Peppered oranges???

So, what's for dinner?
Ragnar

Peppered oranges???

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:00 am

I have just heared from a radio programme about a Mexican food. Peppered oranges.

??? Does any one know about these, or even better how you make them?

Obviously those of you around CA or New Mexico, TX will be more likely to know...but, any one?

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:11 am

:-D I found this:

BBQ Lamb with Oranges

Ingredients:
4 lean lamb steaks, (no fat or bone)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
4 sprigs rosemary, (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2 tablespoons balsamic, or raspberry vinegar

2 large navel oranges
black pepper, freshly ground

Method:
1. Rub lamb steaks with brown sugar, make a slight slash in meat and insert rosemary. (If using dried rosemary, press into lamb)
2. Sprinkle with vinegar and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.
3. Peel oranges and remove all pith. Slice finely and arrange on a shallow plate.
4. Sprinkle liberally with coarsely ground black pepper and vinegar.
5. Leave to stand until meat is ready to serve.
6. Grill lamb under or over hot griller, brushing with vinegar several times.
7. Serve with orange slices, steamed new potatoes and a green vegetable.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:54 am

Metta Pax. Thanks. In fact my Wife has put that in her "magical recipe book".

The way I understood this was, that the oranges alone were cooked(?), or sprinkled with pepper.

I have had Peruvian Coffe, with sour Yak milk and chilli pepper, so it would not come as a surprise. #-o

I just wonder what the actual recipe is. The BBC, bieng their wonderful selves, have no information. :-?

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:51 pm

well, I check with Jesus (a fella I work with) and some of the mexiboys and they've never heard of it. :-k

Sorry.... let me know if you find anything thoguh, now the cat is curious. :lol:
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:09 pm

Came up with this, though I think it's supposed to be Italian?

Peppered Oranges

This is a highly versatile dish that can be served as an appetizer, dessert, breakfast, or even just a simple snack. Its quick preparation and simple recipe make it optimal for creating a gourmet taste in virtually no time at all. This recipe is great for people in a hurry, but still wish a fine snack.

Serves 2 (though this recipe is easily doubled or tripled)

Ingredients

• 2 fresh navel oranges
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Ground black pepper

Directions

Slice oranges into half moon shaped, flat slices, throwing away any pieces that are mostly peel

Arrange orange slices in a single layer on a dinner plate

Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper

Serve immediately.

(Found this on a website called Below Top Secret, but I've lost it, sorry, can't find the post again. Author said it was a family recipie he was putting in a cookbook he was writing, but no name given, just a screen name, so sorry, can't credit properly)

Why can't I bloomin' learn to spell "recipe"? I'm an excellent speller, dangit...
"Obedezco pero no complo"

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks both.

Grumpy, Where have you been? Or have I just missed your posts? I dont seem to remember seeing any for AGES. :-?

If its appropriate, and not just me, welcome back. :-D

Aye, that recipe does sound like what they were on about. They were using Mexican chilli, and they were Mexican, so, I thought... Na ja, If it goes woof and bites postmen it is a fair bet that it is NOT a hamster. :lol:

But I am a great fan of having a little food with my pepper, so I will give your recipe a try. ;)

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:50 am

It might be MY hamster. Even the dogs are afraid of 'er.

Thanks, Ragnar. I've lurked some, just haven't really had much to say, kind of a downswing the last few months. It's kind of...um...polite around here lately...let's bash the scientologists or something, eh?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:30 am

Aye, it has been a bit quiet. Strange, as soon as I make posts about how the fundys are using this site as a "training ground", they all dissapear.

Case of "Hitting the nail on the head"?

I have noticed that the last few months have been VERY quiet, with only four or five posts per week, sometime. One week there were NONE!! :cry:

BUT, this is a good time to throw the question open, I have noticed ALL web sites seem to be in a summer slump. Or is that just me?

Actualy I just thought of saying sorry for kidnaping the thread. Then I discovered it was MINE. #-o

Sorry, me. :oops:

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Heh heh...yeah, I've noticed that on a couple other forums as well. I guess everybody else has better things to do? I gotta start dating again...
Maybe we could bait some fundie sites with references to this forum? Might bring us somebody to play with.. :finga:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Thats "trolling", BAD Grumpy.... hmmm :roll:

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:59 am

Not if they come to us..?..

{sound of big blue eyes blinking innocently}

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:03 am

If they troll on us, they are fare game and we can kick them in thier bridge struts.

If we do it the other way around, then we are the bad guys, and WE have started a flame war.

Which, given the amount of money those christian types have, could end up in not bieng very nice legaly. :cry:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:13 pm

We could discuss Isreal [-X

that would bring poeple in... :smt117

But I agree there is a bit of a summer slump, not as many students at their computers procrastinating...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:43 pm

You know I still don't get the bloomin' chicken smilie. Will somebody PLEASE explain it to me?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Bring people in, illustrated by a Chicken being caught in a net. Rather apt I thought.

Thing is, all of us here even on the middle east would probably all find grounds to agree before the post got onto page 3.

BUT, I do think it is a good subject to keep away from any way.

I have been checking around other web sites, where I use a VERY different legend. :lol: To see if any one ever mentions here. But can not find anything.

I do get the impression though, that the christian secret handshake brigade have warned each other about thier experiences at our hands, and won´t come near the place any more.

A pity. :roll: