Difference between Religion and Spirituality?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Difference between Religion and Spirituality?

Post by Silver Spider » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:03 pm

Greetings,

I’d like to know the difference between Religion and Spirituality. Let me supply a little background information first. My parents were raised with Catholic Christian beliefs. They saw some of the negativity within the Church, and when it came time for my sister and I to learn about this matter, my parents didn’t want to force any religion onto my sister and I. “You believe in whatever you like. We won’t force you into any belief. If you want to be Catholic, go ahead. If you want to be a Jehovah’s Witness, that’s fine. If you want to be a Lutheran, ok.” Etc. My sister chose Catholicism. I, on the other hand, didn’t go to any church because I saw how the churches were perpetuating ignorance, lies, and other negative things. The churches influence our society, and this arose within my classmates while growing up and going to school. Christian ways also came up directly and indirectly through television and books. Anyways, much later into adulthood, I finally learned about the Craft, and now this is my belief.

There’s still much Spiritual knowledge I need to learn. I have to build my Spiritual Center, and will do so in the years to come. Still, I don’t know the difference between Religion and Spirituality. Religion is more than being dogmatic, isn’t it? I’ve started feeling out things more ever since I got into the Craft. As I’ve become more Spiritual, I felt the religion within music and books. For example, It’s been a couple of years since I graduated from college. I now need to re-enter college to receive my Teaching Credential. I attempted to take one English course at the local community college. When I began the semester, and saw the course syllabus, I thought, “oh yes, I’ve read some of these authors/writings before, this should be easy.” But it wasn’t easy! I started to feel the negativity of the literature! I felt the Religion! In short, the word that comes to mind is “YUK!” I didn’t feel that out in the past!! The literature I read didn’t even discuss Religion, but had a religious feel to it! I had to drop the class because my grade was going to be less than a B. I’m going to try again in the summer or fall, but at least I’ll know better, and ease off on my spiritual readings and other spiritual activities. Spirituality brings out the Truth!

I know many of you went to some kind of church or temple when you were growing up. I feel sorry those of you who’ve felt what I’ve felt (if not much worse!) I’m sure what I’ve said is just a minor example.

Still questions remain, “What is the Difference between Religion and Spirituality? Is there a precise meaning for each one?” Please don’t direct me to any dictionary unless you’re absolutely certain that that dictionary has the correct definition. Dictionaries only help so much, especially within Spirituality. Oh, there’s one other thing I’ve noticed about Religion-ignorance. Religion ignores the Truth. Now I don’t know if that’s central to Religion, or just a major part of Religion.

Well, can you tell me the difference? What exactly does each one mean? I’d very much like to know if you have an answer. Thank you.

Blessed be

User avatar
Dreams2wicked
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Contact:

Post by Dreams2wicked » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:36 pm

This is my belief. First of all I don't associate religion with any specific belief, religion is not solely christian, any belief can be a religion. For example, Wicca is the religion based on witchcraft.
I personally choose not to have a "religion", I just consider my beliefs (Paganism/Witchcraft) to be my Spirituality. For me personally, spirituality is a solitary thing, where religion implies more of a group or institutionalized setting surrounding a specific set of beliefs.
I think people have their own opinions about the difference between the two, some may say there is no difference. You can be spiritual without having a religion, it's a personal choice, that's my belief anyway.
Hope this helps a little.

B*B
Dreams

P.S. I also think religion is more rigid, having more specific guidelines.
"In the real world, as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems"-Dean Koontz

User avatar
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 pm

Greetings.

The joy (or curse) of semantics.

If you pick out the right bits from dictionary.com you get fairly close to what I think the difference is:

Religion (I am quoting selectively):
1. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief (in a supernatural power or powers) and worship.
2. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
(There are other definitions as well, but I have picked them out because they suit me the best.)

Spiritual (Again I am quoting selectively):
1.Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul. (Again, there are other definitions, bot these two suit me the best.)


Putting it into my own words, I think Religion has do with structure and organization, and (on a personal level) with what you DO, whereas Spirituality has to do with what you feel and experience.

Neither being religious or being spiritual is attached to any particular faith. There are many persons who are religious but not spiritual at all. And the other way around as well.

I always tend to describe my paganism as "beliefs" rather than "a religion", because for me it is not a structured thing - quite to the contrary... and that is one of the main attractions.

I know I tend to ramble a bit, but I hope this helps.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:46 pm

I understand that Spirituality is often solitary. However, I've learned that there are spiritual groups called covens. A coven consists of two or more spiritual people, or a more traditional number of thirteen.

As far as structure is concerned, that's a good thing. I speak from life experience when I say that. (It's difficult to explain, believe me...) I think Religion somehow made structure, or the idea of it, very negative. I wasn't going to any churches, but I truly required structure at times. I'm not stupid, and I've been thinking much of my life-I even majored in Philosophy during college. I only say that because during my life I've been asked, "Are you stupid?! Can't you think for yourself?!" I found such questions very irritating and insulting. :evil: When I responded to such questions, they sometimes saw that I was much, much, much more intellectual than they ever could be during their lives! Sometimes I even scared them with kind philosophical thought. I reacted similarly at times, when they told me, "I/we don't want your dogma!" For many years I truly didn't even know what the hell that (dogma) meant. I'm still not certain if I truly know what it means. When I looked up dogma in the dictionary, I got something along the lines of "an established opinion or belief held to be true." Ok, if that's the true definition, then what if it's not an opinion? What if I say something that's ABSOLUTELY TRUE? Is it no longer dogma? Is there a way of saying something absolutely true without dogma?

Sorry for being angry earlier...I'm not mad at any of you who've replied to this posting. I’m just trying to know a few things. Where was I?

Oh, yes. I say that structure is good, and that Religion has somehow made it negative; so I think that's why I hear people say that structure is bad. However, I'm quite certain that structure itself is not negative. Structure is found in our classrooms. It's also found in Science, Engineering, and other industrious activities, if I'm not mistaken. Would we truly have some of the things we have today without some kind of structure? I don't know-probably not.

Covens have structure don't they? Everyone who's part of a coven gets together and perform they same general actions each time they meet for a Sabbat. Correct?

Yes there are times when it's important to be very free, but there are also times when we need strict order. Do we let our society's criminals just walk around freely? Or do we put them in jail? When they're in jail, do we let them walk around freely through the complex? Law enforcement officers probably make sure that criminals are behind bars until they truly have to leave their cell, like going to get their dinner. Would we like to see the good police officers say something like, “well, this law sounds ok, and I’ll enforce that, but that other law, nope, I’m not going to enforce that.” I’d say no. They must enforce the laws no matter what it is. If a law is unjust, then the lawmakers must change that law.

I can also understand why having alot of freedom is important. My guess is that many successful artists didn't become stars by being very rigid. They required the freedom to express themselves. By exploring this freedom, they developed their art so that many could appreciate their work. Perhaps this is similar in solitary/group Spirituality? I'm still trying to get into a coven, so I don't know. As I ponder my past, I didn’t always like it when others told me what was right, especially if I absolutely knew better then he/she (for example, I know that poverty is bad.)

I’m sorry if any of my writings are religious. This is the only place I know where I can communicate with others who are spiritual. It’s not like I can easily walk into some kind of spiritual church and talk with people. The churches in my area are religious-at least as far as I know. To get into some covens require time, getting to know one another, and possibly going through some kind of initiation. How irritating. It’s more like trying to join a club than some kind of organized Spiritual Church/Temple. Yet, I understand why this as happened in our society, why people fear Spirituality and Witches/Wizards. With Spirituality comes Truth and Respect, and when people see Spirituality (as in Witchcraft) the Truth gets in the way. Does this sound weird? It doesn’t sound weird to me because when someone knows a truth in his/her life, especially a problem or another negativity, it could make him/her cry-at the very least. So that’s why Spirituality has a very low profile, and isn’t as open as Religion-Religion ignores the Truth; I hope you now understand if you didn’t before. That’s why some of your caring family and friends aren’t interested, and/or don’t understand Spirituality. If the Truth wasn’t in the way, we’d probably have more open Spirituality in our society.

I think I was going to say something else, but I don’t recall what that was.

Well, keep the ideas coming. Perhaps someone else can provide additional knowledge/information on this Spirituality/Religion thing. Thank you.

Blessings

User avatar
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:52 am

Greetings,
Silver Spider wrote:
... What if I say something that's ABSOLUTELY TRUE? Is it no longer dogma? Is there a way of saying something absolutely true without dogma?...

... I’d say no. They must enforce the laws no matter what it is. If a law is unjust, then the lawmakers must change that law....

For me there are two problems here.

The first one is that I believe that there is no such thing as something that is absolutely true. To me, truth is a relative concept. What is true for one person may not be true for another. And I even doubt that there is an absolute truth for any one individual, because what was true this morning may no longer be so in the afternoon, and so on.

The second one concerns accepting or enforcing unjust laws. I believe that unjust laws should not be adhered to; on the contrary, they should be resisted with every means possible. I believe that it is of utmost importance to do "what is right", rather than to do what the law says, just because it's the law.

Getting back to the structure thing. I am neither Wiccan nor Witch, so I can't say anything about covens, because I have never been in one. But, yes, as soon as you have more than one person involved (is group spirituality a word?) then there would be some need for some sort of structure or organisation, otherwise no-one would even know when and where to meet. And that is good for some people, but not for others. One of the things I have learned in the past few months is that there are an almost infinite way of being a pagan (or, if you want to come back to spirituality, of being spiritual). And they are all equally valid, I believe.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:20 am

There are times, as mentioned, when structure hinders power.

Also, religion can include spirituality. If anyone asked, I would say my religion was pagan, and my spirituatlity involves communication with my spirit guide.

I'm a solitaire, sort of...I have my fiance, who's studing Celtic Druidism...but we don't really work together often. I work with my friends VERY rarely...but we've never been structured in the formal sense.

I also don't believe a concept of ABSOLUTE truth. Truth is Thought, and Thought is skewed by a person's Point of View. Your history, your beliefs, your morals, your ethics are all factors in what you preceive as TRUTH.
There are people out there that I have encountered on other forums that take the Bible to be ABSOLUTE Truth.
The word "Absolute" means complete...and that means closed...which means once you decide something's ABSOLUTELY true, you close your mind to it, and it becomes Dogma, something that is believed without question.

I don't believe that TRUTH is why spirituality is shunned, I believe it is because most spirituality LACKS ABSOLUTES...it is never taken at face value, spiritual revelations are always questioned to find the nuances and shades of meanings behind the visions. Most people don't feel comfortable with such a variable base of a belief system because they've been taught all their lives that everything is black and white...right and wrong...good and evil. But it is never that cut and dry, and the world is riddled with in-betweens.

This, of course, is all my POV, and shoud be taken as thus!
~K
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Kystar wrote:I'm a solitaire, sort of...I have my fiance, who's studing Celtic Druidism...
If your using the word "fiance" to mean that you're engaged to be married, and not a misuse the word to mean "boyfriend," then I must tell you congratulations. May your marriage be a happy and prosperous one. (I'm still looking for my Mrs. Right.)
I also don't believe a concept of ABSOLUTE truth. Truth is Thought, and Thought is skewed by a person's Point of View. Your history, your beliefs, your morals, your ethics are all factors in what you preceive as TRUTH.
There are people out there that I have encountered on other forums that take the Bible to be ABSOLUTE Truth.
The word "Absolute" means complete...and that means closed...which means once you decide something's ABSOLUTELY true, you close your mind to it, and it becomes Dogma, something that is believed without question.
God(s) exist(s). What I just said is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Wouldn't you say? Yes, you have the correct meaning of absolute, and I did mean that. How about this (literally): "To kill someone is unethical." Is that absolutely true? How does this sound? (I'm going to use God and not Gods for simplicity.) God doesn't die. God is eternal. God is here yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Isn't this absolutely true? (I think that came off somewhat religious, sorry.) But do you understand my point about absolute Truth?

As far as the Bible is concerned, wouldn't many of you say that it's crap? Also keep in mind that many Christians are religious, and not spiritual. Others are part religious and part spiritual. Religious people don't usually feel out the Truth, but spiritual people can and do feel out the Truth. Believe me, as I became more spiritual in recent times, I felt out the Truth. Things that didn't bother me before now bothered me. I saw the negativity of some things in our society, which I guess I was ignoring in the past. You can also know Truth through Intellect and Experience. Of course, knowing the Truth through a combination of Spirituality(feeling Truth), Intellect, and Experience is quite positive at times. I'm willling to bet that many of you who were raised Christian used one or more of these and realized some truths about the Bible. I'm NOT saying that the Bible is absolute crap.

There may have been some spiritual truths that have surfaced through the Bible over the years. It's not easy being a spiritual person (Witch/Wizard, Druid, Pagan, etc.) in Western society. My guess is that over the centuries, caring spiritual people did somehow manage to put some spiritual truth in the Bible. Perhaps sometimes spiritual people didn't have anyone/where else to go, so they stuck it out in the traditional Christian churches of Europe. I don't know. Perhaps some of you have done your own personal analysis of all this.
I don't believe that TRUTH is why spirituality is shunned, I believe it is because most spirituality LACKS ABSOLUTES...it is never taken at face value, spiritual revelations are always questioned to find the nuances and shades of meanings behind the visions. Most people don't feel comfortable with such a variable base of a belief system because they've been taught all their lives that everything is black and white...right and wrong...good and evil. But it is never that cut and dry, and the world is riddled with in-betweens.
Here's what I have to say to this passage: YES and NO. Have you ever noticed that some people just can't think for worth a [email protected]#! Yes, they may care, but they don't think! There's a reason for this: while going through life, you've got problems, correct? Even when there's not a problem going on, there's still much negativity in our society, correct? Now life is to experience negativity for God, even if the negativity is something we wouldn't understand as negativity. So it's most likely that you're either being ignorant or naive, or combination of the two. (I think many spiritual people aren't ignoring, and just being naive.) Sometimes it's combination of the two like maybe it's 90% naive and 10% ignorant. Or some other combination percentage, only you know for yourself. Naivte helps you NOT put two and two together, and that's good in our society. Let's see, what am I getting at here? Oh yes! Returning to that "...spirituality lacks absolutes...", if some of these religious people can't think for themselves, then of course traditional Christianity looks pretty good. No thinking required, the church just tells you what the hell is true or not, or what's unethical or not. I also believe that a caring person may not know/understand Spirituality because his/her soul's spiritual knowledge may not be high enough, so off to someplace like a traditional
Christian Church. So YES, some people shun Spirituality because it lacks absolutes.

Now, as far as, "I don't believe that Truth is why spirituality is shunned..." I'll tell you NO! There are people who shun Spirituality because of the Truth. Allow me to explain...When I started getting into this whole Spirituality thing, I learned about the colors. I learned that the color of Spirituality is Purple. I also learned that it means Truth and Respect. If you’re doing any one of those three, the other two aren't far behind. To keep a long story short, and not to endanger any of your lives, I "experimented" with Purple (and some other colors) and the Full Moon on December 24, 2004. (BECAREFUL what you experience under the Full Moon!) I was trying to be more Spiritual, but instead the Truth aroused, and I cried. :sad2: I don't think that particular Truth was a problem (I think,) but it was something negative for me. I'm ok now, and I have an easy life. My point is when you become spiritual, or if someone you know is not spiritual and he/she sees a spiritual activity, the Truth, whether it be personal or not, is not far behind. Your aura is important too.

As I was telling Kystar before, the color [and strength] of your Aura could also effect people. If your Aura is a nice Purple, then make sure you have it under control, or else you may unintentionally frighten someone, or make him/her cry. In the past, from time to time, my Aura has been a healthy White. As I recall, I inadvertently scared some people with my White Aura. White is the color of Intellectualism, to think, and it is cool and calming. Knowledge sometimes scares people as well. There were times when someone would sit next to me and/or be in the same room with me and say, "It feels good to be in your presence. I don't know why, but I feel much calmer next to you." :-) I'm glad White can be calming at times!

Well, I don’t know about you but my head is starting to ache being in front of the computer screen. This whole bulletin board thing is quite an informative and interesting experience, especially if I choose to follow a path of writing a spiritual book. I have important things to say, but I don’t' know if I'm actually going to go forward with that idea. We'll see.

Keep those comments coming. Thank you.

Blessed be

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Silver Spider wrote:
If your using the word "fiance" to mean that you're engaged to be married, and not a misuse the word to mean "boyfriend," then I must tell you congratulations. May your marriage be a happy and prosperous one. (I'm still looking for my Mrs. Right.)
Yes, we are engaged to be married.
We are getting married October 28, 2006.
Thank you for your good wishes.

Personally, I don't attach that much hard-and-fast meaning to colors. I always believed that colors fall under the "Personal Meanings" section. One person can look at a vibrant burnt orange color and be stimulated and exicted by the color, while another person can look at that same color and want to puke. (I'm using this color because my grandfather had a car that color...the most hideous car I've seen in YEARS)
Aura colors and spiritual colors tend to run the same gambit...a color that means one thing to someone, might mean somthing else to another. White doesn't represent anything powerful in my view of the world...absence, maybe...a blank canvas...but that's my view. Purple or violet is a color of introspection, introversion for me. Vibrant blue si the color of powerful thoughts or emotions, dark blue the color of hidden emotions, supressed emotions. Green is earthy things, ambition, that kind of thing.

My point is that IMO there AREN"T any absolutes. Absolutes mean that the book is closed and nothing more is to be said on the topic...which doesn't fit a fluid and ever changing world/universe.

"A closed mind learns nothing" I don't know who said it, but that's the attitude I've taken on my spiritual and religous path. I question everything every day, except for the one important question: Is this the correct path? I haven't questioned my pagan faith since the day I looked a street preacher in the eye and told him that I was a follower of the Great Spirits and didn't need his savior and asked him to stop harrassing me before I called over a cop.

Anyways...I'm not exactly getting all your arguments...I can't twist my POV around enough...but if they are truth for you, then rock on.

POV...that's what everything boils down to...Point of View.
Oh well...good luck on your quest for your truths... 8-)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Kystar wrote:
Personally, I don't attach that much hard-and-fast meaning to colors. I always believed that colors fall under the "Personal Meanings" section.

My point is that IMO there AREN"T any absolutes. Absolutes mean that the book is closed and nothing more is to be said on the topic...which doesn't fit a fluid and ever changing world/universe.
I'm glad to receive your feedback. This forum gives me good insight to how you and other lives feel. I'm not trying to force you into any belief, I hope it doesn't come off that way. Kystar, what if I told you that Science could confirm my theory of "absolutes" concerning the attributes of the colors? If I were to conduct scientific research and show without a doubt that Green means Healing and Prosperity, or that Purple means Spirituality, Truth, and Respect? Don't get me wrong, I understand how you're thinking when you say things like, "oh this color means this to you and this color means this to me." I've been there, done that. In my mind, this whole issue is very complex and complicated. That's what I get for being a Philosopher. I don't know what IMO is short for, but I did understand the "there aren't absolutes part." Yes, the world/universe is in constant change, but at the same time there are things that are rock solid and unchanging.
"A closed mind learns nothing" I don't know who said it, but that's the attitude I've taken on my spiritual and religous path. I question everything every day, except for the one important question: Is this the correct path? I haven't questioned my pagan faith since the day I looked a street preacher in the eye and told him that I was a follower of the Great Spirits and didn't need his savior and asked him to stop harrassing me before I called over a cop.

Anyways...I'm not exactly getting all your arguments...I can't twist my POV around enough...but if they are truth for you, then rock on.

POV...that's what everything boils down to...Point of View.
Oh well...good luck on your quest for your truths... 8-)
I'd like to modify "A closed mind learns nothing." to "An open mind learns much." Believe me when I say there have been times when I've been VERY open, and I either didn't take a stance on anything, or I flip-flopped quite a bit (both legitimately and not.) Open mindedness is good, but it's important that we recognize the "solid" things in life too.

I'm sorry if you don't get all my arguments. If there's something very particular you'd like to ask, then you can post it here, or send me a personal email. I know some of my thoughts are complicated, and I do try to keep it simple. Well, if you no longer reply to this particular issue, that's fine. I thank you for your thoughts and feelings.

Blessed be

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:48 am

Kystar, what if I told you that Science could confirm my theory of "absolutes" concerning the attributes of the colors? If I were to conduct scientific research and show without a doubt that Green means Healing and Prosperity, or that Purple means Spirituality, Truth, and Respect? [/quote]

IMO means "In My Opinion", first off.

Secondly, I don't believe that you can Scientifically prove a Spiritually interrepation for anything. There is no way to show without a doubt that one color represents the save thing for EVERYONE. Spirituallity and aura and all of those things are a very individual thing...and everyone's interpretation of something is skewed by their point of view, which is influenced by past experience and personal preference. Therefore, there cannot be a "Standard" for the concept of Color meanings. You cannot scientifically prove someone's preference.

As for not getting all of your arguments, I can't understand your fascination with locking a concept in stone by calling it an absolute. I don't believe that pure absolutes exist in this world...there are no guarentees in this life, there are no hard and fast rules for anything. There isn't a cookie-cutter approach to any spirituality that will do the same thing for everyone. That's not how the Divine made this world...they made this world to hold infinte variety and possiblitiy...right down to the way we interpret things.

So, on your "absolutes" would Lavendar mean the exact same thing as Royal Purple?
If so, why, when one color is more influenced by the Lighter spectrum (white) and one is more influneced by the Darker spectrum (Black)
These are the variables, these are where the theory of something absolutly meaning something gets broken down. Because this is where personality comes into play. Royal purple has more meaning for me than lavendar because I feel more comfortable with the shadowed side of things. A friend of mine would say the opposite...but what can you expect from a girl who has a spirit guide of a unicorn? LOL.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:10 pm

Oh no! We're getting away from my original question: What's the difference between Religion and Spirituality?

Yet, I'll still respond to your reply Kystar.
Kystar wrote:Secondly, I don't believe that you can Scientifically prove a Spiritually interrepation for anything. There is no way to show without a doubt that one color represents the save thing for EVERYONE.


I believe you can find the true meaning to some things through Science and Engineering, unfortunately some of our Scientists and Engineers have a problem dealing with Spiritual knowledge, as you may understand. Many don't even know that there is a difference between Spirituality and Religion. So some spiritual knowledge that may be improved in some way, may not have even been touched by scientific research. Science has brought us some good and convenient things over the years. It has either brought us something original, or it modified existing non-scientific knowledge. I plan to study Science, particularly Physics, in the years to come, but first Spirituality requires my attention.
As for not getting all of your arguments, I can't understand your fascination with locking a concept in stone by calling it an absolute. I don't believe that pure absolutes exist in this world...there are no guarentees in this life, there are no hard and fast rules for anything. There isn't a cookie-cutter approach to any spirituality that will do the same thing for everyone. That's not how the Divine made this world...they made this world to hold infinte variety and possiblitiy...right down to the way we interpret things.


I'm quite certain that there are absolutes in this world. Yes, there's infinite variety and possibility right down to the way we interpret things. At the same time there are truly absolute things. Take for example, the Aura. Every caring person on this planet has an aura, whether he/she knows it or not. This is absolutely true. The variety comes into play with the color and strength of the Aura.
So, on your "absolutes" would Lavendar mean the exact same thing as Royal Purple?
If so, why, when one color is more influenced by the Lighter spectrum (white) and one is more influneced by the Darker spectrum (Black)
These are the variables, these are where the theory of something absolutly meaning something gets broken down. Because this is where personality comes into play. Royal purple has more meaning for me than lavendar because I feel more comfortable with the shadowed side of things.


I spent some time writing a response to this–a whole single-spaced page on Microsoft Word. I believe I wrote it in a simple way that would allow most people to understand what I'm getting at. However, if I'm ever going to write a spiritual book, then I'm also afraid to post my original reply. Some lives might take this knowledge publish it under his/her name, when it was truly my thought. I also face a dilemma that some lives might misuse Color knowledge–intentionally or not.

First I'm cheated out of Math and Science, then Philosophy, and now maybe Spirituality. :(

Let me say this about absolute color meaning. The "true-absolute" Purple will always mean Spirituality, Truth, Respect, and has a temperature somewhere between warm and cool. (Red and Blue mixed equal Purple.) When you get something like a lighter or darker shade of Purple, the original meaning might weaken, but it's still there. Another set of feelings are making their way through, depending on what color you're adding or subtracting. That's all I'll say about that now. I plan to add a few more topics in the Magick area of our forum.
A friend of mine would say the opposite...but what can you expect from a girl who has a spirit guide of a unicorn? LOL.


Your spiritual animal [totem?] is a unicorn? How nice. I think my animal totem is the panther and possibly the dragon, but I'm not certain. I'm going to post more things in the Magick section. Maybe you'll reply in there.

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:33 pm

Silver Spider wrote:
When you get something like a lighter or darker shade of Purple, the original meaning might weaken, but it's still there. Another set of feelings are making their way through, depending on what color you're adding or subtracting. That's all I'll say about that now. I plan to add a few more topics in the Magick area of our forum.
Ah, but I'm not talking an aura that is reacting to feelings, I'm talking the BASE color, the resting color, when one is centered and at peace.

When I am perfectly centered, with no random thoughts or emotions floating through my head, I have been told with certainty that my aura is a rich, royal purple. (I don't See, therefore, I've never seen my own aura...and no matter how much I try to focus, and I can't, it's not one of my skills) This was told to me by multiple people whom I trust.

However, my close friend, born on the same day about a decade before me, has a resting aura color of Lavendar.

SO what does that reflect about our different personalities? How can the exact same meaning be applied to seperate people as to why they have a similar aura in different shades?
The best explination was that I'm a night creature and she's a day creature...after all, I have an owl as a guide, and she's got a unicorn...and there is NOTHING that gives off more bloody light that one of those things on a spirit realm!

as for focusing more on the color/aura issue and not the general spirituality issue, I don't do well with generalities. I don't like broad scope dialogs. I find the discussion on color to be more to my liking then the vague discussion of two sides of the same coin.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Silver Spider
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Silver Spider » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:08 pm

Kystar wrote:Ah, but I'm not talking an aura that is reacting to feelings, I'm talking the BASE color, the resting color, when one is centered and at peace.


Perhaps using the aura was a bad example on my part. I'm not trying to say that the aura is reacting to feelings. The resting color can change if you choose to change it.

When I say Purple, I don't mean Violet or Lavender. Absolute and true Purple is its own color, it is the central color of all the shades of Purple, such as the two mentioned earlier. You may feel some of the feelings that come with Purple, if you use Violet and Lavender frequently. However, Violet and Lavender do have their own unique meaning in addition to the true, one and only, absolute Purple.
However, my close friend, born on the same day about a decade before me, has a resting aura color of Lavendar.

SO what does that reflect about our different personalities? How can the exact same meaning be applied to seperate people as to why they have a similar aura in different shades?


The exact meaning doesn't apply to you and your friend because Purple isn't EXACTLY the same as Violet or Lavender.
as for focusing more on the color/aura issue and not the general spirituality issue, I don't do well with generalities. I don't like broad scope dialogs. I find the discussion on color to be more to my liking then the vague discussion of two sides of the same coin.


I can respect what you're saying. Although I think I can work with both generalities and particulars, I can understand the idea of being precise and clear. When we're being particular, we have a potentially strong expression of one another during a discussion through this forum. Please pardon my error of bringing in the aura with the colors. That's for another topic.

As I mentioned before, I had an original response to the whole color thing. I was tempted to send that original response to you in a personal email. However, for the reasons I stated before, I must be careful. Even though you seem alright, I must be either absolutely certain or be highly certain that you or anyone else can be fully or highly trusted. I know some spiritual things that many other people do not know. If I were to go into details in a book, I think I risk the idea of people misusing the knowledge; it would be full of examples for others to test out for themselves, and they'd know that I truly speak the truth. That can be dangerous.

When I got up this morning, I could recall my dream. Once I looked it up, details and all, in my dream dictionary (I think I may have finally found a legitimate dream dictionary), it said my actions will cost me dearly. I'm quite certain it's referring to my book idea in my mind. Damn. And I have important things that I could say all in one nice neat little book, but again I'm afraid to risk it. I've been thinking about that all day. I can't win... :cry: I know that dreams really do have meaning. I also know the Tarot is true. That was somewhat creepy when I learned that it was true. (When I left the computer lab, the crows were near by, squawking.) I used to think the Tarot was BS. I don't feel comfortable with the Tarot. It gives me the chills.

I'm a man with ethics, and I'm certain my soul has reincarnated on this planet many times.

Well, maybe my spiritual book idea is down the drains, even if I know some important things. The more I think about, the more I'm afraid to write it. How frustrating!...

I think I'll go check the Magick area now, and see if there's anything new.

Arrgg, I just realized why my tone was starting to sound depressing-it's a color I've been in physical contact with today. I need some rest.

Blessed be

User avatar
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:45 am

Greetings
Somehow we seem to have been side-tracked (by the discussion about absolutes) from the "Religion/Spirituality' theme.
Can I ask a question about that?
Where does faith have a role with either or both of those?
Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

User avatar
Ragnar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2820
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Preußen (Deutschland).
Contact:

Post by Ragnar » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi,
I am glad I read your question. It seems to put my mind more on track about what I mean by;
before the monothiests came along and forced us into compartments by afixing labels.
As I said somewhere else on these boards, they needed to do this to identify the threat. I think "religion" is one of these labels, "spirituality", however; is what we had before we were labeled. Spiritual is the freedom of the self, religion starts getting you tied up in rules, which I think leads to "superstition". I.e, "if I do not tie a ribbon around this tree, the world will end" is different to "I will tie a ribbon around this tree to honour the earth, but if I don't, hey I may feel like I should, but it's not the end of the Earth", or whatever. (could "religion" there fore be said to be a mental weakness, similar to manic hand washing?).
Therefore, if I understand my self right, you can be spiritual without bieng "religious", but not the other way around. That is if you take your religion seriously, as opposed to monothiests, who only go to "church" as a hobby.
Faith. Well if you do not have faith in what you are doing, ("courage of convictions"?) then why bother?
Hope this makes sense. It is late, I must be awake at 4a.m, and this Dutch "tobacco" is good.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest