Spaying

Is a love spell really the equivalent of rape?
SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Spaying

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:05 am

I didn't know where to put this so Mods feel free to move this to where it belongs, Here's my problem, so to speak, I've got a dog, of course, anyway she went into heat and on a dog cycle it's 7 days going in 7 days fertility and 7 days going out. Well she got loose (she jumped the fence) and was gone for an hour, I have an appt to get her fixed, but my husband and I are argueing over the fact that she maybe pregnant now, and I'm like to the point where in all honesty I don't care, we just had a cat have a liter of kittens, I can't deal with a liter of pups right now, so I called the vet and they can still preform the surgry and would rather do it that way, the lady even said, it's easier to do it now then have to put the puppies that I couldn't find a home for down later, and alittle bit cheaper as well. So my question is this, am I being cruel to her? I should also mention that about a year and 1/2 ago the dog in question got pregnant, as far as we know and never had the liter, we believe she miscarried. So In my opnion, I think it is best for our dog, health wise, to just terminate the pregnacy now, cause if she miscarried before, then I don't want to risk her health again.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:40 am

I do not think it will affect the dog much. I think as far as any pups go, then now is better than later, and it stops the same thing happening next time.

Oh. And "Ethics" is just right.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 am

Ooh, tough call. Well, you and hubby definitely have to reach an agreement over the decision because you're not up for a litter of pups, but he might be. You should make sure that you're acting in your dog's best interest too (although I'm sure you will.)

My friend's mum lost her favourite dog a few months ago (a tiny West Highland White), she went into heat but escaped and mated with a much larger dog and she eventually died because the pups she was carrying were far too big for her body :-(
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:29 am

well I don't have to worry about her size, she's a big dog, a lab but that is still scary to even think of, We've talked it out,(we've been on the phone pretty much all day) and we've agreed it's for the best for Raven (our dog) to get her fixed especially with her miscarriage before, if it was a miscarriage. but thats what we have decided, :lol: :lol: not to mention the fact that I pointed out that puppies will poop all over our beige carpet and if he lets her have the pups then he gets to clean it up. And also that it's hard for me to get rid of any animals, the liter of kittens I want to keep em all, but I also know we ahve to get rid of them so.... it's a catch 22 isn't it?

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:40 am

Yeah, it's not an easy decision to make, but it sounds like it's for the best.

I'm sure the op is a pretty straightforward one, good luck to Raven!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:34 am

Something I have always done regarding animals and serious decisions (well, not always... There was a point in life where I was basically blind, deaf, & dumb, psychically speaking).

Ask your pets!

I asked my Jake to tell me when she was ready to be put down. I promised we would not do it before. I stopped my family.

One day, she looked at me, and I knew. So I called the vet. I went to town to get something (I forget what now) and when I came home, I found out that she died in my mom's arms. She wanted it that way.

Afterwards, she asked me to thank my mom for what she did. I didn't understand... I thought it might have been for holding her while she died. When I told my mom what she said, she started crying. She said that Jake was dying, her breathing would stop.................. start again.......... stop......... So she put her hand very gently over her nose. Very lightly and lovingly. My mom felt so bad for it afterward, even though she had been doing what she unconsciously knew Jake was asking for.

Even if your pet says no about the spaying, you can always make an agreement, or you can explain to her what is going on and why you have to.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Wow...tough call. If she had problems carrying a litter before, ti would probably be for the best health-wise, to get her fixed.

Of course, I would ask for guidence first. Your Guide might have an idea.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:45 pm

yeah I've thought of that, but Huby and i decided dto get her fixed but it still bothers me so I will talk to the dog and let her know why we are doing what we are doing and I will ask my guides and see what they have tos ay.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:24 pm

That seems the best way to do it, my dear ^_^

It`s a difficult decision. I`m sure she will understand if you explain the situation :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:57 am

I have, but right now the poor doggy is in a bit of trouble, we have a fenced in back yard, and this winter we had a BAD ice storm, where all the trees broke and fell, and well it broke the fence (bent the top a bit) and she keeps jumping the fence, and I got a phone call the other day she was fighting with our sorta neighbors dog, that was Sat and yesterday she did it again, this has been ongoing for about a week now, so we got the chain out and chained her up, she hates it, but we don't want her to run, I've had a couple animals get hit by cars, and I don't want that. So she is grounded for awhile, and she is not a happy puppy about it either.
I swear I'm raising another child :lol: :lol: :lol:

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:23 am

Yes, these are tough calls. You love your dog and you have a relationship with her. I sense from your post that you may even be equating the situation with sterilizing a human in similar circumstances. They are moral dilemmas.
Your pet is different though. Precisely because she is your pet and the relationship that humans and dogs have had for millennia. What if she was wild, living her natural state. She would be a hunter and would mate and bear litters perhaps twice a year as a youngster, then once a year until she died from exhaustion.
You provide her with food and water so she will not go and hunt. You give her love and companionship so she sees you and your family as her pack and so comes home to you when she jumps that fence. And you have taken it the duty of controlling her breeding so that she can live a longer and healthier life.
So don't feel bad about doing what you have to do. It's a part of the deal we made with dogs when we agreed to protect feed and shelter them. In return they give us many things. It all balances out and your actions are for the good. Trust your instincts here.
May the Goddess bless you and yours.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:32 am

Well the good news is this, I don't think she's pregnant, when dogs go into heat, it's kinda tricky to get it at the right time, 7 days going in and 7 fertile and 7 going out, well when they are going to day 8 they stop bleeding (the discharge will turn like a pinkish color) and she as of yesterday is still bleeding but it's lightening up, so... She got bred too soon in my eyes, but she's still getting fixed, she is kinda throwing a fit with hubby and me about it, but we've told her it's for her own good as well as that of any pups she might have had, she asked us why, and I told her straight that if we find homes for them who is to know what kind of life they will have, and if we don't find homes what do we do then? So she is thinking about it, and I've explained to her she really doesn't have a choice, so I think right now she is pouting.

I agree Diabanjo. And I thank you for the blessings

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know