Nudity within Spirituality

Is a love spell really the equivalent of rape?
daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:12 am

I love these kind of discussions. Hope you don't mind me joining in.
Gen. Ch 2:17 "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
The reason that the "Day" word is significant is that in the previous chapter christians insist that the earth was created in 7 days. but here they say, the word is not to be interpreted literally.
As far as nudity. (Another subject I'm interested in :-D ) I have to agree that it is only appropriate when everyone is aware that a ritual or ceremony is going to be conducted that way. Anyone who might be embarrassed should be forewarned and given the opportunity not to be involved and, I can't stress this enough, no one should be thought any the worse of for their choice either way.
Incidentally, I've seen some beautiful bodies and I've also seen some where i wish they had left their clothes on. But glorification of the physical should never be the intent of skyclad. It can be a very profound experience if conducted in a mature way.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:16 am

I was taught the other way around (although I have heard the version you put across, Willow), that God told Adam that eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil would bring about Adam's death. It was told to me that because Adam and Eve ate from the tree it resulted in their spiritual death; that is they defied God and their close friendship with God died before their physical bodies did.

Ahh, confusing RE lessons :lol: I had one year where I had so many different teachers for one lesson. One week I'd have one teacher who was interested in my new-found Paganism and the week after I'd have a devout Christian who decided that it wasn't a proper religion and I was going to hell :-?
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:57 pm

I still think it's crap, some jew kid pops up and claims to be the one true heir to some mighty lord from some land no ones heard of and that we should all follow him and everything he says and does because his daddy owns land and all us poor pesants are evil and in need. If I were an illiterate jew I'd think he were god too. But fortuently I don't believe everything I read in the fiction section of the local library, that'd make me a scientoligist. ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Hmm...what translation was yours Dijabio? Mine was the NIV (not that it is the best).

Wierd how two verses later things change a little.

Anyway, every religion has its inconsistancies, I try to respect tehir beliefs....until they start attacking mine. I am gald we can have detached academic discussion without falling into "Haha those Christins are so stupid"
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:24 pm

There's another angle connected with nudity during a ritual: The climatic conditions!
If one is shivering uncontrollably it is very unlikely that very much will be achieved....
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Wierd how two verses later things change a little.
Yes... I cannot stand Chris's bible. It's translated into new english & is VERY much someone else's interpretation of it! Outright said in Corinthians 6:12-20 "Homosexuals are evil" and yet said sex was okay O_O so it is obviously aimed toward the new generations. Maybe in a few years, homosexuality will be okay, too, in the Fundie eyes.

In the same verses in MY bibles, it says NOTHING of homosexuality, and condemns sex entirely.

This is why I like channelling. The messages a personal, full of parables (much like Jesus's words, which is the attraction of Christianity to many), and for this reason what is spoken to me is MEANT for me, not for anyone else, because they will get something completely different out of it and it will ultimately be a falsehood.

But that is just me ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm old school Willow, my translation is the King James authorized. I do like it better than others. The King james version was translated in the best literary tradition of the day. The same cannot be said for modern translations. And i too would appreciate a reasonable discussion.
Though my parents were far from christian this was the only spiritual book they ever bought me. It's the one most quoted when a fundamental point is trying to be made. The use of words is always debated in the bible. It depends who you talk to as regards what they want a word to mean. Another example is "world." When caesar ordered the world to be taxed of course the bible is not referring to china, india, the america's etc. but when the world was flooded at the time of Noah then we are supposed to believe that was the literal world.
RFM i agree with you to a point, but what i saw at midnight of Imbolc many years ago, on the top of Glastonbury Tor with a full moon and the mist covering all the land beneath us so everything was silver. There are no words to describe the experience. All i can say is that the goddess kept us warm.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:39 pm

Yeah, outdoor nudity in canada is definitely a seasonal experience (-22 outside right now). On that note, indoor nudity is seasonal too. My heaters broke last night so I am typing with my gloves on and a big hot cup of tea. Not tht I usually walk around naked, but if I wanted too....

CHL, I can't believe he is using that transaltion....is it "the message" or something nuts like that? tell him to compare it to a few other translations. Lord knows I own about six of them (one in French).

It is kind of wierd, I don't really have a spiritual book right now. I have read a few good books lately (A new kind of Christian, Collected diaries of Virginia Woolf) which have affected me spiritually. But every time I try to read a "pagan" book I get bored and find it somewhat innaplicable. Oh well, I am sure something will cross my desk soon.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:39 pm

What translation?? I can't remember at the moment... Something given in Prairie Bible College, I believe. Truth-something. TRUTHQUEST? I believe that's it.

Hey, I've still got a lot I need to teach him ;) He's a complete Hippy Pagan in Good Christian Boy clothes. He's slowly taking those "clothes" off (Yes, that pertains to the original thread!) while keeping a sturdy foot in his own spirituality.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 am

LOL, and yet a nother thread goes X-rated.....

I had some friends at Prarie Bible college. it is one fo the more conservative ones in Canada, I think because it is more isolated thant he others.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:09 pm

VERY isolated, yes!

I think he just followed his gf of the time. BUT he got to be a firefighter! Then came back to BC and found out all his certificates are USELESS here.

I really don't understand it. He's so open-minded, completely non-Fundie. I've known him since I was knee-high to a grasshopper and I didn't even know he was Xian until I started dating him!
Crazy Healer Lady

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 pm

I don't mind doing rituals in the nude, but I also have to think of my children, There are laws about stuff like that so I practice mostly clothed, if I feel to undress, I usually do it when the kids are in bed, my children are old enough to join me in rituals so usually then I dont feel the need to unclothe.
SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know