Where did I put that Grimoire?
Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Shamanism

Post by Rowan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi,

I know through the search engine that a number of members on here are shamans, so I'm hoping one of you can help me.

I'm looking for a basic reference book to use for the story I am writing, but also to use in learning to become a shaman.

Thanks,

Rowan
I have lost my way.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Shamanism

Post by Kitsune » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:23 pm

May just be because I'm tired, but what skill sets are you looking for?

I've noticed that many people will use the same word but mean entirely different things... At least for me, if you would clarify just a bit I might be able to put down some experiences for you. :-)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 am

Hi there! I can give some fantastic resources for your project. As for "becoming a Shaman," it's not really a choice.

Alberto Villoldo's books are great (Dance of the Four Winds and Island of the Sun are great. Books with more "instruction" are Shama, Healer, Sage; Courageous Dreaming; Mending The Past & Healing The Future With Soul Retrieval).

Kristin Madden has some great books, too. I recommend The Book of Shamanic Healing and Shamanic Guide to Death and Dying. That last one helped me quite a bit during Hospice.

Internet resources include Apu Kuntur (http://www.kondor.de).

On the anthropologic study of Shamanism, try The Strong Eye of Shamanism by Robert E. Ryan.

Medicine Woman by Lynn V. Andrews is a great read and very inspiring. It's also a fantastic book for hinting at the dangers of Shamanism to initiates.

Ted Andrews teaches aspects of Shamanism in most of his books, though he rarely gives reference to it.

This all being said, it is important to give respect to the world of Shamanism. It is a dangerous study. It was said that a true Shaman would never call themselves a Shaman. There are a few reasons for this. 1) The respect they had of the word and 2) There are many frauds out there, and while the frauds flaunted their "powers," true Shamans remained meek and did not flaunt the spirit world, knowing instead the power of the universe to bring those who are in need to them.

Again, there are many dangers to studying Shamanism. I've seen people worthy of the psych ward because they were opening doors: ripped "veils," possession, life chaos. It is always best to start learning from a protective source. Guides, angels, gods, whatever you work with. Shamanism is, in essence, speaking with the spirit realm, and then the ability to walk the Otherworlds. From there, there are things you can do (soul retrieval, healing, shapeshifting, etc) that Shamans are known for. If you are seriously studying, seek first to know your allies, and create a strong relationship with them. They will protect and teach you, and let you know what you should and should not do, and they provide a landmark so that you know when you are in the presence of something good, or in the presence of something that may end up in possession.

Hope that helps.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks CHL, I was thinking the same thing but I didn't know how to say it.

That being said i would also be careful of appropriation, many aspects of Aboriginal religions are secret and they want it that way, be sure to respect the boundaries of other faiths and belief systems.

I say this because certain First Nations traditions *ahem* *sweatlodge* *ahem* have been used with both physically and emotionally damaging consequences by people who claim to know what they are doing (remember the people who died down in California I think it was).

Approach your studies with humility and care and you should be OK, but be careful of seeking to be a shaman, I think Ragnar has some good warning stories about that.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:09 am

Try http://wicca.com/celtic/wyldkat/shmnindex.htm
=]

Lots of helpful things there.
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rowan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Thank you Crazy Healer Lady. I thought about PMing you about this, but I wasn't sure I should. :oops:

I have the utmost respect for all matters spiritual. I just have an inexplicable draw to shamanism, but my main need for information right now is for my book.

Thank you again for the information.
I have lost my way.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:36 am

Anyone, at anytime, can PM me. I'm also available by email, msn, etc. :-)

I felt the same way. Despite all warnings, despite all humility, I felt this pull to Shamanism. I guess it is with all things, seek and you shall find. There are many who would call me a poor source for information, because I'm not very traditional, in any area of life. I have met some very powerful people that I would certainly call Shamans, and I will tell you that I am nearly where they are in their terms. (Others just make me laugh because they make things far more dramatic than they need to be!) I can say for my favour, though, that I am always searching for truth and try to convey my understanding of it as best I can.

Cool site, Hytegia. I remember this one!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rowan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks for your help Crazy Healer Lady. It is most appreciated.
I have lost my way.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:03 pm

No problem!
Crazy Healer Lady