bona fide or bullcrap?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
Kobak
Level 1
Level 1

bona fide or bullcrap?

Post by Kobak » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:08 am

i just came back from a "psychic fair" that my college held, and it was pretty interesting. the most interesting of which was an aura "camera" they had (naturally, this was an outside professional company they had come in). anyway, i'm curious about this because instead of just standing you in front of a white space and photographing your aura, they had you grab a sensor as well (and the curtain behind you was black).

i don't know much about auras or how professionals work with them, but that sensor seemed very strange to me, like it should have been unnecessary. do you think it was just some complex gimmick, where it generated random colours based on body temperature, pressure, etc?

also interesting was my aura. in the square of the pictures and my head in the middle, there was a thick green S shape, and by my head white, and in the corner purple. i've read that white is a spiritual color and such, but i've also read that it's associated with ill health and death. also, for the purple, that bits of violet/purple are just temporary spiritual thoughts.

lastly, my aura seemed very organized compared to other students, whose pictures looked like tie dye, more or less, or solidly one colour with splatches of another. could this be because i tried to clear my mind beforehand?

or was it really all a giant technological hoax?

the palmistry dude was fun, though, and my numerology report was way off.
...'tis most evident and plain that simple Nature is the most harmless, inoffensive, and virtuous mistress. 'Tis she alone, if she were permitted, that better instructs the world than all the inventions of Man. --Aphra Behn, <u>Oroonoko</u>

RavenEyes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RavenEyes » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:29 am

Hmm, i know that you can use Kirlian (sp??) photography to take pictures of auras, but i also know that people can create fake images quite easily...
i read something somewhere about holding some sort of diode or something to stop them using one of the fake techniques, but i don't remember where i read that... try googling for kirlian photography...??
Live Life to the full, Be true to yourself

Debbrah

Post by Debbrah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:51 am

My main problem with them is in trying to read the aura. I don't have a problem believing it could be photographed (I'm undecided as to if I believe they actually are doing so.)

Reading it... well, when "seen" (or smelt or felt or however the individual reads the aura) it is translated into a symbolic language. One person sees green where one sees purple. And some pick up on certain areas and others other areas. Someone who listens to themselves can learn to understand their own inner language and translate the image into something else. But when a camera/machine does it... what is it picking up on to determine color choices and how do they really fit things such as personality or health problems?
"There's not much that's contrary to nature if you just know how to coax her along a little."- Mad Amos Malone (A. D. Foster)

Kobak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobak » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:00 am

RavenEyes wrote:Hmm, i know that you can use Kirlian (sp??) photography to take pictures of auras, but i also know that people can create fake images quite easily...
i read something somewhere about holding some sort of diode or something to stop them using one of the fake techniques, but i don't remember where i read that... try googling for kirlian photography...??
from the skeptic's dictionary:
In 1939, Semyon Kirlian discovered by accident that if an object on a photographic plate is subjected to a high-voltage electric field, an image is created on the plate. The image looks like a colored halo or coronal discharge. This image is said to be a physical manifestation of the spiritual aura or "life force" which allegedly surrounds each living thing.

Allegedly, this special method of "photographing" objects is a gateway to the paranormal world of auras. Actually, what is recorded is due to quite natural phenomena such as pressure, electrical grounding, humidity and temperature. Changes in moisture (which may reflect changes in emotions), barometric pressure, and voltage, among other things, will produce different 'auras'.
so there you have it. given all of that, do you think Kirlian photography is an accurate method of "recording" the aura?

edit: i guess this belongs more in magic and energy usage, so feel free to move it if you wish.
...'tis most evident and plain that simple Nature is the most harmless, inoffensive, and virtuous mistress. 'Tis she alone, if she were permitted, that better instructs the world than all the inventions of Man. --Aphra Behn, <u>Oroonoko</u>

Greensilver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Greensilver » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:29 am

2 points here i feel I should make
Although Kirlion techonligy has been denounced as fake there where some interesting things noticed number one a leaf taken off a ill or diseased plant has a much weaker sig than a healthy one and a penny which has had a healer charge it gives off a much stronger signal you should see the difference in photos

Ok as for these aura photo machines I am of the opinion that an aura is made of electrical charge so why cant a machine record it?
I have seen a lot of photos taken with theses cameras a lot of them seem to match the person very well.
For example on a british make over show the gardener had a very calm light blue aura while the very me me me designer had a murky brown one, I don't know the producer could of set that up

Now recently I had one of those photos as well The interesting thing for me was The night before (I didn't know this fair was coming up)
I did a lot of work with the Deity Tyr whos sacred color is red and my aura came up wrapped in red like i was wearing a big red cloak also it wasn't a nasty red just red...

Also i had been wearing my grandads cap that day (he unfourtanatly is dead now) and you could see the out line off it around my head in purple very strange but it confirmed to me that personally I think its real
I know an ash its name is Yggdrasil, high tree holy- It stands forever green above wyrds well.

aintgottaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Maybe this has something to do with the subject???????

Post by aintgottaclue » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:44 pm

http://www.rexresearch.com/agro/1strnhm.htm
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/FOI3.php?printing=yes
http://www.em-probe.com/experience.html

Question: If electromagnetic energy can affect growth rates of living organisms, wouldn't there have to be SOME way to measure the "norm" of the organism (perhaps something akin to Kirlian photography?), so that studies could be done at various levels of EM radiation? [I know they seem to have proven that Kirlian photography is fake, but there must be SOME way to measure the body's EM field...I think.... [-o< ]

And what about mood stones? I wonder if any studies have ever been done to ascertain how accurate they may (or may not) be?
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question443.htm
Christians are irrational. I may not be a Christian, but at least I'm rational! (Well, most of the time, anyway.)

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Well, I can tell you that kirlian photography is used in metallurgy to check for metal fatigue.

Here you can build your own camera:
http://www.cebunet.com/kirlian/mkcameras.htm

aintgottaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah, what you said......

Post by aintgottaclue » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:43 am

Librarian wrote:Well, I can tell you that kirlian photography is used in metallurgy to check for metal fatigue.

Librarian....Somehow I don't think this is what you had in mind!!!!!! #-o
http://www.bmezine.com/ritual/group/mfc007.html

Have you seen this....their results were measured by computerized Kirlian photography. http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10 ... alCode=acm
Christians are irrational. I may not be a Christian, but at least I'm rational! (Well, most of the time, anyway.)

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Yeah, what you said......

Post by Librarian » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:22 pm

aintgottaclue wrote:
Librarian wrote:Well, I can tell you that kirlian photography is used in metallurgy to check for metal fatigue.

Librarian....Somehow I don't think this is what you had in mind!!!!!! #-o
http://www.bmezine.com/ritual/group/mfc007.html

Have you seen this....their results were measured by computerized Kirlian photography. http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10 ... alCode=acm
The first link was interesting, but they've been doing that in the Philippines for ages.

The second link I can't get into unless I let them set a cookie. Sorry, but I tossed the cookies long ago except for sites that need them. I am the only one that determines "need".

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:23 am

Librarian....Somehow I don't think this is what you had in mind!!!!!!
http://www.bmezine.com/ritual/group/etc.
Owwwww ! :-?
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

BeigeAllen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BeigeAllen » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:56 pm

The effectiveness of using the photo to read a person depends on the person doing the reading. One person can listen to an engine and just hear it hum, another can listen to an engine and hear every last variance in the tones and know how to improve their sound.
Come visit me at WorldWide Pagan Network
Warning contents may disillusion the irrational!

aintgottaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Person doing it???

Post by aintgottaclue » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:55 am

Hmmm....scientifically speaking, the person doing it wouldn't matter. If it is a valid process, anyone could be "doing it," and get the same result. [-X

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:11 pm

I don't put much faith in those photos, quite simply because there is no way to actually prove the correctnesss of the image. Unless you had a person who could visibly see auras in great detail.

The one thing i have heard about these machines is that never will have the same result on the same person. ie. take a shot of Timmy, then 5 mins later take another and they'll be different. Now technically speaking you could argue that is because ones' aura field is in continual change. However, how can it be scientifically tested, testing using a control that is, when your results can be directed or able to be limited in scope.

Hmm it's got me thinking now, has anyone actually sat down in front of one of these machines and pulled their aura right in/out. I suppose that would signify/prove whether the actual photos were doing what that said they did.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

BeigeAllen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BeigeAllen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:59 pm

Scientifically speaking, all scientists are not on the same level as to performance of their own field of study. So why would you expect all people to be on the same level of proficience. You have the same basic parts as the guy who can hear every tonal variance in the hum of a motor, but do you use them to process information in the same way? If you can listen to your car and know exactly what is wrong with it just by the sound and then be able to fix it, then you at least process the information in a similar enough way to be able to reproduce his results.

Same goes with "reading" kirlian photos. Some people look at them, see each variance of color, and can then apply the meanings those color variations signify as they studied. The ones that see the most variance in the colors of the photo and that paid the most attention to what those colors are supposed to mean will be able to give you a far better interpretation than someone who only sees half the colors in the photo and was more interested in the cleavage of the person teaching them the meanings of all those colors.

The common misconception is that Kirlian photos record auras, they do not. A Kirlian camera measures the "light force" around objects. The "aura" is the energy the body itself is putting out. The energy put off by the body interacts in the form of waves, whirls, flares, etc. It is through the recorded interactions captured in a kirlian photo that allows some people to tell you insightful things about the photographs based on those whirls and spikes of color.

For those that have never seen a Kirlian photo:
This is a photo of a person's thumb after the thumb had been lightly wounded. The red haze near the base of the thumb is the energy the body is exerting in healing the wound. In those with immune deficiencies, there would be a light greyish haze that shows the body's reaction to pain, but a limit or lack of healing.

The reason for the time variations of Kirlian photos is simply the body's energy waves are always changing based on what the body is thinking, doing, and/or feeling at the time. Even body temperature is not a constant, though we accept an average healthy temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

This is the same thumb before the wound was sustained:
Notice there is no red haze of energy.

Now there are similarities between the energies of both photos that can be noted and are very telling. The sharpness of the colors and the shapes of the light tell us that this person was rather excitable during their photographing experience. The uniformity of colors in the second picture, and their continued dominance in the first picture tells us that though excitable this person stays in control of themselves.

We know for a fact that energy still exists living matter for a short term after its demise. We know that posthumously nails and hair still grow for a time on human corpses. Here are two pictures of a lentil sprout. The first, raw, the second, blanched at 140(F) for only 2-3 minutes.
Notice that the raw sprout was exhibiting the greater energy output in spite of the fact that the cooked sprouts picture was photographed while warm. This shows that Kirlian photos are not photographing the heat waves coming off the subject.

Though I do not have my photos, I have done the experiment you suggested of creating different effects with my aura to see if the camera would note the changes. The results showed me that although they did not affect my photos in the same way I was attempting to affect my aura, it did detect major differences with each attemped change. Was this a flaw in the equipment or a flaw in my techniques? The next time I am at a psychic fair or pagan festival in which they have a kirlian booth, I shall endeavor this experiment again and retrieve the digital records of it to share with folks.
Come visit me at WorldWide Pagan Network
Warning contents may disillusion the irrational!

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:52 am

lol Allen damn your informative (slaps a big warning label on Allen "Warning contents my disillusion the irrational.")

I hope that came out right as I was trying to give a compliment.

Good luck with the experiments, post your results. I'm sure many of us will be interested.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.