Shamanic Journeys & Drumming

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

Do you use drumming, rattling or music for journeying?

Yes, I use drumming that is recorded.
No votes
Yes, I use drumming that I play myself.
18%
Yes, I use drumming that is played by someone else with me.
9%
Yes I use rattling or other sounds I play myself.
No votes
Yes I use rattling or other sounds that are recorded or played by others with me.
9%
Yes I use recorded music.
55%
No, I don't use anything other than my imagination to journey.
9%
Other.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Stormy

Shamanic Journeys & Drumming

Post by Stormy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:10 am

Well, as Firelord also noted, it's been a little on the quiet side around here. Probably because everyone is rushing around for Yule, but, none the less, I'm going to try to get a few conversations going ;)

This one is for all of you who engage in Shamanic practice or who are studying it. The question is - do you use drumming (or other sounds) during your journeying or not? If you do use it, is it taped, played by someone else or played by yourself? How important do you think that rhythmic sound of some kind is to the journey processes?

Personally, I have found that I can easily take a short journey without the aid of drumming or music, but I have found that a good session of rattling before hand helps me get into the right frame of mind and bring closer contact with my animal guide. I haven't tried drumming yet, but Ken is buying me a hand drum for Yule so I will definitely be experimenting with that - and likely driving him to distraction :-D

Stormy
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Firelord

Post by Firelord » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:20 am

*nods*

I will be here ever so often to bump the proverbial pinball machine known as the online world. It has been quiet and will be quiet for a little while longer, I suppose.

Anyhow, on the note of music I like to play celtic and irish music in the background during meditations or journeys. I think it helps center your mind and keep it from moving back to the busy life we all live. It can be a hectic, troubled world and when you try to move your mind away it can be incredibly difficult.

socialgreen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by socialgreen » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:18 pm

I use no music. I use to but the cassette player quit working. I do pretty well with the pathworking and visualizations. I never thought I would get to this point. If and when I get another cassette player I would like to see if drumming would enhance my journeys.
social
If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

whitegravity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whitegravity » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:52 am

I'm a big fan of solo drumming and large drumming circles, and the awesome experience I experience (ooh redundancy). I tend to carry my doumbek (aka dumbek, doumbec, and hundreds of other spellings) with me, wherever I go. However, in the drumming circles I won't drink; I feel that the induced "trance" isn't quite right, so I settle for that I experience with drumming with others. Another plus, I've found, is the healthy properties of reducing stress, and socially by communicating with others. Well, that's just me; thanks for the topic.

-White
BB
"...The world around us, turns;
a continuous and constant motion.
Much like that of a hand upon a cradle,
and just as lovingly..."-Siblingmune, a teacher/poet

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Though I don't do it often, I've found that music that has powerful personal meanings help me wander off into spirit realms.

I rarely make my own music for this...since I'm not that good at drumming and it's really hard to meditate/Journey while playing the Violin! :lol:

I tend to use intrumentals, but sometimes I'll use a song with vocals, so long as I don't focus on the words too much.

My 2 copper are now offically in the pot on this one! :-)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

whitegravity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whitegravity » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:00 pm

:-({|= If it works for you, congratulations, you've amazed even me :D. I found some websites that teach meditations have a great lessons for any beliefs and offers beautiful and uplifting mp3's...link

http://www.how-to-meditate.org

http://www.how-to-meditate.org

The mp3's have a recorded female's voice, too; a guide, if you will.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:29 am

Would you believe that I've gone on a meditational journey with some songs from the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack? (It was in a randomize tape I had made for writing dark stories)

Granted, I wandered in some DARK places in my soul and the planes, but it was kinda surprising that the lyrics didn't call me back becuase I love the music so much. :love4:

As for the Violin, I'm just learning to play, and have to set up lessons soon...but I've been trying. Maybe someday I'll record my playing so I can use it for journey and meditation! :-({|=

whitegravity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whitegravity » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:03 pm

Phantom of the Opera, huh, I think I might look into that myself. Well good luck with the practice, you sparked my imagination about recording one's self, so I'll give that a shot myself. I'm always trying new things and I would be interested in listening and possibly utilizing your sounds of violin with your consent, of course. Let me know how that goes, good luck and best wishes.

BB

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

drummin'...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun May 01, 2005 8:43 am

I play kalimba -- which is a soft-voiced melodic rhythm instrument made from a gourd with a metal "keyboard" -- It's African in origin and is sometimes called an Imbira, or a thumb-piano. It's an excellent shamanic tool for journeying especially outdoors by a river or the sea in Summer. I often just play along with the music of Nature and dream...

Once in the deep forest up on the North Umpqua River in Oregon, I started playing by the river and the sound captured the attention of the most beautiful (green & gold) dragonflies I'd ever met. They joined me, and with their inimitable curiousity danced and communicated with me for the entire day. A friend whom I was camping with happened upon the scene of me dancing with and playing to them and gave me my name: dragonflydrummer... :glasses7:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun May 01, 2005 8:57 am

That is SO COOL - I love dragonflies and I have had similar experiences with them - though not while playing music. Usually they simply come up to me and hover around, looking me right in the eye and following me.

Stormy

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

dragonflies...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun May 01, 2005 2:33 pm

I am always amazed at how intelligent they are, Stormy... and how otherworldly. They do seem to get attracted to the sound or vibration of the kalimba. What color dragonflies have you got there in PA? :alien:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun May 01, 2005 3:51 pm

Well, we've got those powdery blue butt ones and some really big metallic green bum ones, plus the one's with black wings that "flit" rather than hover. And every now and then I see these one's with fat red bums.
Yes, all very scientific explainations LOL.

Stormy

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun May 01, 2005 7:02 pm

I saw a really big Blue one flittering through the water rides at Kennywood Park last summer. I swear the silly thing was almost 5 inches long!

(Kennywood is an amusement park near Pittsburgh that I grew up near)

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

"She blinded me with "Science"...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 pm

I've never seen ones with black wings that "flit"... they sound cool. The larger ones do seem more -- well, intelligent in a way that is almost understandable to us. They say there were prehistoric ones that were BIG -- well like three times the size of the ones today. It's funny -- some creatures like sharks and dragonflies don't seem to have changed much over the millions of years...

They and hummingbirds seem to have that hovering thing down pat...

I wonder what the world looks like with those helicopter bubble-eyes? :happy2:

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun May 01, 2005 8:32 pm

The "flitty" ones are really interesting - very tame and slow compaired to the hovering ones. I looked them up and found out they are called damselflies - here are links to some pics...
One
Two

Stormy