Things that are Spiritual

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Things that are Spiritual

Post by Silver Spider » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:59 pm

Things that are Spiritual.

I'm "brainstorming" to see if I know what's spiritual. Please feel free to add to the list and comment on anything that is or seems questionable.

Believing in a Mother God and a Father God.
Colors
Numerology
Astrology
Totems
Animals
Trees
Plants
Crystals
Sun
Moon
Nature entities (images in the tree leaves, clouds, water, rugs, etc.)
Nature in general
Music-Mmm...music itself is not spiritual-I think-but there's definitely spiritual music available.
Greco-Roman architechture
Elves
Candles
Rennaisance Faires
Ancient writings such as ancient Greek, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Aztec, Chinese, Indian languages, etc.
Temples/Churches
Seasons of the Year
Dance-Similar to Music above.
Healing-Similar to Music above.
Poetry-Similar to Music above.
Pentacle and Pentagram
Ghosts
Psychic abilities
Time
Auras
Imprints
Landscapes
Directions (North, East, South, West)
Signs/Omens
Sidewinder Roads
Children
Mythological Animals
Dreams
Puzzles
Labyrinths
Some Holidays (maybe that falls more under seasons of the year?)
Computers
Email
Countries
Rituals-I think this is essentially spiritual even if the religious have messed up some rituals over the centuries.
Cooking-Similar to the Music entry.
Elixirs/potions
Symbols-Similar to the Music entry.
Astrophysics
Reflexology
Palmistry
Television entities
Photo entities
Chalice
Athame
Writings (they're alive)
Water Fountains
Freedom
Painting
Wands
Truth
Respect
Wicca
Druidism
Ancient Celts
Ancient Norse
Ancient Greeks
Ancient Romans
Ancient Egyptians
Ancient Indians
Ancient Chinese
Ancient Aztecs
Ancient Mayans
Shamanism
Native American tribes
Some primitive tribes (not all of them are spiritual.)
Praying
Meditation
Strong Spiritual Thoughts (the animals can sense it.)

Anything else??? Do tell...
Last edited by Silver Spider on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:08 am

OH OH! Pottery, clay, tattoos, ANYTHING self made, sun rises and sun sets, family (includes pets), heirlooms, books (the classics), silver screen and drive in movies, pin up girl calenders, stories mom used to tell before bed, Grandmas kitchen, your first kiss, FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't think of any more, and pin up girl calenders are too spiritual!! They symbolize the sensual women in every lady and the lady in every women! 8-) Can anyone else think of any?
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:18 am

I don't know that I would be able to make a list, or make amendments to anyone else's list.

I think what we regard as spiritual is a very individual and personal thing. What is spiritual for one person may not be so for another.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:26 am

One thing I do know is that spending a lot of time trying to figure out what IS spiritual instead of actually being or doing spiritual things is definitely NOT spiritual. It's like have a million dollars and sitting there counting it over and over again and never spending a dime.

You can make lists up the wazzoo, but why would you want to spend the time and effort doing that, when, as Rain ForestMoon said - spirituality is very individual, very personal?

The very death of spirituality is the over- analysis of it. Folks need to just learn to relax and "be" instead of constantly trying to figure out how to shove everything into a nice neat containers with labels and lists on them.

Spirituality is not something that can be neatly labeled, quantified or qualified.

Spirituality is something to be experienced.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Silver Spider » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:50 am

Here are some more things:
Long Hair
Toys

Rain ForestMoon wrote:I don't know that I would be able to make a list, or make amendments to anyone else's list.

I think what we regard as spiritual is a very individual and personal thing. What is spiritual for one person may not be so for another.

Blessings
Yes there are individual and personal things in spirituality, but at the same time there are things that ARE spiritual no matter WHO experiences them.

There's personal spiritual experience, and there're definite beliefs and objects that are just spiritual.
Stormy wrote:One thing I do know is that spending a lot of time trying to figure out what IS spiritual instead of actually being or doing spiritual things is definitely NOT spiritual. It's like have a million dollars and sitting there counting it over and over again and never spending a dime.
Stormy, one thing that I do KNOW is that we must try to make some effort to identify what IS spiritual. What if you're doing some spiritual activity that is IMPORTANT? You might like to do that again, right? But if you don't know that it's spiritual, the knowledge may be lost, and you might not do it again. Correct? Plus it could be important to share with others if it's not personal.

If I were to bring someone from some where on the planet that has no sense of the modern world to the United States of America, he/she would need to identify what's important to survive in this country. Now let's say that person just stumbled upon one billion dollars and just walked by it. He/she hasn't identified that this thing called money is important in surviving the U.S.A. (I'm not saying money itself is important.) It can get you a nice house, car, etc. This person is not stupid or anything, but just doesn't know.

I need to know if there's something that I don't know spiritually.

I don't view this as a waste of time, because if did I wouldn't be here.

Isn't good to KNOW and then EXPERIENCE spirituality? You wouldn't always guess? Right? You try learn what others know as well. (Through word of mouth and books.)

Stormy wrote:Spirituality is not something that can be neatly labeled, quantified or qualified.
NO. It's a discipline like any other mainstream knowledge: English, History, Art, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc. The Spiritual are already few in numbers and too widely spread thin! I've seen some books that have tried to do this, but it's difficult to be universal for various reasons: everyone has their own set of accumulated past life knowledge–so some people know more than others, others have read and experienced more than others, some people are more intellectual than others, etc.

Person1: Oh, there's a piece of paper on the ground, that's a sport.
Person2: That's NOT a sport! A sport is something like baseball or basketball.

Do you see what I'm saying? Person2 identified what a sport is. He wasn't going into great details or anything, but he quickly identified some solid sports.

There's personal spirituality.
There's everyone/thing spirituality.

The thing with personal spirituality is that it's up to you if choose to share it.
With everyone/thing spirituality, anyone could access it.

I hope that clears some things.

So...I think I've covered many things that are spiritual. Yes, there still many spiritual books to be read, but I'm curious what any of you may know off the top of your heads that hasn't already been mentioned. Also, if you have any comments on the list I've made, please do so. I like to know with CERTAINTY.

Thank you.
------------------
Dove and Goldfish

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:32 pm

Silver Spider wrote:.....I like to know with CERTAINTY.....
In my own life experience I have found that there never is any certainty about anything. I am can not even be certain that I physically exist....

So from my perspective there is never any actual certainty, only perception of certainty. And, as with all perceptions, different people with also have different perceptions of certainty.

I am quite happy in the (uncertain) knowledge that there is no certainty. But I also understand that other people need to have certainty (about some things, or about all things) in their lives. Unfortunately, though, problems sometimes arise when the perception of certainty is mistaken for actual certainty: dogmatism and fundamentalism sometimes arise from that.

So, having said all that, I'd like to help you in your quest, but I can't.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:45 pm

Although I cannot add anything in particular to your list (except Smudge Sticks and Sage) I would like to say that anything can be considered spiritual. I noticed you put computers on your list, and although I can see why you put it there, it is not spiritual to me. (Not saying it is wrong, just that it is right to you and not to myself, as an example.) I would put something like apples, slingshots, mountains, ravens (and all animals), Guides, vegetarianism, Reiki. Anything can be spiritual, and in fact, everything IS, in its own way, spiritual. I also find cast-iron cookware very spiritual, because it represents my cabin which will be dedicated to things involved in spirituality.

Oh, one thing I would like to add is sex. It can sometimes be exclusively spiritual.

Also, although to sit and just be spiritual is definately something wonderful and what more people should do (in my opinion) and people do overcomplicate it and over-analyse it which, often, does result in its death, it is sometimes necessary to identify different aspects of your spirituality. I personally do not find the use in making a list, but that is in my case. In another's case, making a list would be very useful.

Anyway, just my two cents.[/i]
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:20 pm

I have to agree with Stormy, and add my own 2 cents worth.

My own opinion is that spirituality just "is". There is no "this is spirituality, this is not". I also believe that life is a spiritual experience in itself. If you cannot experience something, you cannot know what it is. Therefore, like stormy said, you can list it, you can read it, you can watch it ... but if you do not experience it ... well, you get the idea.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Silver Spider » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:29 pm

Rain ForestMoon wrote:
Silver Spider wrote:.....I like to know with CERTAINTY.....
In my own life experience I have found that there never is any certainty about anything. I am can not even be certain that I physically exist....

So from my perspective there is never any actual certainty, only perception of certainty. And, as with all perceptions, different people with also have different perceptions of certainty.

I am quite happy in the (uncertain) knowledge that there is no certainty. But I also understand that other people need to have certainty (about some things, or about all things) in their lives. Unfortunately, though, problems sometimes arise when the perception of certainty is mistaken for actual certainty: dogmatism and fundamentalism sometimes arise from that.

So, having said all that, I'd like to help you in your quest, but I can't.

Blessings
I understand-truly.

None of us are "real." Have you ever seen the movie, "The Matrix?" Regarding the parts of the movie showing how people are just computer images in a computer, yes, that's what we are. We don't physically exist. That's part of the reason why wars are allow to continue. We're not "real."

I too used to be happy in my uncertainty, but that changed when I became spiritual. When I built up my spiritual energys/aura last summer, I felt out things (psychometry) and saw the Truth of our society. The major auras/imprints of this society are ignorance (ignoring Truth) and naivete (dumbness.) I've reincarnated many times on this planet, so when I got spiritual-the Truth rose-and I saw the negativity. I also learned that there is such a thing as certainty in spirituality, as I've said before, I felt out things while being spiritual.

I don't know what "perception" means anymore.

I understand if you can't help me. Pardon me if I came off dogmatic or fundamental (religious.) Peace to you. -----Dove and Goldfish
Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Although I cannot add anything in particular to your list (except Smudge Sticks and Sage) I would like to say that anything can be considered spiritual. ...I would put something like apples, slingshots, mountains, ravens (and all animals), Guides, vegetarianism, Reiki. Anything can be spiritual, and in fact, everything IS, in its own way, spiritual. I also find cast-iron cookware very spiritual, because it represents my cabin which will be dedicated to things involved in spirituality.

Oh, one thing I would like to add is sex. It can sometimes be exclusively spiritual.

...I personally do not find the use in making a list, but that is in my case. In another's case, making a list would be very useful.
Smudge Sticks-What are those?
Sage-Trees and plants
Apples-Trees
Slingshots-Is it spiritual, or just "spiritualized?" If it IS spiritual, well, that's not a surprise to me. Sometimes I feel that's all this planet was created for. (War that is.)
Mountains-Landscapes
Ravens (and all animals)-Animals
Guides-There's another I didn't list. Yes, they ARE spiritual.
Vegetarianism-Hmm...Isn't this one kind of like music? I'm not certain of this one.
Reiki-Yes, certainly spiritual.
Sex-Is it truly spiritual? Sex is certainly quite feminine, but is it spiritual? I'm not certain.

Do you see the use now? I don't know what a smudge stick is. If it's truly spiritual, and if I have a use for it, I could then decide if I'd like to incorporate it into my spirituality.

The same goes for anything else that I might read here in this topic.

Thank you Crazy Healer Lady. Peace------Dove and Goldfish

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:38 pm

a smudge stick is a bundle of herbs and aromatics plants that are burned and the smoke is used as a part of a cleansing ritual.

They usually include sweetgrass and sages.

As far as I know (though I could be very wrong) they originated in Native American practice...though other shamanistic faiths used similar things.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:52 pm

Smudge sticks are basically sage wrapped tight into a stick or wand. Lets off quite a bit of smoke, and serves to smudge or cleanse people, objects, rooms, etc. It is a very special thing to be allowed to smudge someone, though, so be fully prepared if you plan to smudge another person, that you may not be allowed by Spirit. Smudge is very powerful, and very wonderful ^_^
I do not think that anything can be strictly spiritual or non spiritual, though. And I think sex is very spiritual. Play with energies during intercourse, and you will see what I mean. And the actual orgasm energizes your aura, and is a sort of "glimpse" of nirvana. There are people who have reached Samadhi at this time. And plus, the union of man and woman, male and female energies (or in same-sex couples, the unity of their individual male/female sides) is truly spiritual. (sorry if I am a bit graphic, here)
But it may not be spiritual for you.

Slingshots are spiritual for me because they symbolize the warrior side of spirituality, but it also seems gentle. The hunter, too.

I see what you mean now by making a list, by the way. You want to list them to see what you can encorporate into your own spirituality, or at least attempt to. Is this correct? This to me seems like a difficult way to go about it, but if it works, hurray ^^
Last edited by Crazy Healer Lady on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Silver Spider » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:13 pm

Kystar wrote:a smudge stick is a bundle of herbs and aromatics plants that are burned and the smoke is used as a part of a cleansing ritual.

They usually include sweetgrass and sages.

As far as I know (though I could be very wrong) they originated in Native American practice...though other shamanistic faiths used similar things.
Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Smudge sticks are basically sage wrapped tight into a stick or wand. Lets off quite a bit of smoke, and serves to smudge or cleanse people, objects, rooms, etc. It is a very special thing to be allowed to smudge someone, though, so be fully prepared if you plan to smudge another person, that you may not be allowed by Spirit. Smudge is very powerful, and very wonderful ^_^
Thank you Kystar and Crazy Healer Lady. I still have to get some good books on Shamanism, since it will either be central or a major part of my spirituality for the rest of my life.

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I do not think that anything can be strictly spiritual or non spiritual, though.
What about dogma? At the very least it's non spiritual, and I'd even identify it as religious. (I apologize if I come off even a little dogmatic, since I don't know exactly what dogma is; but again, I'm quite certain it's religious.)
Peace and Prosperity. Dove and Goldfish.

Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Silver Spider » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:23 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: You want to list them to see what you can encorporate into your own spirituality, or at least attempt to. Is this correct? This to me seems like a difficult way to go about it, but if it world, hurray
I see it as a quick way to see what's spiritual. As you may know, there are many spiritual books out in stores and libraries. Some books know what they're talking about, others don't. Worse yet, some are a combination of the two. So, yes, this a quick way for me to see what's spiritual for myself; and maybe for some of you too.
Peace and Prosperity. Dove and Goldfish.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:22 pm

Dogma is a little different.
Dogma:
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta
1: A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
2: An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true. See Synonyms at doctrine.

(Definition found on Dictionary.com)
The difference between the tenets of someone's spirituality and a church's dogma is the sense of authority behind it. You can't argue the dogma of a church and still be consisdered a "good" member of the community. Spirituality is so personalized that no two people share the same things. Spirituality can be debated without anyone having to suffer consequences such as ostracizm.

Hope this clarifies a bit.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:28 pm

Some good Shamanic books, Silver Spider, if you are interested, are:
ANYTHING by Kristen Madden (awesome lady) particularly Shamanic Guide to Death and Dying and Shamanic Healing. Alberto Villoldo is also an interesting author, and my favourites are Shaman, Healer, Sage and Dance of the Three Winds.
These are all mainstream books and should be easily accessed. Although mainstream isn't usually the best, they are what got me steadily on my path, and once you hear what they have to say you can learn from yourself and your Guides all about Shamanism.
Crazy Healer Lady