Perfume/Cologne

So, what's for dinner?
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:10 pm

A piece of advice, some essential oils are photosensitive, or phototoxic! (Meaning they can cause problems if they're on your skin in the sun, even tiny amounts!)

I know that Orange and Ginger are both photosensitive; Ginger can actually be phototoxic.

The one reaction I saw was part of a very lightly scented massage oil blend...three drops of Ginger in 16 oz of oil, nothing else in the mix was phototoxic/sensitive...and the poor girl had patches of sunburn on her arms. Like a piebald horse!

I'd do a safety data search on any essentials before determining your mix...to make sure you have the right oil for the purpose.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 am

Yeah, I don't think it is. But there are other things that you wouldn't THINK were phototoxic that are/can be.

When my friend and I were trying to mix massage oils/bath oils to sell at Ren Faires and LARP events, we bought a book called "The Encyclopaedia of Essential Oils" by Julia Lawless.

It lists Plant family, any synonyms, general description, distribution, other species, herbal/folk traditional use for the oil, actions, extraction method, characteristics of a quality oil, the chemicals IN the oil, Safety data, Aromatherapy/home use, commercial uses (Other).

This book was very useful in stopping us from making blends that would be dangerous or have unexpected results...it also let us know what oils can be bad for like, a pregnant lady to use. Our first two references weren't as good...so we had some oils that weren't a good blend (aforementioned ginger...lucky for us, it was a friend testing it and not a customer!)

I would recommend this book to ANYONE who is serious in doing any essential oil work. Yeah, you might have to look up some stuff on a medical website or a medical dictionary...b/c all the "Actions" are in medical terms...like Analgesic, emmenagogue.

Otherwise, it's a great reference.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:12 pm

I'll have to check that book out! Thanks, Kystar!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:41 pm

you're welcome.

I would hate for anyone here to have a problem with something like that when I have a resource that could help.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:08 pm

Sounds like a great one, and I've been looking for a good one for a while now!

Thanks!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

pheonix
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Perfume/Cologne

Post by pheonix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 am

100+ proof moonshine would be a good base. :-D you would just have to find some first lol.

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm

pheonix wrote:100+ proof moonshine would be a good base. :-D you would just have to find some first lol.
It's not that difficult to make it yourself. I've done it on the stove and ran the lawnmower on it. :-D

Check your local laws, but in most of the US, small amounts for personal use are legal.
-----
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weygold
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gweygold
Home: http://www.weygold.com/

pheonix
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by pheonix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

It's not that difficult to make it yourself. I've done it on the stove and ran the lawnmower on it. :-D

Check your local laws, but in most of the US, small amounts for personal use are legal.[/quote]

yeah, but you have to practice, and know what your doing for the proof to turn out high...just watch the tv show moonshiners lol