Magick Names

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
shrimpy8818
Level 1
Level 1

Magick Names

Post by shrimpy8818 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:04 pm

I was curious about the witches out there who have magick names. How did you come across the name you use?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:35 pm

Well I'm not a witch, but...

I think we may be talking of the same thing when I call them Spirit Names and you call them Magick Names. If not, well sorry, lol.

I was given mine by Spirit in a Journey. Many are given their names through meditation or in some other spiritual activity. In some cultures Spirit Names are given in an honoured ceremony as a rite of passage by the Shaman (or representative of the Spirit World) of the community. It is something sacred and I feel must be earned, but my views differ radically from others. I also feel that Spirit Names must remain secret except to a few incredibly special individuals and Spirit.

Okay that's my two cents ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Rockhopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:23 pm

I kinda came across mine myself. I was working with words, trying to make an assignment sound right, and one part after another it just fell into place. I really liked the meanings behind it, and the spirit world was pleased with it as well. That's how it worked for me, at least.
Avatar is Feathers McGraw, from Wallace and Gromit's The Wrong Trousers... I love that movie :)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:42 pm

I don't know if it's a spirit name... in fact I'm almost certain it can't be.

But my other name is Candra Tsorin, the name of my first Dungeons and Dragons character. She is my other self, the true druid. She is the self I see when I envision myself. And since she is me, just a me with less inhibitions, we relate. Actually, since I've become more outgoing, she's become more modest. It seems as though we'll eventually meet at a pleasant middle ground as soon as we're ready for it.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 pm

I have Kelreth. Call it divine inspiration, spirits, nature, or a wondering mind. It just popped into my head one day and stuck. I use it for message boards and such. otherwise its generally the more animalistically geared part of my mind, more life and death, less thinking about the universe and the divine and philosophy stuffs that make my head hurt
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:44 am

Throughout marriage plans the shaman will be on call for advice. From possibly recommending the partners to each other, or each others families, after himself contacting the spirit worlds for advice. Divining the best time for the ceremony, the production of children, and possibly the selection of the best names to produce a suitably useful member of the community.

That is because we believe that people live up to their name. They gain the qualities of the person, God etc. after whom they are named.

Frazer points to Saami traditions of naming in his "Golden Bough" (pp 256). "Among the Lapps, when a woman was with child and near the time of her delivery, a deceased ancestor or relation used to appear to her in a dream and inform her what dead person was to be born again in her infant, and Thereforee who's name the child was to bear.

If the woman had no such dream, it fell to the Father or the relatives to determine the name by divination or by consulting a wizzyrd", i.e. a Shaman.

I do not know where Frazer got the idea that this custom is dead, because it is exactly the tradition of my own family. With the addition that the dream figure may be in the form of a totem. Either the dead persons, your own, or the new babies.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:48 am

As this topic has a wider interest than Wiccan alone I am going to move it to "Paganism". Where I think it may get a broader audience, and be, therefore, more productive.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:56 am

I think Frazer believed that religions were going to die out, and he (like many other anthropologists) may have believed that white people were too far advanced for such beliefs. Then again I could be wrong.

On the note of names, I just have an affinity for nature and willows in all their forms have appealed to me. I know that they are used in healing too, in a weird way I like to think that I am trying to heal relationships between religions, s it kind of chose me and I know it. My real name, Shelly, is still something I try to be too (peaceful, not sure how well I do with that). I look at this name like a descriptive nickname (kind of like shorty, only deeper)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:19 pm

I think that names are of great importance.

The Romans (and Pagans they certainly were until nearly the very end) had the saying "Nomen est Omen" meaning that a Name is an indicator of what is going to happen to that person.

(A bit along the lines of "That is because we believe that people live up to their name. They gain the qualities of the person, God etc. after whom they are named. " that Ragnar said. With the difference that if the people do not live up to their name, the name will live up to its destiny anyway.)

In many religious traditions, be they pagan, christian or otherwise, a person will choose a new name at a certain decisive point in their spiritual development. This is of great symbolic significance to both the person who takes the new name, and to those around them.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:45 am

The naming of a person after a God, or spirit is inferring that that person is responsible for living up to that name and, Therefore honouring the spirit in question.

Logically one single person, or place (the same applies), can not represent, or live up to the responsibility of representation, of all the spirits. Therefore the name Odin, would not be given to a child.

The responsibility of being Oðin’s priest would be over bearing and impossible to live up to. The acceptance, or giving of a name, implies an oath of doing that spirits work.

Any person who implies they are able to do the work of Oðin is not only deluding himself but is an oath breaker.

Therefore NO one is willing to put another Person in this position. If you force some one to break an oath, you are equaly as guilty of that oath breaking.

That is also why, when a child becomes an adult, they are given the option of keeping, or changing, their name. But once accepted, they are obliged to honour it. I.E, live up to it.

Tagwen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tagwen » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:06 am

I see a slight difference between Magick names and Spirit names.

Magick names is what you show of yourself in spiritual practices, while a
Spirit name is ones life nature.

I may be grasping at straws here but listen; Spirit names have a direct relation in what Karma wants to teach you in this life. It means what you are to achieve. It can not be altered however it can be Lengthen (?) if you learn the lesson and change into something more.

Names do have meaning since they show someone what you are. Am a very kinestetique person (sensations not visual), I place traits with names.

A name that has no meaning means one of two things:
1. You are to forge your own path
2. You are to learn about yourself and change names (in the spiritual way)

The name you are given at birth has a control on you.
I might be weak and pathetic, lacking resolve and full of arrogance mistook for confidence. But am walking forward thus I can hold my head high.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:22 am

What sort of control does your birth name have?

Mine was chosen before my parents even knew what sex I'd be.

If I was girl, Brandy, if I was a boy Brandon.

Obviously, being female I got the first one. And while I've looked for meanings for Brandy, usually all I find is "A Plum Wine" :lol:

Oh, and I think I found "Stinking Meadow" as well once, but since it also say the "Lee" stood for Beautiful Hair, I think I just discounted it as loony.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

auramoonsongs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by auramoonsongs » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:05 pm

My magic name kind of jumped out at me, at the time I wasn't really thinking about it, all I know is I fell asleep on the settee at my moms and this name kept coming to me aura moonsongs, so in a way my name found me and it kind of fits, well the last bit, I love the moon and I love to sing but it feels right. Some of my other Wicca friends found there magic names, they just looked for something that meant something to them and that fit the way they are. I'm glad mine came to me as to me that means more, than say me looking at names and thinking is that really for me, but that is just me other people are different.

aura moonsongs
blessed be

HappySoup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HappySoup » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:31 am

A name will come to me one time when I am ready... But I am not yet a fixed or steady person. I do not want to aspire to a name ever, and no name can yet represent my clutter of momentary aspirations.

Elizabeth.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:26 pm

I don't think that you need to be a fixed or stable person, although the name will come to you eventually.

I'm still not certain Why the magic name is needed though. Perhaps it's just the power that we instill in anything we name.