So, what's for dinner?
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Soups for the sick

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Chicken Barley soup:
2 Tbs peanut oil
2 lbs chicken (boneless, skinless cut into 2 in cubes)
1 Large Spanish Onion (chopped)
2 Celery stalks (Chopped)
2 Carrots (peeled and chopped)
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
8 cups chicken stock
1 cup uncooked barley (you can do a rice substitue if you like)
1/3 dry vermouth, white wine or cooking sherry
1/4 frech parsle (substitute dried if necessary)

(1) heat the oil in a pan, brown the chicken pieces, remoive witha slotted spoon and save the oil
(2) add all the veggies to the pan and sweat 4 minutes until tender
(3) add the spices and stir to coat the veggies
(4) move all ingrediants (including chicken) into a soup pot, add the stock and the barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until barley is tender
(5) Stir in the vermouth and simmer to heat through
Transfer to bowls and garnish with the parsely
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Mmmmm

You think I could substitute tofu for the chicken, and veggie broth for the chicken broth?? o_O

Sounds good though!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:23 am

Sounds good with the chicken, I am one day going to try tofu but I'm waiting for extra money to buy "frivouls" things ( no offence CHL) But we are the main staples kinda people in my household, I do encourage my kids to eat their veggies and they are really good at choosing an apple over a snickers bar so I've done my best, I even was a veg for a few years, and I've told my kids if they'd like to try it then by all means try it, but they like their meat too much.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:29 pm

I don't see why not, just saute the tofu in with the veggies to give it some flavour and some crispiness, or add it fried after the fact.

And veggie broth for chiken broth...sure.

That is what I love about soups, they are super cheap and super flexible. they can be substituted, simplified, complicated and it rarely messes them up completely.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:54 pm

MMmmm. YUM!

Sagewolf, no offense taken :P

Although you know that tofu is cheaper than chicken ^_^ that is, if the family will eat it. If not, it's a complete waste of money.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:19 pm

I love making soup.... I think I'm going to convince my honey to go the store for me and grab some chicken broth and noodles, cause I've got the rest of the stuff here at home. :lol:

And homemade chicken soup is healthier and better for you than store bought soup, if only because it's made with love.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:35 pm

And homemade chicken soup is healthier and better for you than store bought soup, if only because it's made with love.
and not chemicals we cannot even pronounce and would kill a dog dead if taken straight. O_O
Crazy Healer Lady

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:11 am

So if you killed a dog wouldn't it be dead already, or do you kill it again to make sure? :lol: sorry it's 5 30 something AM and I've yet to have my coffee, but I'm actually planning on going back to bed as soon as the kiddos go to school. I can't even see what I'm typing, My glasses are still by the bed :lol: , So forgive me for being a smart alic

SageWOlf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:57 am

;) It's an old term. My dad's a real cowboy-Texan-type, and he grew up in Abbotsford, which is rich in english & grammar nightmares, including the HORRID "come" instead "came." eg. "He come up to my house and knocked on the door." I think I picked the "kill a dog dead" term up from him, but REFUSE the grammar nightmares!
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Oh...and home made soups have a tenth of the salt/sodium.

Never ever read that part of a canned soup label, you will have a fit.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)