Apples galore

So, what's for dinner?
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Apples galore

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:58 am

I went apple picking with some friends this weekend. The orchard we set up so that you would hop on a tractor, go out pick your apples then it would bring you back to your car where you could hop on another tractor to an orchard with a different type of apples. My friend had the brilliant idea that we would drop the apples off in the car between each orchard. Well, me having the memory span of a footstool, I didn't realize how many apples I had picked (even the cost didn't give me warning because they were so cheap), I was watching my friends kids while he paid.

Anyway, I got home, and I now have about 5 bushels of apples. I have thus far made apple bread, apple crisp, pancakes and apple jelly (which was way too much work). I wanted to make an apple jam, but for some reason (I think over cooked, I couldn't really tell if I had hit the jelling point yet) it turned into caramel sauce and , well, I can't really describe what happened to the apples, they puffed up like little balloons.

So, I would like an apple jam recipe if anyone has one and any other recipes you can think of. I have no freezer space so I have to be able to can it. I will make a pie for this weekend but I need some more options. I am making muffins tonight and I am going to try and make a canned compote while I am at it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Apples galore

Post by Kystar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:14 am

Is it possible to can Apple Pie Filling for later quick baking? Would be a wonderful use of a few loads, and also a time saver for you later!

Applesauce doesn't really can well, I don't think....but dunno.

Have you tried http://www.foodnetwork.com or http://www.cooks.com for recipes? Those are the websites I go to when I have to figure out what to do with an over-abundance of something.

Good luck, hope the sites help!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:45 am

Mmmm my mom used to can the BEST apple sauce... With cinnamon, a bit of nutmeg, it was a dessert on its own :)

If you have the hard winter apples, they should be OK to can on their own. Otherwise, keep them somewhere cool, and they should stay good for a long while. Maybe invest in a dehydrator. I'm borrowing my friend's Excaliber from the 70's, and it still is better than any I have ever used (can't wait to get a new one of my own!), so you may want to invest the extra $50-$100 for one of these rather than a $30-$50 American Harvest. Then you can preserve all your overabundances with very little space :)

I'm on a dehydrating kick, though. With making wedding food, and dehydrating food for the honeymoon, this little senior (the Excaliber, I mean) has been busy busy!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 am

I love dried apples but I generally have mennonites to do that sort of thing for me :D.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:11 am

I must assume, then, that my grandmother on my dad's side either didn't LIKE canning applesauce, or she didn't know how to do it right. She's the one who told me applesauce was better just made in batches small enough to eat fresh.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!