.

If you're looking for a name, there's actually a book somewhere full of magickal names. Names of gemstones, plants, gods, animals, metals.... lots of stuff. It's in the local library here. Unfortunately I don't know who wrote it off the top of my head but it's worth looking for, definitely. Invaluable.

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Magick Names

Post by Sìle » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:02 pm

shrimpy8818 wrote:I was curious about the witches out there who have magick names. How did you come across the name you use?
It was given (assigned) to me, although I had spent many a year searching for one, numerology, meditation and so on. Finally, a name was bestowed upon me and it fit perfectly; much more so than my pathetic attempts. :-?