My experiments with Ramen

So, what's for dinner?
SWK
Level 1
Level 1

My experiments with Ramen

Post by SWK » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:09 pm

I love ramen, but kinda got sick of just the little flavoring packets they give you to mix in so I added in some other ingredients, and it was good (Just ask one of my guinea pigs {aka Raven}). For those of you daring enough to try it, here is my crazy ramen recipe:

Start off making ramen using the instructions given on the back (I usually make 2 packs at one time, so when I give the amount of ingredients it's going to be as if you were making it with 2 packs of ramen)

once the water is boiling, and the noodles are cooked, add in the packets of flavoring they give you and turn off the heat to the stove.

this is where you start adding in the extra stuff (I didn't really pay attention to how much I put in so I'm gunna guesstimate): 1/2 teaspoon of Paprika, 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon of powdered onion, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, and a pinch of Thyme and Sage. Now stir it a couple of times and strain it.

Now you add the pesto sauce! Put in as much as you feel necessary, because I know I always go overboard on pesto sauce (I love it just like soy sauce).

That's my own special recipe for ramen, hope yall enjoy it.

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:16 pm

*coughs* Yeah... its pretty crazy all right....

its pretty good, but... Idk, large amounts are a little too pestoy...

SWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SWK » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:24 pm

you know what, I just made myself some, and raven is right. Use the pesto sparingly, it overpowers the other ingredients.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:35 pm

here's a nice thing to try with ramen...that I did in my college days.

While the water and noodles are boiling, add some frozen veggies (peas, carrots, corn) and right before the noodles are done, crack an egg into the boiling water and stir it around. you get something similar to fried rice only w/ramen
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

SWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SWK » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:46 pm

Awesome! I'll have to try that, thanks.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:54 pm

When I eat ramen, I usually drain most all of the water, ad in a ton of butter and half the packet of chicken flavoring. Its good that way ^.^

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:04 pm

I've used the ramen w/out the water (with the packet added w/ a few tablesppons of water left) instead of rice in a lot of reciepes.

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:47 pm

Sorry, Ramen is just pain evil... of course, I'm biased since I moved out on my own at 16 and had to eat what I could to get by, lol... gods above and below I'm glad those days are gone... but years later, I still find Ramen evil, heh heh.

wassail und wunjo
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:03 pm

When there was some money trouble when I went into college, our food budget went so low that mom and I lived on pb&j and various other cheap foods. Strange thing is, ramen was a staple of that as well. To this day, I can't face PB & J often, but I'll eat ramen at least once a week if i'm in a lazy mood.

weird, huH?

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:12 pm

LOL, Kystar, that just reminds me of when we were without power last year from the hurricanes. The day we were allowed to go to the grocery store, we bought and ate a huge can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs cold, and since then I often have cravings for cold spaghetti and meatballs. It's strange how the food you eat during rough times often turns out to either be one of your favorite foods.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:43 am

I have yet to try this one, as now that I can afford to eat, I tend to avoid Ramen, but a friend of mine still enjoys this recipe.

Ramen Loaf.

Four ramen cakes, minus the flavor packets, plus a can of spaghetti sauce.

You don't break them up, and you don't boil them. You put them into a large bowl and pour water over them. Microwave until they are soft. Drain the water, cover in spaghetti sauce and you have Ramen Loaf.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:12 am

All yummy ideas - yes, I am a huge ramen fan, though I REALLY wish they still made the fat free ramen, I liked it better, but I also am probably the only person on earth who likes baked tortilla chips too :-) The last time I saw fat free ramen in stores was over 7 years ago :cry:

I too am from the "had to eat it, still love the stuff" school.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam