Cloak Patterns

So, what's for dinner?
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Cloak Patterns

Post by Jescissa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:32 pm

I didn't know where to put this :lol: It's a request for information/instructions...so it's a little like a recipe :-D

I've bought some beautiful plum striped velvet material today and want to make it into a cloak. Has anyone else made their own robes/cloaks and could give me some tips? Ideally I'd love to put a hood on it, but if that's really complicated I'd just settle for pointers on a straightforward hoodless cloak, please :-D
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Google is such a wonderful tool.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/mak ... Cloaks.htm

First Hit...a Lord of the Rings costume site. Nice simple patterns and some not-so-simple patterns.

Now, had you asked for a skirt wide enough to be a gypsy/ren faire skirt, I wouldn't have even had to do that. I can even give a pattern for a Tunic or peasant's dress (Same pattern, just slight alterations for the dress)

Let me know if you want either. I'll email 'em to you...b/c they're pictures.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Try:

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/mak ... Cloaks.htm

I have one based upon the Simplicity pattern. If you like, i'll take a photo and upload it.

There's also:

http://www.idiom.com/~anneli/cloak.html

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 am

LIbrarian, do you realize that I think we both gave the same initial link? :lol:

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 am

Thanks so much :-D

Some challenges I have are that I don't get the sewing machine out very often and I don't have a dummy to hang the cloak on whilst I'm working on it :-? Does this matter much or will I be doomed to failure?
:-D

Any photos and printable patterns would be amazing :-D
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Lack of a dummy can be fixed with a coat rack and a bulky winter jacket...with a wooden hanger. Put the coat on the hanger, put the hanger on the coat rack, wrap the cloak around all of it, and let it sit.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 am

Thanks Kystar, I'll give that a go :-D