Tofu

So, what's for dinner?
SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Tofu

Post by SageWolf » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Hey I was thinking about using Tofu in Lieu of starchy things like Potatoes and rice, I won't give them up completely but I was thinking of it. Are there any good recipes to use for Tofu like you would use for rice or potatoes?

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Tofu in lieu of starchy things?? Neat! Most people use it in place of meat, because it has so much complete protein.

What is always good is breading strips of extra firm tofu, and cooking it in the oven like chicken strips. Or you can fry it up or cook it with a bunch of veggies in a broth, in lieu of potatoes.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to use tofu as a replacement for starchy things, but those are a few suggestions, anyway. Usually it is served with starchy things, like in sushi or black bean sauce with other veggies.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:51 am

Thanks CHL I don't know anything about Tofu so I didn't know, but it's interesting, I'll work on some recipes here when I go buy some and see what I come up with Then I'll let you know :-D

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:50 am

Awesome ^_^

A good website for tofu recipes is www.vegweb.com They have a lot of vegan recipes. It is where I got the idea for pumpkin pie icecream! And they separate into many categories, so it is easy to find just what you need. They have an entire section on tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu May 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Oh man... I'm eating this right now, and I thought of you and this topic, Sagewolf. I don't eat tofu very much, but this is so good! I can't get enough!!

My own recipe: Le tofu sur le pain grillé avec le fromage de noix fait un dîner délicieux a la CRAZY HEALER LADY!

(Did I mention my French is horrible?)

For the cheese, blend:

1/4c + 1 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
4tbsp (or just less than 1/4c) water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 red pepper, chopped
Any spices you may like. I added 1/8tsp Epicure Selections's Louisiana Hot & Spicy

Blend until relatively smooth. (30 seconds)

Heat a pan to medium, and add oil, one crushed garlic clove, and any spices you like (I used 1/4tsp Epicure Selections's Greek). To this add enough tofu sliced 1/4inch thich to cover each piece of bread. Fry each side until lightly brown (about 6m in total).

Toast two slices of bread, and add butter or margarine (I use olive oil margarine). To the toast add a thick layer of your "cheese," put the tofu on each slice, and slather in more "cheese." Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt if desired.

YUM!!! Tastes almost like an egg sandwich without making you feel ill after! (always too much oil for me in them).
Crazy Healer Lady