Almond milk

So, what's for dinner?
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Almond milk

Post by Lotus » Tue May 08, 2007 11:56 am

The other day I noticed this in my grocery store. It seems like people use it as a milk alternative. Since I really like almonds this might be something I really like.
I was wondering what it tasted like and how you'd use it in a recipe?

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Oh man.. fan-tabulous!!! So yummy!

You can use it in place of milk in any recipe: ANY recipe. Use the same volume. Also, it's great in home-made cereal or muesli :D:D

You can make it yourself for cheap though (well, as cheap as raw almonds can be). The almonds need to be raw. They are not hard to find: just don't by slivered, blanched, or anything that looks different than what you would pull out of an almond nutshell.

Soak 1 cup of almonds in water for 24 hrs. Believe me, this is very necessary O___O

Strain and rinse the almonds, and put in a blender with 3cups of water, and 3-4 (or 6 if you have a real sweet tooth) soft (or soaked) dates. If you like, add some vanilla extract. BLEND!! It will get foamy and delicious and you will never want anything else in your entire life. I could live off of almond milk. Strain in either a nut bag or a piece of natural coarse fabric (like muslim) that has been poked all over with a needle - otherwise it strains too slow and you lose ALL the delicious almond.

If this is too thick, add more water & blend.

Keeps in the fridge about 5 days, sometimes a week. Be sure, like milk, to shake before you serve. You can do lots with the pulp, like add it into baking recipes (if you dry it, you can use it in place of up to 1/4 of the flour amount) or just compost it.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh gee! I found a neat site while searching for variants of the almond milk recipe! It has pictures, so you can see what it looks like, and what to do :)

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondmilk.html
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG