A HUGE post about Ouija

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.
davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

A HUGE post about Ouija

Post by davisherm » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:31 pm

I've been meaning to post this one for a while now, and just never seem to remember it when I'm here. But here we go, this covers two huge posts that I promised to write:

One on Demon Possession and the other on the need to be careful when using an Ouija Board.

Ouija Boards:

Like most witches I know, I’ve had a few experiences with Ouija boards. Most of them were run of the mill stupidity, playing at parties and sleepovers when I was a young teen. However, I’ve had a small handful of experiences that I will never forget. I personally have two and know of a third that involve spirit possession and could quite possibly frighten the slight hearted. So if you think you might get a little freaked out by what you’re about to read, then stop reading now.

I’ll share my two stories (names changed to protect identities) with you first, and then I’ll tell the third story, which I’m only connected with on the outer edges. So without further ado…

Tommy-
The first memorably bad experience happened right after I started on the path. I was 15 and studying with an older girl who would have been the High Priestess if we’d actually formed a coven. There were actually quite a few of us, but only a select few that really had any skill or inkling that being a witch was not just about casting spells and aura reading. One night, we were staying in an empty apartment, owned by my teacher’s parents. Believe it or not, we were not boozing it up, but just having a good time with movies and soda and pizza. One of the hangers on thought it would be a good idea to break out the Ouija board and invite some spirits to our party. When they couldn’t get it to work, they asked for help. So… five of us who thought we knew what we were doing helped them out. Give us a break, we were young and stupid.

So we were attempting to contact something that claimed to be the spirit of a young man who’d died in the 80’s. His name was Sammy and he was a prankster. Two of us had spoken to him through the board on different occasions and he was a safe spirit. So that’s who we were looking for, when we met “Neil”. Neil claimed to be a dead Druid who’d been killed during the burning times and was forced to watch as his wife was tortured to death in front of him. He claimed that her soul was trapped and laid upon us a quest to release her. While we listened attentively, something was happening that we didn’t suspect. Either this Neil character or something else slipped through the board and managed to affect our friend Tom.

Tom wasn’t what I’d call very gifted at magic at that time and he had yet to create any kind of defenses against the occasional malevolent entity that we all encounter from time to time. This is the only reason I can think of for Tom being the target, although the spirit may have chosen him for reasons of its own. Tom started acting a little strange that very night, but Tom was always a little off anyway, so we didn’t think anything of it at first. But a few days later, he was noticeably not himself. He was angry all the time and would say and do hateful things to his closest friends. Looking back, I can remember when his aura changed from a fairly vibrant and colorful field that would stick out in a crowd to a dull veil of shadowy black.

After about five days of his abnormal behavior, my teacher took him in hand and spent about two days alone with him getting rid of whatever it was that was influencing him. When we next saw Tom, he had a small patch of white hair on the side of his head – if you’ve seen The 6th Sense you know what I’m talking about. I’d seen this sort of hair change in a few people before and my doctor said that occasionally during periods of great stress our hair will lose pigment, tuning grey or white. In some circles, a lock of grey or white hair also denotes a person of immense spiritual energy (my mom has had one since she was 16). I can’t say for certain what was said and done during those two days. I’m sure it was stressful, and it’s possible that it also revealed Tom’s inner abilities and power. What I can say is that after his experience, he was very weak and for a few months he didn’t join in our rites, but when he finally did join in, he was strong and confident and possessed of more ability than he’d had before. One other thing, he never touched an Ouija board again. As far as I know, I’m the only one out of the people that participated in that session that has. And I only did it out of necessity.

And now for the second:

Aaron Wagner

It was the summer of 1998. I was 19 and working in the deli department of a local grocery chain. I’d been solitary for about a year, as my teacher and many of the others that had made up our circle had gone to the four winds. There were a few people that I was acquainted with that had some ability, but we didn’t practice together. I was dating a girl who, while the gift is in her blood, has never exhibited any magical ability.

It was late may and my friend Sarah was having her birthday party. I had to work that day though, so I wasn’t able to attend. Around 5:00 pm that evening I started feeling ill. I had a terrible headache and I was very nauseous. I decided to go home early. I had no sooner walked in the front door of my parents’ house when my phone rang. It was my friend Tony. He told me that I had to come over to Sarah’s. They were playing with an Ouija board and they’d contacted me from a past life.

Yeah. Me from a past life. I ran this over a few times in my head and no matter how I figured it, there’s no way they could do that, as my soul is currently in my body, not wandering the ether. I was about to tell him to stuff it and stop trying to be funny when he said that my past self was messing with my now ex girlfriend and she was scared. I told him I’d be there as soon as I could and jumped back in my truck for the drive over. As I got closer and closer to Sarah’s my headache got worse and I felt like I was going to throw up any second.

--Now, before I continue with my actions I’ll tell you what they’d been doing. It was a bunch of girls and Tony at the party and somebody had the bright idea to bring the board. They started playing with it, asking silly questions and generally being very foolish. Most likely, one of the girls was exerting more force over the board than the others there, and handling the answers, as most sessions end up going. But according to Tony, something suddenly took control. They asked who it was and it said that it was a violinist named Aaron Wagner and had been dead since the 1860’s but now lived again in the form of someone they knew… Me.

My ex girlfriend didn’t believe a word of it and started asking questions that only I would know the answer to. It answered them all. She started to get a little freaked out. Especially when it told her that she was the reincarnation of Evelyn Wager, Aaron’s wife and that they had been separated by bad blood before they died. She pulled her hands away and then was literally hurled up against a wall, where she put her hands to her throat as if something was choking her.—

I pulled up in front of Sarah’s house only a few minutes after I got off the phone with Tony. Waves of nausea assaulted me and I had a very hard time getting across the street and up the front steps. Sarah’s a very trusting person and so her door is always unlocked. I didn’t even bother knocking, I just let myself in and upon seeing nobody in the living room and dining room, made for her bedroom, which was at the back of the house.

Something about the place felt all wrong. I’d never experienced anything like it before. The air was heavy and oppressive and smelled like ozone and decay. The walls seemed like they were closing in and the ceiling felt like it was going to fall down on me at any second. Sarah’s room has white painted walls and a very large frosted glass light fixture on the white ceiling. Normally her bedroom is a very bright place. Despite being well lit, her room was dark, as if something were keeping the light out. My ex girlfriend was up against the wall, turning blue and holding her hands at her throat.

I don’t recall actually doing anything. And to this day, I don’t know if I could intentionally repeat whatever steps I took to clear my head, but as I crossed over the threshold into the bedroom, the darkness pushed away from me, like I had a bubble of light around me and was filling the room with it. My ex’s hands dropped to her side and she took a deep, gasping breath and slid down to sit on the floor. I walked to the board, which was still active, even though nobody was touching it anymore. I grabbed the indicator and forced it to ‘goodbye’ and then flipped the board upside-down. At that instant I heard two noises that did not come from anything physically in the house. I distinctly heard a mirror breaking. It wasn’t the sound of a window or a drinking glass. For whatever reason, I knew for certain that it was a mirror, shattering into a thousand pieces. At the same instant, I heard a terrible scream of “NO!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Whatever it was that screamed, I can guarantee that it wasn’t a human voice. I don’t know what it was, and I have never encountered anything like that again. My ex was ok after a few minutes, but remained very shaken. To this day, she won’t talk about the party or what happened there. In fact, of all the others that were there, only Tony and a girl named Cindy can actually recall anything unusual. Tony has total recall and Cindy remembers that my ex was talking to ‘me’ from a past life. That’s it. None of the others remember anything.

That’s the end of my personal experiences with Ouija Boards, the story that follows is one that I got firsthand from the parties involved. Some of it is a little hard to believe, but it’s what I’ve been told and I’ve seen some of it with my own eyes. Take it or leave it, it’s still an interesting story.

Mark and the Demon:

Back in 2002 I moved in with a friend who had been ditched by his wife and needed some help making the bills. As it happened, he was a Non-practicing Magus, and a former member of a local coven. Until I moved in and really got to know him, I’d had no idea that there were enough serious witches to form a coven, let alone that people I’d been hanging out with for years had any magical ability. I guess that’s the price some of us pay for the need to remain free from Fundamentalist Christian persecution. (Not that all Christians are bad people, just the ones in my town.)

Anyway, one day I finally got around to asking Mark why he doesn’t practice anymore. His answer was twofold: His standby answer was always that he’d been raised Roman Catholic and that by practicing magic, he was committing a terrible sin against God. That’s a fine and good answer. But I knew there was more. One night, after he’d drunk himself into a stupor, Mark started acting very differently. At first, I thought it was the beer talking, but he’d turned from a pretty affable guy into a raging jerk. Now, alcohol brings out the true nature of most people, so I figured that my friend was just a big jerk. But our mutual friend Joe told me that it went deeper than that. I was seeing Sparky, one of Mark’s three known personalities. I laughed at him, but then he explained.

When Mark was 17 years old, he did a lot of drinking. And one night, while drunk, decided to contact Jimmy Morrison through an Ouija board. Alone. Not the brightest of ideas, granted. But Mark was (and remains) a fairly powerful Magus and figured he could handle it. What he contacted was not James Morrison. It entered his mind and took over. He changed overnight. His body language was different, his speech patterns were different, and the occasional snarl would escape his lips. He avoided his friends and sought out people that he normally avoided. When one of his friends would track him down and try to talk to him, he would say hateful things to them and become physically violent.

His friends and coven members took notice of the change in him and then his teacher, a Shaman named Lonny took him aside and asked him what sort of magic he’d been practicing lately and if he’d done anything unusual. When Mark asked him why, Lonny took him up into his attic, where he had a mirror that he’d enchanted with some type of charm that he hasn’t seen fit to share with me.

He had Mark look in the mirror and Mark saw his face, only it was distorted and dark. Lonny then asked him again, if he’d done anything unusual. That’s when it came out that he’d been using an Ouija board alone. Knowing this, Lonny explained the way Mark had been acting, and now that Mark had seen the distorted face in the mirror, he suddenly remembered all the horrible things he’d done and said. Lonny gave Mark instruction in how to throw out the entity that had taken up residence inside him.

But Mark didn’t want to get rid of him. To him, the spirit inside him was a demon and according to the Catholic faith, demons are cursed to an eternity spent in Hell. He figured that it was only looking to escape and ended up feeling sorry for it. Instead of banishing it, he created a cage for it and locked it away inside himself. Inadvertently, he also created a new personality, named Sparky.

This personality acted as a buffer between Demon and Mark and it takes a lot of control to keep Demon under lock and key. Which is why when he’s drunk, Sparky shows up. If Mark continues to drink as Sparky, he begins losing control and slowly transforms into Demon. From an academic viewpoint, it’s an interesting transformation. However, watching it happen is a little hair-raising. I’ll be talking with Mark over a beer, and he’ll switch mid-sentence and change topics completely.

As Sparky, he’s more self confident and very cocky. He’s a complete misogamist, trashing our friends of the female persuasion and ranting about rampant feminism. His mannerisms and body language change from a flamboyant drunk with many soaring hand gestures to an uptight opinionated woman-hater, complete with short, sharp finger jabs. Interestingly enough, he also hates Mark with a passion. He refers to him as ‘the boy’ and often does things specifically to cause emotional pain, but never physical, as he knows they share the same body. Sparky usually remains in control for a number of hours, until Mark falls asleep, or he runs out of beer and starts to sober up.

On those occasions that Sparky is unable to maintain control, the transformation is quite frightening. Sparky’s movements will become slower and exaggerated and his speech will become slurred, just like a normal drunk, except as Mark, he already went through this phase a few hours before. Just when you think he’s about to pass out on the floor, he’ll suddenly pull himself upright and stand up, kind of hunched over with his arms thrust slightly forward at an odd angle. (It’s usually at this point that his cats growl at him and run away all puffed out.) His face changes, as well. He gets a strange gleam in his eye and a very evil grin stretches across his lips. His eyebrows furrow up and point down in a very pronounced frown. It’s almost like he’s wearing a mask, the change is so complete.

His voice gets much deeper and has a dual tone quality to it that’s quite disturbing the first time you hear it. About every 30 seconds or so he’ll snarl, a low, guttural sound that sets my hair on end. He doesn’t walk right at this point, either. He stalks. It’s almost like watching an animal on the hunt, and makes me wonder what or who he’s hunting. As far as we know, he’s never hurt anybody, but he did go after our friend Jim, who’s MUCH bigger than he is, and actually lifted him up off the ground, something Mark couldn’t possibly do. He’s a 98 pound weakling. Jim hollered at him to knock it off and after a moment of Mark looking very confused, Sparky was back. There are a few of us who can snap him out of it when he gets like that, and he’ll respond to us fairly easily. I’ve never feared that he was going to hurt me, but I couldn’t vouch for the safety of guests. This is probably one of the reasons that he doesn’t leave the house that often. If he ever lost control in public, it could be a very big problem.

Of course, while I believe that there truly are three personalities existing in Mark. I’m not sure I believe that number three is an actual demon. It’s very possible that he’s just suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder, once known as Multiple Personality Disorder. He fits the profile perfectly and the first appearance of the Demon personality happened around the age that DID generally emerges. Either way, it happens when he drinks and knowing this, he still drinks. As a reformed smoker, I know all too well how hard it is to kick an addiction. But when it’s part of something as dangerous as this, well… I think that having a demon inside me would make for one heck of a great incentive.

Anyway, those are my experiences with Ouija Boards and, I think, three sound reasons to be extremely careful when using one. If you know what you’re doing, I suppose they can make for a decent tool for divination. However, to the unschooled, or to those who treat them as a game, opening yourself up to the spirit world can be a dangerous thing, and I advise against doing it lightly.

Blessed Be.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:58 pm

This is creepy....although I've never gotten a ouija board to work (then again I've only tried it once when I was about 10). I figured that it was lame cause it did not work and never looked at it again.
Yet, I've had some strange experiences in my day that most people would not believe. For one there is something creepy in my apartment that I've never been able to get rid of regardless of what method I use.
Reading your post makes me think that maybe I need to try harder to get rid of whatever that is here. It is not just me who feels this oppressive anger here....I will not even tell people and I'll have house guests remark on it :oops: with startling consensus. My mom thinks that someone hung themselves here, another friend thinks that someone got raped to death, and I pick up murder of some sort.....and it is always a female energy that is jealous and angry that I am here. Oh well, not to undercut your stories so ill stop.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:33 pm

If people were interested, we could start a different post, about the creepy things that we've seen or done.

I know I've got enough to fill a few pages. And I know that some other people here have had to handle a few things that weren't exactly fun either.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Nasty Ouja occurences

Post by Kystar » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:33 pm

There is only two Ouja stories that jump at me. One, I witnessed personally, one I was talking to the friend on the phone.

One: It was at my sister's 16th bday party, and she had a lot of friends over. as teenagers do, they brought out the Ouja board.

Now, I don't "see"...nope, nada, nothing. I don't see spirits, I don't see auras, I don't see entities...unless they're REALLY strong. I'm a radar, I'm a sounding board. the only thing I can see is my spirit guide, my black and gray owl. Everything else, I hear or feel.

But this night, when I was 12-13, I saw...shadows, mainly, but something. One of my sister's friends didn't believe in ghosts and spirits, and started challenging the spirit in the Ouja board to possess him. That's when the shadows wrapped around the room and the board started floating. Luckily, Lluna, an older friend of mine who "sees", was there, and she managed to flip the board over after knocking away the indicator. She saw more there than I did...but it was enough to scare me.

two: Years later, I had a friend who was into native american shamanism. She was convinced she was a Medicine Woman reincarnated, because someone on the Ouja board had told her that. She had a habit of practicing alone with the board. I happened to call her because I got a bad feeling, and found out that she was on the board with no one home but her cat. As soon as she answered the phone, the board started going crazy and a dark cloud settled over her house. I convinced her to yank the indicator to 'goodbye' and flip the board over. Then I took her to task for being so ditzy as to use a board with no one around but a cat.

I have only used them a few times since then, usually when I have a large group of friends together and there's somethign around that we can't communicate w/any other way, and can't get rid of.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kobak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobak » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:25 pm

In some circles, a lock of grey or white hair also denotes a person of immense spiritual energy (my mom has had one since she was 16).
a skin condition gave me two shocks of grey hair at the age of 8. neat =P

and i've only one story in the "spookies" realm, but it has nothing to do with a Ouija board, so maybe some other time.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:35 pm

Wow, those were some amazing (and creepy) stories, thanks for sharing!
"Love like you've never been hurt."

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:49 pm

No problem. Due to the nature of some of the spiritual work I've done, I've got a few more stories. I think I've shared the major ones in previous threads, but over the next few days, I'll start working on a "Creepy Stuff" thread and post a few of my experiences.

Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1

davisherm IDEA For other creepy thing

Post by Somber Sky » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:04 pm

Why dont we post Supernatural thin's that happend in our lives do to the opening of our minds due to Wicca? I have a few things I like to share.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:45 am

Yikes Davish, yet more reasons for me to stay away from the Ouija Board - I saw a lot of scarey things happen with it when I was a kid and my parents and older sister and their friends used to have "Ouija Night". I just really think it isn't something that you want to mess with.
Unlike fire, one should always play with fire :badgrin:

Stormy
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:37 pm

We should always set aside a little time to play with fire. Even if it's just flicking your bic a few times a day. ;)

As for posting our Supernatural encounters, I've been working on a bit of a mega post, detailing some of my encounters, and those of my friends and some people I've had dealings with in the past.

If somebody else would care to start it, I wouldn't object. I'll just add my stuff to it.

VoudunLady25
Level 2
Level 2

Post by VoudunLady25 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:54 pm

I think in all these scenarios, the participants forgot to one of the most important things: PROTECT YOURSELF!

Seriously guys..and I know this from my Afro-Caribbean background..Not all spirits that wander around are good. Some are just confused, some are peaceful and some are just malevolent. Playing with a Ouija board blindly is like opening your door blindly to any Tom, Dick or Harry who rings your doorbell without checking to see who it is.

I know some of you were young and stupid, but still. I suggest before dabbling with Ouija boards, to envision the white light of the divine surrounding you. Place a circle of protection around the participants and the Ouija board so no one who wishes to do harm may enter.

Gosh, you guys have given me the CREEPS. Protection, protection PROTECTION!

</end lecture>
Religion is like going to McDonald's. Why should I be enemies with you because you choose to walk and I choose to drive?

"Behind every great tyrant is God.."

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:10 pm

ok so im a noob still i know lol

What does a Oaji board do exactly? Work as a door or portal for the spiritual to make physical manifest? Or simply focus said energy into something most humans can feel?
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:28 am

You're right, VL (can I call you VL? So much easier!)

I dabbled when I was a small child, but left it at about age 9, after my best friend's dad killed himself and we "contacted" him. I knew the ouija was not good. However, my sister still played, for years, no matter my attempts to stop her, which is one of the reasons we had so many dark things in our house. Now I am older, and we have wards, although we have always had spirits coming in and out (something to do with leylines, methinks) but now only good ones can come in and leave after. "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here!" (none have asked for help.)

Seriously, I am against ouija. Bad bad BAD! When you play, you open a door, and everyone, no matter what the protection, sees it. "Oh look! A door! LIGHT! RUN TO IT!!!!" Leads to possession, haunting, overall badness. There are safer, easier ways to get your spiritual rocks off than messing around and offending the spirit world with ouijas.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

VoudunLady25
Level 2
Level 2

Post by VoudunLady25 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:12 pm

Yep, yep. I saw a Ouija Board in Zellers once. It was very interesting..

And you can call me VL.. I can't even spell my own name sometimes..
Religion is like going to McDonald's. Why should I be enemies with you because you choose to walk and I choose to drive?

"Behind every great tyrant is God.."

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Wow, creepy. Are all Ouija boards bad? Because the one I made doesn't feel bad to me. It took me 3 weeks to make it and the back is filled with prayers and I'm always over cautious with protection. So far it has been really helpful with the ghost guy in the bath room. So are they all bad or is it just the person using it being irresponsible?
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me