Coming of Age Ritual

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Baylee
Level 2
Level 2

Coming of Age Ritual

Post by Baylee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Hey,
I'm writing a coming of age ritual for myself...and I don't really know where to start. I already turned 13, but really the only idea I have is to have a potluck thing...I've never done any rituals with other people. My Mom's working on it with me...but any ideas would be great.
Blessed Be,
Baylee
Keep in mind that many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe.
-Christopher Paolini

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:29 pm

Well there is the ritual of letting menstrual blood drip on some moss and burying it near a creek, but I think no one finds that appealing, according to another thread ;);) :smt077

But how about making an offering of some kind to Mother Earth, or to your personal Deities? A strand of hair, a personal loved possession that does not litter or pollute, or even just cleaning up trash for a day.

I wish I had been more into this when I was 13 :-( lol

Is this something you want to involve family/friends in? or something by yourself?

You could invite friends or family to share with you what they hope for in your coming of age, blessings, etc during a potluck...

I'm a little rusty on rituals as I am not a ritual-type person, but thought you may be able to use these suggestions

hope all goes well and congrats!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Baylee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baylee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks CHL!
I know that I'm gonna have a potluck with my family and closest friends invited...the idea of giving up something to the earth is really good...
Thanks for the ideas!
Blessed Be,
Baylee
Keep in mind that many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe.
-Christopher Paolini

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:09 pm

there is a reason I avoid the Menstrual Rituals thread....

Men simply do not need to hear such things.. <(xx)>

Baylee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baylee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:14 pm

:lol: I'm with you there...
-Christopher Paolini

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:48 am

We had a weaning ritual/party for my daughter when she weaned. One very powerful thing that we did (and this would translate well for any life-stage ritual) was line up the babies and toddlers still nursing, and then all the older children and have her walk from the babies and join the other group. Then everyone hugged her and congratulated her. It was a way of symbolically leaving babyhood and being accepted into the next circle. You could have all of the children line up in a group and then walk from them to all of the adults. Have them congratulate you and welcome you to adulthood. We plan to do something like this to celebrate my daughter's menarche.
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:40 am

That's awesome that you would do that for your daughter. I kind of my parents had made me feel better about going through that stage in my life. On one hand, there is my dad, who treated it like I had scraped my knee O_O and my mom's a nurse, so there was the bitterness and matter-of-fact explanation of it. I'm sure I would have a lot less of my problems if I had only been made to feel good about what was happening, not like it was the burden of women everywhere.

And to Raven: A coming of age thread. What do you expect just may come up :lol: Especially when the one coming of age is thirteen
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:17 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: And to Raven: A coming of age thread. What do you expect just may come up :lol: Especially when the one coming of age is thirteen
Well.... shut up

it took me by suprise

lol but I suppose I did ask for it =P
I need to remember that this board is like 80% women...
and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that !

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:43 am

Raven wrote:
Well.... shut up

it took me by suprise

lol but I suppose I did ask for it =P
I need to remember that this board is like 80% women...
I'm not used to being around guys who see moontime as taboo anymore ;)
And I will say nothing more for fear of going on a long, undeserved fundie-feminist rant :P

Peace ^^?
Crazy Healer Lady

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:43 pm

I don't see it as a taboo at all, its natural, its life. I just would rather not hear about some of the... finer? details...

Being hemophobic doesn't help either....

Baylee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baylee » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:02 pm

Thank you all so much for the ideas!
Blessed Be,
Baylee
-Christopher Paolini

Baylee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baylee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:18 pm

Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm having the ritual on Saturday...and actually later tonight my Aunt and my Mom are going to go over the ritual with me...My Aunt also helped create my Mom and Step-Dad's wedding ceremony, which was very...un-mainstream. My Aunt acted as the Priestess so afterward my Mom and Step-Dad had to fill all this paperwork to make it official...
Anyway, I'll post the basics of the ritual hopefully tomorrow, and then the rest sometime after Saturday...
Thanks again for all the ideas!
Blessed Be,
Baylee
-Christopher Paolini

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:26 pm

Congrats and I hope it goes well ^__^
-CHL
Crazy Healer Lady

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:12 am

Yay! I hope everything goes well.

I wish more young people got to experience these rites of passage. I think a lot of the frustration and rebellion that goes on in adolesence is because there is no clear-cut passage into adulthood. Do they become adults when they turn 16 and get their license? 18 when they get to vote? or 21 when they can legally drink alcohol? Not to mention we expect them to be children long after their bodies are telling them they are adults.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm just very excited for you.
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:40 am

2Crunchy wrote: Do they become adults when they turn 16 and get their license? 18 when they get to vote? or 21 when they can legally drink alcohol?
My dad once told me that these three milestones mark the maturity of the three main parts of a person.

16: You have reached a physical adulthood, in that your reflexes and motor control is adult enough to drive, and your mind is working on it.

18: You have reached mental adulthood because now you have the responsibility to chose our leaders.

21: You have reached spiritual adulthood because now you must decide what is best for your body and mind according to your beliefs (to get sloshed or not to get sloshed, ah the question!)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!