Level 86

More Soups!

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:03 am

Pasta E Fagouli (Pasta with Beans)

2 Tbs Olive oil
1 Large Onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp dried thyme, dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley (or to taste)
2 bay leaves
1-2 cans kidney or navy beans
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 28 oz. Can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 package chopped frozen spinach (optional)
Pinch crushed chillies (optional)

Directions:
(1) Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and sweat for 4 minutes until tender
(2) Add the spices/herbs and stir to coat the vegetables
(3) Add the beans, stock, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese (if using) and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes if using canned beans or two hours if using dried.
(4) Remove from heat, stir int he spinach if using and adjust salt and pepper
(5) Remove Bay leaves and ladle over pasta (I I like to use whole wheat penne). You can also put Parmesan on the soup at this stage.

Leek and White Bean

2 Tbs Olive Oil
4 leeks washed and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Fresh or dried thyme (at least 2 tbs)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tsp rosemary
1-2 Cans white kidney beans
8 cups vegetable stock
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 Tbs sweet vinegar (balsamic or apple cider)
1 lb peeled shimp (optional)

Directions:
(1) Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery and garlic and sweat for 4 minutes until tender
(2) Add the herbs/spices and stir to caot the vegetables
(3) Add the beans, stock, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat , partially cover and simmer until beans are tender
(4) If using, add the shrimp and simmer for 3 minutes until the shrimp are pink
(5) Remove from heat, stir in the vinegar and adjust hte salt if necessary
(6) To serve, remove tthe Bay leaves and ladle into bowls

Yam and Peanut Soup
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbs butter or oil
2 medium onions, diced
1-2 fresh chillies, minced (I used one jalapeno and found it just spicey enugh
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 diced tomatoes
2 precooked and mashed yams
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup lime juice (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
(1) In a large pot, bring stock to a boil, reduce heat to medium low.
(2) In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat and saute onions, garlic and chillies until soft. Add tomatoes and cook for five minutes. (3) Add tomato mixture, yams, cumin, cinnamon and cloves to stock stir in peanut butter and lime juice if using and simmer for 20 minutes
(4) Season with salt and pepper
(5) If desried, remove the cinnamon stick and blend until smooth using a hand or immersion blender.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: More Soups!

Post by white_harmony » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Thank you thank you! I am always looking for soup recipes .. I love to cook them in the winter time especially. I'll be adding those to my list of things to try out this winter!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:35 am

My family eats the frist one (pasta efagouli) at least once every two weeks. These are just my favourites.

i love soup and sometimes I htink I make wayyyy too much of it!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:49 am

Yum! I'm huge soup fan. It took a loooooong while to find a raw one I like, though. My SO isn't a soup person, so I make it chunky and say it's stew ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:50 am

Do you like cold soup at all? I have a few interesting cold soup recipes that I think might be raw.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Does anybody know how to make a thin pepper beef stew? Or a thin chicken soup broth?

Personally, I like soups, but I have no idea how to make them from scratch or even from a base... :oops:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:31 pm

I know how to make a chicken stock that you freeze...but it's not exactly nice to make.

The Stock is made by boiling leftover skin, meat, bones and some veggies in a whole ton of water. Since I tend to forget what I did on my own a week ago, I tend to use Alton Brown as my recipe base...Good Eats is a fantastic basic cooking show. Here's the recipe from the website for just basic Chicken stock.

You can freeze it in plastic bags (I usually would put them in a cup container and fill them that way...so I don't have the clean the cup, but I know how much is in the bag), and use them over the course of a few months.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good EatsEpisode: True Brew IV: Take Stock

Ingredients

* 4 pounds chicken carcasses, including necks and backs
* 1 large onion, quartered
* 4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2
* 4 ribs celery, cut in 1/2
* 1 leek, white part only, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
* 10 sprigs fresh thyme
* 10 sprigs fresh parsley with stems
* 2 bay leaves
* 8 to 10 peppercorns
* 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
* 2 gallons cold water

Directions

Place chicken, vegetables, and herbs and spices in 12-quart stockpot. Set opened steamer basket directly on ingredients in pot and pour over water. Cook on high heat until you begin to see bubbles break through the surface of the liquid. Turn heat down to medium low so that stock maintains low, gentle simmer. Skim the scum from the stock with a spoon or fine mesh strainer every 10 to 15 minutes for the first hour of cooking and twice each hour for the next 2 hours. Add hot water as needed to keep bones and vegetables submerged. Simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 hours.

Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large stockpot or heatproof container discarding the solids. Cool immediately in large cooler of ice or a sink full of ice water to below 40 degrees. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove solidified fat from surface of liquid and store in container with lid in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or in freezer for up to 3 months. Prior to use, bring to boil for 2 minutes. Use as a base for soups and sauces.
Here's the link for his chicken soup recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 pm

To make broth in traditional soup, I just boil about 3L water with 2c carrots, 1c celery, and if Chris isn't eating it, about 2 onions for a few hours, lid off, with a tsp celtic sea salt. Veggie broth! :D Add a tbsp tamari at the end to make it taste "beefy." You could also use nama shoyu or soy sauce, but I like wheat-free tamari.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 am

Crazy, Grimwell wants to trade spouses for a week or so. :-D

He said that the ability to eat onions with somebody, instead of with me (who complains about them), would be sweet!

:lol:

Hmm, I never considered a fine mesh strainer before... We have a very small "personal" crock pot, it'll hold about a liter and a half of fluid in it. I'd love to have a few recipes that I could set to simmer for the day, when I'm sitting at home, and have a brilliant dinner 8 hours later...

Actually, I think I'll just take a look online today, and see if I can find a good pepper beef stew and make it for Grimwell tomorrow... I'll let you all know if I come up with something good!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Well Chris is allergic, so if I even come home after eating onions and he can smell it, he can't kiss me. Onions are strictly banned from our house. The weird thing is, now that I've not cooked with them for over two years, I'm happy that my clothes don't have an odour after I cook (or uncook) and I'm noticing my stomach gets disgruntled if I eat the very powerful ones. Very strange!
Crazy Healer Lady

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 am

Ouch, that sucks.

Well, we'll keep that in mind next time we see you guys.

I have found a very basic beef stew online, so I'll be getting the ingredients later today, and starting the slow roast. What I'm really hoping for, is something I can spend an hour on and get 2-3 meals out of (I love the idea of "Eternal soup" since we're not actually worried about having enough). If I can find a good one before next November, it'll be our staple for Nanowrimo!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:36 am

Onions are one of those foods I could not live without, I think I would eat them raw if allowed.

As for a thins stock, could you make regular chicken stock and strain it?
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 am

Actually, you're supposed to strain the chicken stock, so as not to keep the bones or other sort of icky bits in the liquid. You skim the fat while cooking, and then when it's done, strain it through a mesh.

Stock is supposed to be nearly clear liquid...flavored by whatever was originally boiled in it.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:06 pm

Willow, why can't you eat onions raw?

Or is it certain breeds of onion?
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 am

My husband wouldn't sleep in the same room with me. I seem to be suceptible to raw onions, the only exception are green onions.

Yay Halitosis! :oops:
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)