So, what's for dinner?
gwmRNpozSC
Level 1
Level 1

Chicken recepies.

Post by gwmRNpozSC » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:15 pm

Chicken Bog.

But first a little story about it.

Born in Gary, IN. Finished growing up in Charlotte, NC. Ended up here, eons later, in Loris, SC.

One day, in line to cafeteria at local hospital, I saw "Chicken Bog" on menu. Bewildered, I asked "What's Chicken Bog?"

Severeal heads turned, and almost simultaneously said, to me, "WHAT'S Chicken Bog???!!!!" with a very shocked reaction, as if I had just announced that Billy Graham was the antichrist. (Mind you, this is a VERY "Baptist" area with Church of God running them a close second, here. All very fundamentalistic. Thus, the illustration.)

What astounded these locals, was that they didn't know that Chicken Bog, by name and such, was confined to the northeastern section of South Carolina. That the bulk of the Carolinas did not know what it was.

http://members.tripod.com/~andrews_sc/chickenbog.htm

Grand Strand Chicken Bog
(Found in the Vertical File of Chapin Library, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)

2 1/2 lb. chicken pieces
1 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 lb. smoked sausage
1 tsp. black pepper
2 c. long grain rice

Boil chicken and onions in 4 c. water until tender. If desired, debone chicken. Slice sausage in 1/2" pieces, add sausage, pepper and rice to chicken. Simmer until all broth is absorbed and rice is cooked. Serves 8.

This is not "my" way of doing it, but the "locals" here would hardly consider MY Chicken Bog to be CHICKEN BOG!

I use only white meat, I grill it first, and I always use lean Kielbasa sausage. Oh, yea, I've NEVER NEVER NEVER seen anyone around here use green peppers in it, either, except ME (along with garlic, and mushrooms).

Otherwise, mine is like the above notation.

This recepie, above, is interesting, because "Myrtle Beach" is the "BIG city" nearby me (about 40 miles away to center of town), and I've NEVER seen ANYONE around here use green pepper.

Plus, Loris, as all these small towns do, has an annual fair. Aynor is their Hoedown, Tabor City does their Yam Festival, Mullins does their Golden Leaf (tobacco) festival, Mullins does their Swamp Fox festival, and LORIS does their ANNUAL BOG OFF FESTIVAL.

Yup. They have an ANNUAL Chicken Bog CONTEST.

Story here is it was a quick and easy dish to fix a farm family back in poor days.

Take some sausage you already had from a pig you slaughtered, throw some rice and the sausage together, kill a chicken, prep it, throw it into the pot, and you had Chicken Bog, they say.

"Authentic" Chicken Bog, HERE, is bone-in.

I do not like bone-in. I like deboned.
RoBeRt., the OfFiCiAl ReGiStErEd Nut.
Loris, South Carolina, USA.