Magick Names

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:43 pm

I think the magical name serves the same purpose as ritual.

It helps concentrate the mind on the task at hand, and keeps our "magical selves", like our ritual areas, as a place set aside that is special for the purpose.

For example, you would not use your scrying bowl as a coffee cup, or your alter as a coffe table.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:29 am

Ok, I wasn't gonna say anything, but since Ragnar said coffee table... :roll: I don't really believe in the one name for the majickal me, and one name for the 'normal' me, and one name for the artist me, and one name for the doctor me, and another for the gardener me, and.... you see how the list could go on forever? Besides, majick isn't something I do, it's what I am, it's part of me, and I don't think it needs to be put in a corner and brought out only for special occasions. So I try to use as few names as possible, simplicity seems to work well for me.

To clarify the coffee table thing: My coffee table is one of the best spots in the apt. for me to 'work'. I feel a real connection with this table and I know it sounds crazy, but it has a vibe all it's own, and I know we've had this conversation before about cursed/blessed furniture and appliances. uhm... :-k
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:13 am

forgotten oceans wrote: I feel a real connection with this table and I know it sounds crazy, but it has a vibe all it's own, and I know we've had this conversation before about cursed/blessed furniture and appliances. uhm... :-k
:lol: :lol: Aye. But it is not quite the same thing.

Samurai swords, for example, have spirit, because they are, when properly made, influenced by the smith. I am not talking about the mass produced rubbish that 90% of them are nowdays. But a PROPERLY made one.

I presume your coffe table either contains wood, and, or, is allways in the same place. So, wood is living, it contains spirit. No problem there. OR the PLACE where it stands could be what is sacred to you. Even if moved, the familiar "feel" of regularly used things, may well be influencing your view of them. I have seen excellent wood workers, who, given another persons tools become, not useless, but find it very difficult to produce to the same standard.

FRIDGES, of course, are different. #-o :lol:

What you say about names, personaly I find true. That's why I am probably one of the very few here that uses my own name.

"magic" or "religion" are, to me a way of life. If you start using "special" names, etc, then I feel it is doing exactly the same as people who, on December 24, pull the tree out that was stuffed in the cupboard last year, and feel very "christmassy" for a couple of days, and are very nice to other people. Then on 02/01, they go back and work for IRS, or a cab firm, or something.

auramoonsongs
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by auramoonsongs » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:28 pm

Everyone has their own view on this, I myself have my all day, everyday name and then my special, that is special, like the tools, even though when I use aura moonsongs I feel like that, that is the real me because when I am aura I am who I am not Maya the person who well isn't always who she is ie like when I am with my parents.

aura moonsongs
blessed be

Mythellin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mythellin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:20 am

On the subject of names, my "magical" name is Gwedian Mythellin. This was given to me at birth by my grandmother (an Avalonian High Priestess). Mythellin is a family name that we have always kept secret and Gwedian was my great grandfather's middle name. My parents gave me a more conventional name.

In my early years I only used my conventional name, being a little shy about useing my other name. As I practiced Paganism in earnest, from the age of about 13, I started using my Magical name more. Now, very few people even know my conventional name and everyone calls me Mythellin or my close friends call me Gwedgen. Perhaps old grandma knew a thing or two!
Place your trust in the Goddess and in the works of your own hand.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:53 pm

I don't really have a magical or spiritual or whatever name. I've never really felt compelled to get one, and so far, it hasn't stopped me from anything. I do have two different names I go by though. There's my legal name (which is actually my legal middle name, but whatev). Its Denise. However, more often than not, when talking to myself or referring to myself I'll call myself Usa (its short for the japanese word for rabbit. Not the country ^.^; ) A loooong time ago, when all of my friends were anime freaks, they started calling me that because of how much I look/talk/act like Tsukino Usagi from Sailor Moon *points to avatar* The nickname stuck, so its what I call myself, but I don't think its anywhere near counting as a spiritual name. More like an obsessive geek name.
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:41 am

Damn it, I wish I was lucky like that. My boyfriends "cute" nickname for me used to be Akane... The HORRIBLE COOK from Ranma 1/2. Grrr. Showed him, I learned to cook real good. Now he asks me to cook.

Anyways, the only other sort of nickname I have is more an identification. Whenever, I'm introduced to a new person, I'm described as "The Druid" or sometime "The Cat". All of my friends call me Brandy, cause that's my name, except for Joe (my SO), and he calls me "Honey".

I wish I had a cool anime nickname... :cry:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:54 am

I believe if anyone called me ANYTHING from Ranma I'd throw something at them. I'd throw something at them if they called me anything from anything that Rumiko Takahashi has done. *is NOT a fan.*

But, Akane wouldn't be so bad. I could just convince myself that whoever was calling me that was talking about the Akane from Mahou Tsukai Tai, who is supposed to be a super hawt chica. Yup. That's what I'd do.

However, my clumsieness, math grades, and naivitey lead people to call me nothing other than Usagi. So I guess I don't have to worry about that all too much ^.^;;

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:41 am

Huge fan of Rumino Takahashi here. But I don't begrudge you... All anime is good! :lol:

Anyways, to be called Akane in reference to cooking... Grrrrr.

Wish I had a cool anime nickname. Although I suppose Kitsune could be almost be a nickname since that's how most of you guys know me, and that's rather cool.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:53 am

Hey Kitsune, I checked babynames.com and apparently yours means warm and loving. Here's the site address; http://babynames.com/Names/name_display.php?n=brandy
Kinda nice meaning if you ask me. I got weary, :roll:.
Blessed be.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:37 pm

I looked up my name on that site.

Denise- female form of Dennis.

WOW!

But, Dennis means wild and frenzied, and is apparently formed from Dionysius. So... YAY WINE! (but more importantly, yay theatre!)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 am

Don't trust it.

Raghnall. KELTIC???????????????????????????

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:05 am

Thanks for looking. Whenever I do a search on my name all I ever get is "A Plum Wine" :lol:

Oh, and I think I once got beautiful meadow...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:49 am

Yeah, I wouldnn't rust it either, my name means peaceful meadow or lamb, both of which come from arabic and Hebrew. They said my name came from germany or something.

Crazy Crazy
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:14 am

Oh well even if it's not trust-worthiy it still serves my purposes (finding names for charactors in my writing). I don't nescessarily need to know what they mean, just how to spell them, :-D . I've seen that meaning for my name in other places though, oh well.
Blessed be.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.