Heavenly Garlic Dip
2 Garlic bulbs
6 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs Lemon Juice
3 Tbs tahini sesame seed paste
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

(1) Separate the garlic bulbs into individual cloves. Place them on a cookie sheet and roast in a preheated oven, 400 (f) or 200(C), for 8-10 minutes. Set them aside to cool for a few minutes. Whenthey are cool enough to handle peel the cloves and finely chop them.

(2) Heat the olivev oil in a pan or skillet and add the garlic and onion. Saute over low heat, stirring occassionaly for 8-10 minutes, until ssoft. Remove the pan from the hheat.

(3) Mix in the lemon juice, tahini, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep the dip warm until ready to serve.

(4) Serve with chunks of fresh bread or pita slices.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Buttered nut and lentil dip
4 Tbs Butter
1 small onion chopped
1/2 cup red lentils, washed
1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cups blanched almonds
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp groound cumin
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp chopped cilantra
salt and pepper
fresh coriander sprigs for garnish

(1) Melt half the butter in a pan, add the onion and saute over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it is golden brown in colour

(2) Add the lentils and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Drain well.

(3) Melt the remaining butter in a small skillet. Add the almonds and pine nuts and cook them over the low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat.

(4) Put the lentils, almonds and pine nuts into a food processor or blender, together with any butter remaining int he skillet. Add the ground coriander, cumin, ginger and cilantro. Process for about 15-20 seconds until the mixture is smooth.

(5) season the dip with salt and pepper. serve with crusty bread or pitas.
-----------------------------------------
Hummous (this recipe is pretty flexible, you can change ingrediant amounts to suit your tastes)
1 can of chick peas (drained and rinsed)
3-6 cloves of garlic (minced or pressed)
1 small chopped onion
2 sundried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup sesame oil (or more) (note, if you know someone who has a sesame recipe, skip the tahini and use sunflower oil)
1 tbs tahini
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs crushed chillies (or more if you like spicier)

(1) mix the oil and the chillies to gether and let them soak while you are chopping everything

(2) Heat the oil and chillies in a frying pan or skillet, add the onion and fry until onions are clear, add the garlic and cook for a max of three minutes. Then add the chick peas and continue to fry until theoil starts to bubble again.

(3) Put everything into a blender or food processors. Blend the ever loving snot out of it and serve with pita slices or crusty bread. Is also good with veggies and is yummy hot or cold.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:29 pm

:O! And they are VEGAN!! I LOVE YOU WILLOW!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 pm

yeah, if you use margarine instead of butter I guess they are...yay me. I have been trying to find my bab ganoujr ecipe too, I will keep youposted for further updates on this breaking story! :lol:

Edited to add: Love you too, I can use allt he love I can get....exam time.

You will be glad to know I have moved from grapes to pomegtrants!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:16 am

Wow. I have never finished a whole pomegrant.

How about... toast? And why is it that your eating habits are mentioned the morning I am making cookies?? That little talker you met last night is helping me make sugar cookies for Xmas gift baskets. Now, if I could just perfect my transport beam... I'd better not send snow at the same time. We might end up with something from The Fly.

And, whenever I see butter called for, I automatically go for oil :P I didn't even SEE butter on the list until you mentioned it!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:41 am

same here, I only use butter in pastries because I am still perfecting my technique with them.

I was thinking of indulging in making some chocolate chip cookies later this afternoon. Although, if we did somehow genetically combine cookies and snow, wouldn't we just wind up with really soggy cookies? Gross, but not too deadly.

Your niece is very cute, I would want to hug her all the time if she was around. I can't wait until my friends baby gets a little older nad we can actually play with her!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:28 pm

No, not soggy cookies. You'd wind up with an abominable SNOW COOKIE!!!!

Yes I'm still perfecting that as well :oops: although I made wicked cookies using corn oil instead of butter. I just used 3/4 the amount.
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:55 am

smart smart, I also meta friend who would use yogurt instead of butter...maybe it could be tried with maple soy yogurt?
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:16 pm

Anybody know if it's possible to make Nanaimo Bars using oil instead of butter? I don't think it's possible, but you guys are healthy cooking guru's so if anybody would know, it would be you guys.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:18 pm

Sorry Kitsune :( I can't eat nanaimo bars *sigh* but I'll betcha you can!

You know, there is margarine made out of olive oil :D
Crazy Healer Lady

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:51 am

They look wonderful but, I have a few questions:

Where would someone find tahini?
What types of things would you serve the garlic dip with....veggies, bread, or crackers?

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:29 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote::O! And they are VEGAN!! I LOVE YOU WILLOW!!!
Hmm I am vegan too.

Only eat things that eat grass. :P :-D

Great recipes bye the way. I will try them out.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:56 am

OK multiple questions:
Lotus: tahini is a sesame seed paste which I rarely use but generally it can be found easily in health food stores but also in larger grocery stores (look where other dips like hummous, bab ganouj are) A brand in canada is summerfresh but I am not sure about where you are. Or you can make your own tahini:

Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) Recipe
Ingredients
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lukewarm water

Instructions
Blend sesame seeds in a blender and grind until smooth. Add sesame oil, salt, and then slowly add 1/4 cup of water while blending. Blend until completely smooth (in other words, blend the everloving snot out of it).

As for what to serve with the garlic dip, I think a nice crusty bread would be best, but melba toast would work. I am still not sure about serving it with veggies.

Kitsune: Umm I have a recipe for vegan nanaimo bars that I have never made but I can share:

Ingredients:
Bottom Layer:
3/8 C margarine (which is oil based and comes in vegan garanteed versions)
2 Tbs. water
1/4 C white sugar
1-3/4 C vegan graham cracker crumbs
3/8 C (6 Tbs.) cocoa powder
1 C shredded unsweetened coconut
egg substitute equivalent of 1 egg
1/2 C finely chopped walnuts

Middle Layer (vanilla frosting):
1/8 C + 2 tsp.Margarine
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
1 Tbs.+ 1tsp. soy milk
2 C confectioners' sugar

Top Layer (chocolate ganache):
1 Tbs. Spectrum
5 squares (5 oz.) Baker's unsweetened chocolate

1 ungreased 8 x 8 square pan

DIRECTIONS:
Bottom layer:

Combine graham crumbs, coconut and walnuts in a mixing bowl & stir well. Put margarine in a saucepan evenly along the bottom. Heat gently until it begins to melt. Add sugar and cocoa and melt on low heat and stir.

When the sugar & cocoa have dissolved, remove from heat. Add in the egg substitute and the 2 Tbs. water and stir to blend the chocolaty mix evenly. Add the mixture of graham crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Mix well. Press this mixture firmly into the bottom of the 8x8 square pan. (Pressing it well is very important, so don't be afraid to use your hands, you can opil them a little first so they don't stick). Refrigerate to chill while you prepare the middle layer.

Middle layer:
Combine margarine, vanilla extract and soy milk. Microwave for a minute to heat. While this mixture is still hot, put it in a mixing bowl and begin to mix with the confectioner's sugar, using a mixer and adding the sugar in gradually. You should get a very stiff consistency when you are done.

Take the bottom layer out of the refrigerator. If the filling is too stiff to spread easily, microwave it for 45 sec. to 1 min. Use a spatula to spread the filling over the bottom layer. Don't start the top layer until you are done with the middle.

Top layer:

Break the five chocolate squares in two. Coat bottom of a saucepan (or double boiler) with 1 Tbs. margarine. Heat gently until it begins melting. Add unsweetened chocolate and melt on low heat. As soon as it is evenly melted, remove from heat and pour immediately on top of the bars, spreading with a spatula. The contrast between the super-sweetness of the middle and the dark, bitter chocolate is key. Chill the bars in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate ganache hardens. Cut into 16 2" squares. At this point they are ready to serve, or you can freeze them ahead of time; they freeze very well. Serve chilled at room temperature.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:51 pm

That's awesome. Thanks.

Yeah, I love Nanaimo Bars, CHL. They're one of my holiday favourites. I know they're horribly fattening, but I figure if I only make them once a year, then I'm doing okay.

:lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:08 am

They aren't that bad, I mean they are probablybetter than eating a burger....

And Ragnar, I just got that [-X bad bad, be nice to the cows :P
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Mmm sounds great, Willow! I'll bet I can make that with carob MWA HA HA HA!

Ahh Ragnar, eat a few for me. That way maybe people will stop trying to feed me lard-based sweets and roasts. "No, I don't mean to be offensive future mother-in-law: I just can't eat that."
Crazy Healer Lady