Samhain Barley Cakes

So, what's for dinner?
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Samhain Barley Cakes

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:46 pm

I made these as offerings for Samhain. A little late now, but good for next year. It makes about 12, which was perfect for me: 4 as offerings to All My Relations, 4 as offerings for my ancestors, those who have come before and will come after me, spirits of the dead walking, and those I love who have passed away this year. 3 I shared with my family and my SO, and the last I ate with my SO sharing memories of those who have left us by a little candle. I am a sugar nut, my mother hates sweet stuff, and my niece is picky. Everyone loved them.
This recipe is just as I made it. Feel free to substitute flax eggs for real eggs, etc, but trust me, this tastes awesome.

Samhain Barley Cakes

1 1/2 cups barley flour (I ground up whole hulled barley in a coffee grinder. Makes the texture a little coarser, but I like it.)
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 flax "eggs" (see below"
1/4 cup oil
2/3 cup boiling soy millk
1 tsp rosemary infusion
(for "rememberance.")

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet, and stir/whisk until just mixed. Spoon into cupcake tins. Bake at 350F for approx 25 minutes, turning halfway. Share with friends, family, as offerings, etc.

Flax Eggs adapted from The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer, p 212

1/6 cup raw flax seeds
1/2 cup warm water

Grind the flax seeds until a fine meal and place in small bowl. Add the water, and stir briskly until evenly mixed. Wait a few minutes, and it will be thick and act as a binding agent, just like eggs.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG