Sexuality in Wicca

Is a love spell really the equivalent of rape?
Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Sexuality in Wicca

Post by Mahala » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:18 pm

I've just come up with a lot of questions, like about swearing, but I have one more. By - insert what the title says-, I mean ritual love making. Is it okay? Or just... weird? I think some activities done as a ritual or for a ritual might offend the Gods and Goddesses some.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:34 pm

Mahala wrote:I think some activities done as a ritual or for a ritual might offend the Gods and Goddesses some.
I think you mean the Great Rite?

I think the Charge of the Goddess explains this quite well...'all acts of love and pleasure are My rituals.' This means that when you express your love for your lover the Goddess is over the moon! When you're honouring your partner(s), you're honouring Her because you're making one of her creations feel fanastic! :-D

The God and Goddess created us with the ability to have and enjoy making love and they'd be pleased for all their creations to 'do it', I don't think they would be offended by something they gave creation to express love with partner(s) and to procreate :-D This doesn't mean that you should just jump up and 'do it' with the first person who asks or that you ever have to do it, but making love is a natural thing and our faith is nature-based! :-D
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 am

Yep, one of the...bonuses to our beliefs is that we're not quite so hung up on sex being..."dirty." It's a normal natural thing and, so long as you take care who you share it with, it's all good! :-D

PS-There's even a holiday where sex is (but doesn't always have to be)part of the celebrating, Beltaine! Though be wary, it's considered a fertility holiday, so some might choose to skip that particular part of the ritual, lest they find out how fertile they really are!
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Morgana wrote:There's even a holiday where sex is (but doesn't always have to be)part of the celebrating, Beltaine!
Yup, and have you ever wondered, Mahala, why at Easter Christians celebrate with chocolate or dyed eggs and the Easter Bunny? It's because the spring equinox (called Ostara in some Pagan traditions after an Anglo-Saxon spring Goddess) was noted as the time when hares/rabbits go 'mad' for their does and hens laid new eggs, both of which were considered symbols of fertility! (Sex symbols, w00t!) When Christianity adopted Ostara and transformed it into Easter, the symbols of fertility were adopted too to symbolise the ressurection and new life of Christ.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:20 pm

Oh, now I think I understand this subject a little more. Sex isn't wrong or dirty in the Gods and Goddesses eyes, as long as you are careful who you're with. I was thinking that doing such activities during a sacred ritual would make them a bit mad, but I see how it works now. Thanks for the new understanding! :lol:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm

In many religions, sex is beautiful and a sacred act, and even necessary for worship of the Divine.

Lovemaking can be an incredibly spiritual experience. Once I felt myself merge with my lover on all levels, and we were drifting in and out of form, and we were each the Divine in its pure and unclouded state. Amazing...

Then again, hiring the prostitute down on the corner isn't exactly... well you get what I mean. But sex is a beautiful thing. Even going solo is spiritual and beautiful in its own way.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm

ARGH how do I get rid of these double posts???!!!
Last edited by Crazy Healer Lady on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:18 am

I don't think my boyfriend will mind me telling you... :-D ...we lost our virginities to each other at Beltane three years ago and it was the most beautiful ceremony ever. It was ceremonial without all the bells and whistles, it was just us and our love...*sigh* I would have a hard time trying to convince myself that God and Goddess weren't with us in the room that night and beaming with pride and love.

Sex with someone special is the best thing in the world and that in itself can make it a ritual. It is the creative act, it brings life into the world (although that should be avoided if you aren't able to be 100% responsible for your offspring...) and all living creatures on this planet have a drive to do it. It is truly a gift from the divine :-D

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:36 am

IMHO Mahala, Sex rituals are to honor the Gods/goddesses, They are beautiful and very moving, But to have sex in a ritual, if you ever decide to do this, make sure that you trueley love the person, not love the person for right now, I think that's offensive to the Gods, don't do the ritual just to have sex,if thats what your thinking, Or even raise the sexual energy without the knowledge and consent to the person who is your partner, that goes against their freewill so just be careful. Also when they do have certian sex rites, the person chosen for the (I can't remember the name) but the man, condoms are encouraged, especially if it is in a group circle (sounds weird I know) But read up on it and you'll understand, And yes, be very careful around Beltaine, thats a very fertile day.

Oh on that note, Full Moon is Beltaine and the Blue Moon (2 full moons in one month) is in the Month of May, I plan on planting my Herb Garden and lighting a Bale Fire this May 1st, I can't wait. I hope we get to dance around it. I am thinking of getting some drum or spiritual fast paced music,

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 am

Beltane is wonderful, it's one of my favourite festivals. It was the first festival I ever celebrated as a brand-new Pagan and of course it was the night me and my sweetie slept together, if that doesn't make it my favourite I don't know what does :lol:

I think the most important thing to realise is that ritual sex is not frowned on in most Pagan/Heathen paths, but don't worry that as soon as you form a circle you'll be expected to sleep with every member. It doesn't work like that. And if you join a circle that tells you it is expected of you...get out of there QUICKLY!!

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:55 pm

To give you a valid answer to this question is darned near impossible as the answer is a personal one. If it is between consenting adults who see it as a valid part of their spirituality, then oui, c'est bon, it's all good, but the inverse is true too. If someone isn't comfortable with it, then non, it's not a good thing for them.

Wicca is a fertility religion, there will be sexuality in it, however it can be and most often is symbolic. The "Great Rite" performed using a chalice and athame or cauldron and sword/staff, etc. This is still an expression of sexuality, it is just not physical sex.

So, as far as sacred sex goes, that would be up to the participants.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Sexuality in Wicca

Post by Hytegia » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 am

It depends on if it's done in Love, and Honor!
:)
We enjoy sex for a reason,l and we enjoy childbirth (maybe more guys than women!) for the same reason. More than it being physical, it's mental, and spiritual. Enjoy Sex like I do, and take joy in knowing that there's a Spiritual connection in it!
Well, the Spiritual Connection may not be so for just worry-free "casual" sex, but still-
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 am

I've been studying a lot on what women call "Ecstatic Childbirth," where, yes there is pain, but there is also ecstasy. I've heard a number of stories where childbirth is an easy and orgasmic experience. I think that is beautiful, and it is my goal to have that, because if I can do it, I can teach others to do it. Much of the magic of childbirth has been stolen away and redirected.
Crazy Healer Lady

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:25 pm

About the original post: ritual lovemaking with more than the couple involved is not my thing, but I'd always advocate a fear-free and joyful attitude to sexuality and love (together is best of course!).

I've heard of 'ecstatic childbirth' too. I'm a bit dubious about it, but that's because of all the birth stories I've heard! Women love terrifying each other don't they? If I ever choose to have children I'll keep an open mind I think and expect neither pleasure nor pain. And I would definitely have a home birth if possible. Saying that I'll have to get over my fear of doctors, needles and blood-giving first, so perhaps the childbirth will be fine after months of being prodded and bled :-? .
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde