What would you do?

Is a love spell really the equivalent of rape?
Stormy

What would you do?

Post by Stormy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:23 pm

OK, this is off topic in that it isn't ethics about spell work, but about something mundane. And actually, I don't even know if ethics should come into it at all. I figured I'd ask you all about it. So here goes:

I saw an out of print pattern on eBay for a crochet blue jay that I'd been wanting for some time but which was always offered on eBay in the past as the full set of patterns which is the Blue Jay, Robin, Baby Robin, Woodpecker, Cardinal, Chickadee and Blue Bird. Since these are out of print (1984 I think) and VERY much sought after, the sets always sold for far more than I was willing to pay - some as high as $40 a set! Now all of them are really cute and it would have been nice to get them all, but the blue jay was the one I wanted the most and when I saw it offered by itself - NEW, UNUSED and STILL in original plastic wrapping (like magazines come in) I was pretty excited. Figured I might have a go at winning it - and I did - for just under $4 - FANTASTIC says I! But...

Then it didn't come when expected and the seller said she did mail it and if it didn't show by this weekend she would refund. I was bummed, thinking it had been eaten by the PO machines. Now, this seller has a feedback score of over 800 - so she's been around selling a while and SHOULD know about selling craft patterns as she's sold a bunch of them. All her feedback is positive too, and she was nothing but nice with me about the envelope not coming. So, what I'm about to tell you, I really think she should have seen for herself, especially since I picked it up right away from only a casual handling of the item.

Anyhow - it got here today (by the postmark on it - 12 days to get a small manila envelope first class!) and I opened it and sure enough, it was wrapped in the old style thin, plastic that they heat sealed shut - the way the patterns were originally shipped to those who subscribed to the pattern newsletter. The pattern moved around a bit in there pretty easily and I could immediately see that there was more than one two page leaflet in the wrapping. I turned it a bit to look and sure enough, I could see very clearly that there were multiple individual glossy color pattern sheets in there. Picture a glossy sheet of printed paper folded in half to form a two page leaflet. If I moved them around a bit you could even see by the colors on the sheets that they were different than the blue jay sheet on top - even though you couldn't see much else.

So, what I am saying is that it was very obvious to anyone who looked that there were multiple patterns in the sealed package. Makes sense, since the patterns were sent out as a set to the people who subscribed. And sure enough, when I opened it, it was THE FULL SET OF PATTERNS, NOT JUST THE BLUE JAY. BRAND NEW. MINT CONDITION.

So I'm sure you know what plauges me now. I figure the seller didn't open the package because she was hoping that in "mint" condition she'd get a pretty penny for even just one pattern and maybe that thought is what kept her from seeing the obvious - that they were ALL in there? But her auction was timed to end at such a time that most folks weren't online to be bidding, plus, folks generally WANT the whole set, not just one - which is why I managed to get it so cheaply. In fact, if I recall correctly, she also had an entire set up for sale at the same time but it was the first printing set which was in black and white - these are in color. But even in black and white and used condition, I think she sold the full set for $17 or $18 dollars. I know for a fact that had she sold the one's I got as a set, that she would have gotten at least $20 for them even at an "off" bidding time.

So the delimma is - do I keep them all? I mean, after all, she is the one who didn't look very closely at the package. Her auction stated in bold letters - ORIGINAL PACKAGING, UNOPENED, NEW OUT OF PRINT PATTERN - which is why I think she may have been blinded by the hope of getting big bucks for it.

Also, she charged me $1.50 to ship something that cost less than that to ship - so if I would ship them back to her, do I charge HER for shipping? She seemed like a nice person so I sort of feel like I'm ripping her off - but since it was never my intention and she had every opportunity to see something that she should have seen (and known since she sells a lot of these types of out of print patterns) do you think it's OK for me to just keep the ol' mouth shut and keep them? This is, of course, muddled up by the fact that I would LIKE to have all of them and it feels like Christmas that they were all in there. But, of course, I must question the honesty and integrity of doing it. But then, I ask myself, is she really nice or, like most sellers on eBay is she so afraid of negative feedback that she was willing to refund? (I actually was going to tell her not to refund if it came to that because I had the option to buy insurance and didn't and don't feel she was responsible).

Anyhow, I've rambled - so any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

I will tell you that my first instinct is to tell her and ask what she wants me to do with them. And then my "greedy crochet artist" side screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" :lol:
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:43 pm

I am not sure....
I think I would contact herand make a reasonable offer. I wouldn't return them but I would offer her some compensation.

Then again, I returned soem extra stickers to the dollar store because I hadn't realised that I had grabbed two.

Anyway, thats all I can think of, though it is very tempting to keep them.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:26 pm

You could buy something else from her. Most of the sellers I've dealt with have been very reasonable and likable individuals who I would certainly do business with again.

Give her excellent feedback, and just let her know what happened.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:09 am

Aye, I think I will have to spill the beans and let her decide what she wants to do - me pay her a reasonable price or send them back. After sleeping on it I realize that I just wouldn't be able to sleep well again if I didn't say something - darn sense of morality ;)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:14 am

I guess I'm too opertunistic or something...because my thought was to give her glowing feedback in the most postive sense, and keep my big mouth shut about the extras b/c she didn't pay attention to her own merchandise. I'd also make sure I bought something else little off of her as a quiet repayment.

This happened to me a while ago...but I never contacted the seller. I bought a bottle of Majoram Essential Oil. Recieved the oil, was about to give feedback, and got a second bottle that day. Gave them the best feedback I could, and made sure I bought something else off of them the next day that was roughly the price of the second oil, which I know doesn't equal out...but then again, I'm of the opinion that if you don't pay enough attention to what you're doing in a business/sales situation...and you don't look at your product or keep good records, than the buyer who gets a windfall is not to blame, your business practices are.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:24 am

Keep them and say nothing.

If she is selling that much on E-Bay, then she is a business and can afford a few "loses", which she didn't know she had any way.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Well, I really really wanted to just keep them and say nothing, but I couldn't. I sent her this email:
  • Good news - it arrived in yesterday's mail! By the postmark it took them 12 DAYS to deliver it! But there is a hiccup with it that I'm not sure how to deal with - of course, the little devil on one shoulder said to me - shut up fool - but the little angel on the other shoulder paid him a visit and gave him a good whipping LOL. Anyhow - when I opened the plastic overwrap it was not just the blue jay pattern - it was the full set of patterns - I am guessing that you didn't realize this. I am also guessing that they sent them out as a set to those who subscribed? So this ball is in your park now - what do you want me to do?
And I got this reply:
  • Thank Goodness!!!!!!!!! Well, I would guess that since I didn’t want to disturb the item and open it….. you lucked out J It’s always great to meet such honest people, sometimes in the world today, I sometimes wonder if people remember what Honesty is……. So it is nice to know there are still good people. So, enjoy them. I am just glad that you got them!!!! So, sorry it took so long for you to get it. Hope to see you again on Ebay!
Hey, I think this may be one of the few times when the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." DOESN'T apply :-D

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:17 pm

Stormy wrote: Hey, I think this may be one of the few times when the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." DOESN'T apply :-D
.....Dangit! I just got that song out of my head! And now its back..... dang you, Wicked soundtrack... dang you...... >.<

But, I'm glad everything worked out for you. *throws confettii*
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:54 am

I must be pretty lucky. I have never heard of it. :lol:

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:07 pm

I would have e-mailed her too about it. :-D

I personally like march of the witch hunters the song right after that one ;)

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:55 pm

Lotus wrote:I personally like march of the witch hunters the song right after that one
My favorite is I'm Not that Girl. And For Good. And Defying Gravity. And Dancing Through Life. And What is this Feeling. And... well, you get the picture ^_^;
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*