A Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrarr

Where did I put that Grimoire?
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

A Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrarr

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:12 pm

I had this book growing up (or rather, my sister did, and I would sneak into her room to read it when she was gone). When she outgrew her Wiccan "stage" the book was sold to her friend, and she took my book of shadows and other books as well so that I wouldn't be involved with it. Almost fourteen years later, I bought it for myself after finding it in my local bookstore, and have spent the last few months flipping through, reading sections as they come to me.

This is one of the best books on "Traditional" Wicca I have ever come across. Though not Wiccan myself, Janet and Stewart come from an area where my ancestors roamed (Ireland), and as such enjoy reading what they were like. The Farrarrs are frank, well-studied, and well-referenced as they go through what was and probably was practiced by the ancients, what are new developments, and where these practices hold today in the modern and ancient Craft. They also include practices by their own coven, as well as many inclusions of the oldest Book of Shadows currently known (by myself, at least) to be accurate (re-writen and written by Gardner).

According to one Amazon.com review:
"A Witches Bible" contains, in one volume, Janet and Stewart Farrar's two books, "Eight Sabbats for Witches" and "The Witches' Way." These two books are classics in the genre of New Age literature and a necessary addition to the library of every Wiccan and Pagan. Together, these two books provide the best published manual on Wiccan practice ever printed.

The first section describes the meanings, history and ceremonies of the Wiccan holidays. The eight Sabbats are described in detail just as they are practiced by the Farrar's coven. To the fragmentary rituals of Gerald Gardner's "Book of Shadows," the Farrar's have added their own material. Based on extensive research and practice, the result is a rich and powerful tradition rooted in the most ancient of lore.</P>

The second section deals with the rest of "The Book of Shadows." The Farrar's detail the initiation rituals, lunar rites and magickal workings which form the core of Witchcraft. Included is extensive material on divination, astral projection and healing. This book also gives important advice on working with others and on running a coven responsibly.

The Farrar's have provided an informative work that is more than just a how-to. They have captured the spirit of "The Old Religion" and it's relevance in helping people to live in better harmony with nature and themselves. This classic helped to establish modern Witchcraft as a religion that focuses on the values of personal growth, sexual equality and love of Nature.Link Here
If only for the history, this is a fantastic book. If you have access to it, I highly recommend it.

Happy reading!!

-CHL
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Re: A Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrarr

Post by Hytegia » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 pm

A must buy.
Trust me on this! ^^
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Clettko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clettko » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Thank you CHL for recommending A Witches Bible. Just purchased it and found it to be very help (being a "Newbie") I have so much to learn and have found this book to be very informative. Thanks. Please, if you have any other reading that would help,let me know. Again, thank you.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Check out the Book Club forum. There are heaps of titles listed throughout the posts in there that are great reading :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Clettko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clettko » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks, I will be sure to check it out. flyaway: