World of Wifecraft!

A parrot walks into a bar carrying an Athame...
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

World of Wifecraft!

Post by Mahala » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:24 pm

World of Wifecraft

Oh my goodness.... Now that's an awesome game.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: World of Wifecraft!

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Darn it, it's been disabled.

A rather interesting idea from the comments I saw.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:23 am

Wonderful. :-D

I had an ex who was addicted to everquest (evercrack really) this gave is very similar to WOW. Yeah, some dudes need to devote more time to their relationships. :-D

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:53 am

Personally, I didn't care for it...it just perpetuates the misconception that women don't play video games and that all men who are gamers are jerks.

I'm a woman, and I'm a First Person Shooter fan, and a MMORPG player, and a FPS RPG player. I've been playing video games since the Nintendo/Sega came out. I play Halo, Guild Wars, Elder Scrolls...both Morrowwind and Oblivion. I've played Mortal Kombat and a slew of shooting games. Dead Or Alive is a fun one to play with hubby.

My husband is ALSO a gamer, and we both can balance the gaming focus with other activities. We frag each other on a regular basis...no harm, no foul. We tease each other about it.

We've got a Media PC, a Playstation 2 and an Xbox (got a 360 on loan from his female cousin...her SO has a newer one, so she loaned us her old one).

But, then again, I'm sick of them saying that violent video games is why people are shooting each other, too. :roll:
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 am

Kystar wrote: But, then again, I'm sick of them saying that violent video games is why people are shooting each other, too. :roll:
Ah. Not really. Either they are plaing the games and to busy to go shooting, OR they are too busy shooting to play.

I mean, the kids that are shooting and stabbing each other in the U.K (350 per day according to police figures, over 590 stabbed to death in LONDON alone this year), are hanging around the streets causing trouble 20 hours per day. GIVEN that they MUSTZ sleep, it doe NOT leave a lot of time to be "indoctrinated" by games.

It is the same argument with "violence" on T.V.

The ones DOING the violence are NOT watching T.V, they are doing violence on the streets.

Seems logic to me.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 am

Ah, but Logic is one thing the media seems to be greatly lacking!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:53 am

Quite!

And, do you know what?

This is the first time for over a year that the site has been so lively!

Keep it up people!!!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:26 pm

I finally got to see it... :-D :-D :-D

I thought it was brilliant. It may be continuing misconceptions, but the misconceptions started somewhere. And I've known people who played WOW so much that they lost their jobs, and one friend who's love of his life said she'd move to Calgary to be with him if he'd only stop playing WOW when she got there... He said he would, but within 3 months, she was moving back home again, saying that she was being ignored.

There may be many people who stop a stereotype in it's tracks, bur for every one of them, there are six who live it. :-? ](*,)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 am

Kitsune wrote: There may be many people who stop a stereotype in it's tracks, bur for every one of them, there are six who live it. :-? ](*,)
Kystar,
Balanced people who game, like yourself, are very hard to come by.
Again, I refer to my ex who did nothing but go to work and then come home to play everquest.
Sure, he did not lose his job but he certainly forced me to get two jobs. I did this to avoid him because I got sick of being ignored.
He was so bad with it. There were points of time where he would not leave to go out (and actually physically do something) because he had to "port" someone. Towards the end he would not eat unless I brought him a plate. He stopped doing household chores like cleaning his computer area or taking out the mounting trash. I left It there out of protest because I was tired of being the one doing everything.......a whole month of mounting trash until I just took it all out!
There was stacks of lined up Mountain Dew cans because he would guzzle a whole case of it in a night of play. There was a extreme moment in time where he even refused to go to the bathroom when he needed to.
Yeah, I so enjoyed cleaning piss-filled Mountain Dew cans....enough said!!!! :roll:
This game was the kiss of death to a then five year relationship.

I used to do Vampire LARP until I got sick of the people who had nothing else to talk about other than game. I got sick of the people who made the game their very life. Girls who would spend thousands of dollars, money they did not have since living in slums, on character outfits. If it were up to me and a choice between a custom made corset and moving out of the slums, I would move out of the slums.
There was one girl actually sleeping with the District Coordinators and National Coordinators just to get "prestigue"(a type of experience point that allowed you to bring in a tougher character...like an Elder)! :!: :!: :!: :!:

I guess I have seen the unbalanced side,
Lotus

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 am

Ah, well, the extreme IS an issue...and I'm sorry you dealt with the darker side of gaming! (I'd have poured one of those nasty Dew cans over his head in the middle of an epic battle just to make my point, but I think I can be vindictive!) In that situation, I don't blame you for getting upset or for ending an unhealthy relationship. Addictions come in all forms.

I just don't think it's fair to allow the media and the hoopla to focus on JUST the extreme side of things...that forms the opinion that anyone who's a gamer is a loser in real life.

I've been in a LARP myself...and watched a pair of friends nearly suffocate themselves with toxic fumes b/c they were CONSTANTLY making weapons without venting their apartment. When the local group became "Booze, fight, get high" I dropped out...so I've seen the grayer sides of things.

But, stereotyping is a form of discrimination, in my eyes, so I don't like to perpetuate it.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 am

The reason I liked this so much is there is group of 5 of us who play WOW. A friend of mine and her husband play it, who got my husband's ex roommate into it and then us. The guys have a tendency to play more than they should. My friend's husband plays almost as soon as he gets on. The roommate plays about the same amount and has practically become a hermit. And there are times when my husband plays and I have to try to get him off the game. If he were like the other two, he would have been long gone, but he really does try to spend time with me. So maybe he already went to that hypnotist ;)

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 am

Between my husband and I, I'm the one who plays the most Guild Wars.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:31 am

Yeah, stereotyping the whole group for the bad apples is unfair.
I did not originally see it from your perspective given my bad experiences with gaming. I only wish now that I had left him sooner than what I did instead of avoiding the issue. True, there were many people who did not take it too far and made it an occasional fun thing to do.
I can respect that.

Seems like this week is all about cleaning up my perspectives. hex:

BB
Lotus

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:16 pm

I play Diablo, but even then, with most of my family, we only do 6-8 hours in short intervals. (Everyone, mom, dad, brother and my sister and I, all have and use computers!)

But more than anything, I love LARP. I sucked at acting, but I am an amazing LARP person... I just insist weapons are either ouch-proof (harmless to begin with) or foam-wrapped (REAL swords). I haven't even got money for the outfits, right now I just want a set of swords that are collectibles. (Twinkle and Icingdeath... whoever can name the author of the book and the character that owns them gets a cookie!) Given, $500 set of swords. Any of the armor required to, in the technical books, accurately play a drow, could cost upwards of $1,000... Which I wouldn't use. I'd spend that money to get something better, say... a set of books, educational stuffs.

I play the ORPG Endless Online, but I hardly go there because my friend there lost his 'net. Command and Conquer is ok, never touched Everquest, Guild Wars or World of Warcraft. (I'm going to move out before that experiment...)

Oop! Bedtime... :-# I better scat...

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 am

(Twinkle and Icingdeath... whoever can name the author of the book and the character that owns them gets a cookie!)

uhmmmm...R.A. Salvatore - The Swords of Drizzt - Drizzt Do'Urden??