Replacement Ingredients for Vegetarian/Vegan

So, what's for dinner?
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Replacement Ingredients for Vegetarian/Vegan

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:16 am

If you find yourself catering to a vegan, I pity you! We're a hard bunch... particularly if there are allergies involved. However, here are some general rules that can help you survive the event.

All recipes have a vegan version. No exceptions. Roast turkey has tofurky and random high protein products made for vegetarians/vegans. Milk has soy/almond/rice/hemp milk. The thing with the nut and grain milks is that you can buy them in stores for a lot of money, or, especially when used in baking, you can make your own.

Not only this, but the veganized version of any recipe can cut away fat, calories, and generally make it healthier. Ever wonder how you can eat as much pie as you want and still get healthier? Hee hee!

MILK
-Mix 1/2 cup nuts or grains of choice (preferably soaked a few hours, but is OK if not) with 1 1/2 cups water, blend, and strain in cheesecloth. If used in baking, just use a sieve because little grain bits won't matter.

IN BAKING
EGGS
-1 banana = 2 eggs
-1/4 c applesauce = 1 egg (can prevent rising so add a bit more baking powder, about 1/2 tsp)
-Egg replacer (follow directions on package)
-1/4c silken tofu = 1 egg (same deal with applesauce - add more baking powder, about 1/2tsp)
-Flax Eggs - recipe = 2 eggs (Flax Eggs adapted from The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer, p 212
3 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup warm water
Grind the flax seeds until a fine meal and place in small bowl. Add the water, and stir briskly until evenly mixed. Wait a few minutes, and it will be thick and act as a binding agent, just like eggs.

The sweet ingredients listed can be used in baking all sweet recipes, such as pies, cakes, cookies, etc. All ingredients can be used in all types of baking, including the pies, cookies, cakes, but also breads, scones, etc.

MILK

Use nut/grain milk listed above. Can be bought in most stores or made yourself. Use sweetened or unsweetened in baking recipes, or use unsweetened in any non-sweet recipe, such as alfredo, stroganoff, etc.

CREAM & EVAPORATED MILK
Use a thicker, richer "milk" like the soymilk bought in stores. Coconut milk, bought or made at home, can also be used. Be aware coconut milk will give a coconut flavour to what you are cooking. To make coconut milk, blend the flesh of 1 young thai coconut with 1c of the water. Keep adding more of the coconut water until you get the desired consistency, like that of cream, maybe a bit thinner.

SUGAR
Many sugar companies (like Rogers) filter the raw sugar cane juice through the charcoal made from animal bones. Brown sugar and raw sugar are safe, and usually go great when replacing the original white sugar. Research your company - some have special products. Rogers, for one, does not use this filtering process with their beet sugar.

There is also stevia powder or extract, but I have not experimented with this enough to know an approximate amount. Be aware stevia has an odd flavour, especially the powder, which I think tastes like death. The extract is yummy, though!

HONEY
Agave Nectar *** (tastes most like honey, and is YUMMY!)
Rice Syrup
Maple Syrup (gives a maple flavour, be warned)
Cane syrup
Any syrup, really, found in stores.

MEAT
There are many meat replacements on the market. Yves has many such products including veggie ground, "hot dogs," sausages, deli slices, burgers, etc. Yves is not only vegetarian, but vegan as well.

CHEESE
Many soy and "fake" cheeses on the market are not vegan at all, but meant for those with a lactose-reduced diet. They have an ingredient called Casein, Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate which is actually a milk protein. Also, any item with whey in it is not vegan. Most margarines have this in them. However, there are some good fake cheeses out there.

Avocado, in sandwiches, makes a fantastic cheese.
Nutritional Yeast is cheap, yummy, and healthy! It's a flaky-powdery yellow substance that tastes very cheddary, and is full of B vitamins, something a lot of veggiepeople lack if they do not eat properly (i.e. not eating meat because of ethics instead of health). Add to taste to any cheesy recipe. 1/2 cup is good for about 2 cups "milk" in alfredo sauce, and 1/4 cup is good for 1/2 cup tofu in "grilled cheese" recipes. Nutritional Yeast can be added to almost anything.

BUTTER
Almost any baking recipe can do without butter or oil, and it doesn't change the taste or consistency. However, if you want, you can add the same amount (or a few tbsp less) of any oil of your choice. Olive oil tastes good in sweet baking recipes, but grapeseed oil is a tasteless, healthy, and cheaper alternative. If you go ahead and use margarine, make sure it does not have caseine or whey in the ingredients list. I have succeeded in finding only two vegan margarines: Fleishmann's Lactose Free, and Earth Balance. Earth Balance has a strange taste in baked goods and is more expensive, but it's good as a spread on toast, etc, and is healthier.

If you're catering to a vegan in your house, it's like any other guest. They shouldn't put you out of your way. Most have survival tactics of their own, anyway. If they're snippy about it, well, they're not a good guest.

PHEW! I think that's it. Any questions or items I missed, please let me know. Also, if you want a recipe "veganized," I'd be happy to do so. Cooking/uncooking is my life! It's one of my favourite hobbies. (Heh... one reason I talk about it so much!) OR if you have a favourite recipe but don't like it's fat/cholesterol content, or want a healthier version without losing the flavour/texture so you can eat more of it, I can do that, too. Not to mention if you want to sneak some health into recipes for kids/spouses...
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Replacement Ingredients for Vegetarian/Vegan

Post by white_harmony » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:02 pm

*prints off* that will come in handy one day I'm sure lol. Thank you for that honey!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:19 am

Note about nutritional yeast, if you are ever making a meat and potatoes meal and want an easy meat replacement. Slice some firm tofu very finely then shake it in nutritional yeast with a few spices then either dry fry it or use a bit of oil...super healthy can can be eaten plain wor with mushroom gravy, mmmmm.

Thanks for this crazy, I think this is the most concise list of this sort I have ever seen!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:43 am

Oh hey that sounds yummy, Willow! I'll have to give that a try
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:07 am

Thanks for posting this information. It will come in very handy.

I never thought of bananas as a egg sub. :-k
Do vegans not eat honey? I was under the impression that honey was allowed because it was made by not made of bees. Is it because of the regurgitaion process that bees use to make honey?

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:26 am

Some vegans eat honey, and some don't. Those who don't eat meat because of ethics won't because of the stress on the bees and that it's "mean" to take away honey. Some also are strict about "no product made by an animal." But hey, beeswax candles are MUCH better for the environment than petrol candles, or even soy candles, which are a lot more harmful than others thing.

Personally, I consider honey a medicine, not a food. However, if bread has honey in it, I'll still eat it.

Mmmm. I think I might whip up some apple cider vinegar, garlic, and honey as a cold remedy tincture. I'll post the recipe when I make it.
Crazy Healer Lady

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:41 am

I'm looking forward to trying some of these products as substitutes for animal products. After reading the stuff said about soy milk, somewhere in the forum, it was suggested that there are better substitute milks so I've bought rice milk today to try. It's nice in a strange nutty way. My partner did not like it in his coffee but he will try it again, no doubt, and will probably use it when he runs out of cows milk hehe. I think it'll be nice in baking and puddings. It's sweet, so tastes a little strange because I'm used to unsweetened hot drinks, but I've been adding less milk than I usually would and I think I'll get the right balance soon.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 am

Try almond milk. It's thicker and much closer to soy or cow milk. Cheaper to make your own. Try also brazil-nut milk and other nut milks. Oat milk is amazing, too. I'm not a fan of rice milk in cooked foods. Gives an off taste.

Good on you for trying new things. If you need information on cow milk for your partner, give him The China Study to read.
Crazy Healer Lady

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:56 am

I'll have a look around for nut milks. I'm starting to think I could probably do without milk at all, I only have it in my breakfast tea or coffee.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:55 pm

You can make nut milks. It's easier with a high-speed blender, but it's cheaper to make than buy. Soak a cup of almonds for 12 hours in pure water, rinse, blend in 3-4c pure water, and strain with a nutmilk bag or cheesecloth overlapped. Messy process, but lots of fun. Soaking releases the enzyme inhibitors and makes nuts and seeds easier to digest. You can add any sweetener of your choice. Some good ideas include stevia, honey, agave, banana, peach, pear, etc.
Crazy Healer Lady