Bulgar?

So, what's for dinner?
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Bulgar?

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:15 am

Hey All,
My friend just gave me a GIANT bag of bulgar, does anyone know any good recipes that use bulgar (preferably a lot of it)?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:37 am

ummm I don't even know what Bulgar is.. So yeah ummm good luck sis.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

LOL, well you are no help :P

Bulger is a wheat by product, usually used in tabouli, but I can only eat so much of that. I am looking for other recipes because this is a giant bag.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:38 pm

I have never cooked with bulgur (as it is called in most other parts of the world, I think) but here are two things you could do:

1. Bulgur is very similar to couscous, but with the difference that is is more of a "whole-wheat" version. You could use it in any of the recipes using couscous.

2. Search in Google for bulgur + recipe: this will give about 173,000 search results. There might be something useful in that.

BTW: Just how big is that bag you got given? If it's just too big to eat before it goes off, perhaps feeding birds or chickens with it might be the go........
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:15 am

Its a Kg bag, which is big considering I am one person who has never eaten it before, and bulgur is pretty light.

I looked at the recipes online too, I just like to see if other people I know have tried and true recipes I can borrow, sometimes online recipes are hit and miss :)

Thanks all!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:53 am

Hmmm. Experiment!!! Can you grind it up in a coffee grinder and use it in recipes? Might bring an interesting flavour and heaviness to the recipe.

Unfortunately bulgar isn't something I am too familiar with. I say, try it in everything. Try putting it in soups when you make them, like you might with pasta. Try making a sort of "cream of wheat" out of it for breakfast. Soak it in twice as much water overnight, and see what kind of texture you are dealing with.

Good luck! :D
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG