Just an Observation...

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Just an Observation...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:35 pm

Something that has occurred to me for a while here and among the pagan community at large that seems a bit -- well-- pathological at times. It's the fact that we spend a lot more time kvetching about what's wrong with the Xtians, than we do enjoying being Pagans. This seems a little bit askew to me. I mean, of course the Xtian world is fatally flawed and hypocritical -- that's why among many other good reasons we're Pagans in the first place!\:D/

Being Pagan is great! It doesn't beg comparison to any other faith system. We're lusty and caring and full of magic and very much attuned to the Earth -- and instead of one book being our portal to truth we are all portals to to many truths and many points of view. We don't spend enough time revelling in what we are, and spend waaay too much time being critical of the Dinosaurs we never could've been.
:supz:

I'd like to say that Pagans -- party animals that most of us are -- are the very apex of what I see as a very big spiritual puppy-pile, and I enjoy the hell out of being one. I'm not saying anyone else is necessarily wrong, but for me -- being Pagan is very very right.

hex:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:39 am

There is a lot of wisdom in what you say.

I think the reason why sometimes we get carried away with puring a bucket of manure over christianity or over some christians is either that some us us have managed to escape christianity only fairly recently or that we just have come across one of those truly awful christians who say "you are going to hell because...." (whatever that may mean).

Yes you are right, I agree that we should spend more time and effort on celebrating what we are.

Blessings.
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:39 am

Well said! I'll raise a mug to that! :drinkers: :partyman:
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

socialgreen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by socialgreen » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:51 am

Bad experiences with Fundie Xians does deserve a rant now and then but I believe I wrote in another thread that we, as pagans, are not out to convert anyone to any particular spiritual path. We enjoy what we are led to and grow in our own ethics and spiritual growth which differ from one person to another. On the other hand, there are those who would want our paths to be done away with completely. Don't be surprised if all of us have to hide our paths from public view one day because of the political dealings of Xians.
social
If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 am

Well said Dragonflydrummer.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. When I was 13 I would rant and rave in my lonely head about the flaws of Xianity, but I don't see the point so often anymore. But this has gotten me into trouble. Because I have not been around Xians in so long (except grandparents, and the city people i do not converse with as I live near the bible belt in BC Canada) for the longest time I believed people in my town to be accepting. I felt that because I turn my head and don't judge them and don't get into arguments the whole ugly mess could be avoided. I was stricken dumb at a gas station when a man offered me a pamphlet for his church and when I declined politely (with a smile) he freaked out on me. Ha ha, that's fun, being screamed at by a total stranger that I am a whore and I am giong to hell. Yay.

Ugh. Rant. Sorry again. Anyway, the point I want to make is that we will all have these confrontations one time or another, but the more we ignore the Xian arguments the better off we are. Maybe I just like peace, but the moment someone starts talking about Xianity and that their way is right I leave the room. I don't want to fight and tell them I won't go to hell. One of my former best friends openly told me he believed I would go to hell. (Needless to say he wasn't quite my best friend after that. It just doesn't stay well after ^_^)
Maybe because I am younger I feel that when I enter the community I must put on my respectable act. But really, the more you pay attention to your own path and ignore arguments against it, the better you can argue for it should the need arise in order to convince yourself or just make yourself feel better when a Fundie goes on a rant. If you are constantly arguing against Xianity's problems with your path, how can you focus on the good of it?
There are good things about Xianity too. I really feel awed by churches and Xians with faith. It is beautiful. Paganism is beautiful. Muslims are beautiful. UNTIL THEY START ARGUING!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:38 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:
There are good things about Xianity too. I really feel awed by churches and Xians with faith. It is beautiful. Paganism is beautiful. Muslims are beautiful. UNTIL THEY START ARGUING!!
Of the three you mention I like Pagans. The others .... "eeeek!" :boxing:

By the way I've spent a little time in B.C. now & again and it is a truly magical and majestic region. Are you along the coast or inland? :-D
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:45 am

I live on the coast, 2 hour's drive from Vancouver. It is a wonderful place ^_____^
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:07 pm

Well said dragonflydrummer! I do agree as well though, that many rant because they are only recently free of the chains of christianity.

I try not to argue as well CHL - I hate conflict, fighting, anger when there really isn't any good going to come out of it. There is no point in arguing with a fanatical christian because you aren't going to change their opinion, you'll only make them hate you more and you'll just upset yourself more than you need to be. However, that said, there are times when a well placed sentence or two just can't be resisted ;)
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Very true. We all need to b**ch every once in a while.
I'm not perfect, of course. I'll catch myself occasionally thinking anti-Xian thoughts, though mostly anti-fundie thoughts. And the jokes ^___^ Always good to laugh. So much fun to make jokes of them :P
Crazy Healer Lady

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:59 pm

I'm not saying that there aren't a ton of hypocrisies and plain old dumb aspects to the overall system of the Xtians and for my money the whole fundamentalist thing is just plain enforced ignorance. What I am saying is -- being Pagan is served better by defining what and how we are in terms of our individual points-of-view, than by our observations of the Xtians' fetid stew (heh heh...). Our lives are enriched by recognizing & healing who we we are.

Of course there will always be a time now or then for pot-shots at those overbearing bible-thumpin' bozos. :lol:
:angel12:

I guess I want to learn more of the good stuff about us...

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:12 pm

I think most were trying to agree with you on that point ^_^ and then got into a little rant about them anyway O_O
Crazy Healer Lady

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Funny how that happens -- perhaps it's the down-side of being a "sub-" or "counter-culture."

Did you feel the pull of that full moon last night up there in B.C.? It was a very strong one I thought... :-)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:14 am

Oh my gods, yes I did!!!!

I rearranged my entire healing room: It looks so different, but the energy is so much stronger!!!

I knew there was something special about it ^____^ That is crazy.
Crazy Healer Lady

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:44 am

dragonflydrummer wrote: Did you feel the pull of that full moon last night up there in B.C.? It was a very strong one I thought... :-)
Interesting that you should say this.

It was what the Chinese call "August Moon", when traditionally it is believed that the Moon is at its brightest and most powerful of the whole year.

(OK, I know it is September, but they still call it "August Moon". [Just the same way as the October Revolution was in November, and the Oktoberfest it actually in September.)

I see I've started to ramble: cut.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:18 pm

Ahh a thread that isn't talking about -- well, Xtian stuff. How refreshing.

The Chinese August Moon, then, it was indeed a strong pull...