Evidence for paganism

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Andy
Level 1
Level 1

Evidence for paganism

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:12 am

Hi All,

As im learning more about Paganism, I would like to know what evidence you have about the pagan religion.

I can go on and on about christian evidence (in anther topic maybe), but would like to understand why you believe paganism to be true.

Thanks

Andy

Antonius Varus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Antonius Varus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:20 am

I don't believe the Pagans need to present any 'evidence' to support their beliefs.

Andy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:35 am

Your right you dont, however for people who are not pagan and are seeking, what would you tell them?

If a non christian asked me to provide evidence that the bible is fact, I could very easily.

Antonius Varus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Antonius Varus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:38 am

I fear brother that no-one can prove the Bible is fact, and I am not a Pagan.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 am

Antonius Varus wrote:I don't believe the Pagans need to present any 'evidence' to support their beliefs.
Along that line of thought, truthfully, NO religion NEEDS to present 'evidence' since ALL religions are, at the core, based on faith of one form or another.

But I don't believe that was what Andy was asking - he wasn't asking us to try to prove anything to him, I believe he is just asking us to tell him what makes us have "faith" in our religion as opposed to others. What things - evidence if you want to call it that - led us to the Goddess/God/Divinity that we believe in.

I know for sure that he wasn't asking for a terse, snippy retort. I may not agree with Andy's religion but he is a part of the board, he has shown a willingness to appologize when necessary and to try to be civil - I expect the members of this board to please try to extend to him the same. YES, there will be misunderstanding as has already happened in a few other posts - posts where all involved, including Andy, appologized to each other - and I'm sure we will have a few more misunderstandings. But there is NO need for us to be rude on purpose. Please refrain from replying to Andy's posts if you only want to snip and snap at him. Librarian, if I am wrong in assuming that this is how we should act here, please correct me.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Antonius Varus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Antonius Varus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:58 am

I honestly didn't mean to be rude to anyone, my apologies if I was.

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:25 am

Well, to Answer the question:

I of course cannot answer for anyone else but myself, because I feel that all of us have our own "evidences", our own ways of proving our faith to ourselves. When I walk outside at night, and see the Moon looking down on me, and I can hear the river whispering to me, and can feel the wind greeting me, thats when I know my faith is founded. When I am Upset, I can sometimes look out my window and see the moon looking down on me, at a time when it would not necessarily be in that position, I know that my faith is founded. I don't have any hard evidence, and for the most part I cannot prove anything to anyone else. But I don't feel the need to, I can prove my faith to myself and thats all that matters.

Antonius Varus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Antonius Varus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:16 am

That is indeed what matters, as long as you are content with your faith.

In reference to one of my earlier posts, I may have been a bit snappy because I know for a fact that several others have attempted to lay out Pagan beliefs for Andy in the past, and it doesn't seem to have done much good. Yet he continues to ask for more, apparently for no other reason than to give him an opportunity to refute them.

Again, I apologise if I've caused any offense.

Andy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:27 am

Raven wrote:Well, to Answer the question:

I of course cannot answer for anyone else but myself, because I feel that all of us have our own "evidences", our own ways of proving our faith to ourselves. When I walk outside at night, and see the Moon looking down on me, and I can hear the river whispering to me, and can feel the wind greeting me, thats when I know my faith is founded. When I am Upset, I can sometimes look out my window and see the moon looking down on me, at a time when it would not necessarily be in that position, I know that my faith is founded. I don't have any hard evidence, and for the most part I cannot prove anything to anyone else. But I don't feel the need to, I can prove my faith to myself and thats all that matters.
Thank you Raven, its nice to recieve an answer without me being mentioned in it.

Andy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:31 am

Antonius Varus wrote:That is indeed what matters, as long as you are content with your faith.

In reference to one of my earlier posts, I may have been a bit snappy because I know for a fact that several others have attempted to lay out Pagan beliefs for Andy in the past, and it doesn't seem to have done much good. Yet he continues to ask for more, apparently for no other reason than to give him an opportunity to refute them.

Again, I apologise if I've caused any offense.
This is the first time I have asked on a pagan site what it is that attracted people to paganism.

You will find that I have never 'refuted' any ideas, as I am open minded to all religions. Please do not Judge me for trying to show interest, if you dont want to answer the question to this board, please do not post here, thanks.

Antonius Varus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Antonius Varus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:11 am

Is it my imagination or are you a little uptight?

In any case, I never said that you'd asked about such things on a Pagan site before, I merely said that you'd asked Pagans before. My apologies if I offended you in any way.

If you are indeed prepared to be open-minded about all religions, excellent.

Andy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:32 am

Antonius Varus wrote:Is it my imagination or are you a little uptight?
No, i just dont apreciate beeing told i will ignore your views, when clearly im here to find out more and show that not all christians are closed minded.

No offence, but your not giving a friendly, open minded views which may of the members have given so far.

Andy

Rockhopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:43 am

...Okay... ::distributes chill pills:: and honest question was asked, I've been asked this question before, and I usually tell them the same thing.

When I feel the warmth and see through the light of the Sun, I know that Father Sun is watching over me, keeping me safe. When I feel the fresh morning dew on the grass and the shade of the trees, I know that Mother Earth is providing. When I am refresed with the cool taste of water and feel it flowing over my skin, I know that time is always moving forward, never ceasing even when it seems to stand-still.

I hope that answers the question :)

Andy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:56 am

Rockhopper wrote:...Okay... ::distributes chill pills:: and honest question was asked, I've been asked this question before, and I usually tell them the same thing.

When I feel the warmth and see through the light of the Sun, I know that Father Sun is watching over me, keeping me safe. When I feel the fresh morning dew on the grass and the shade of the trees, I know that Mother Earth is providing. When I am refresed with the cool taste of water and feel it flowing over my skin, I know that time is always moving forward, never ceasing even when it seems to stand-still.

I hope that answers the question :)
Thanks, its interesting to hear differnt peoples views on this.

Andy

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:38 am

Andy wrote:
Antonius Varus wrote:Is it my imagination or are you a little uptight?
No, i just dont apreciate beeing told i will ignore your views, when clearly im here to find out more and show that not all christians are closed minded.

No offence, but your not giving a friendly, open minded views which may of the members have given so far.

Andy
This is from the guy who said to me there is no faith in nature.
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?