Secrecy, teaching, and seekers

Is a love spell really the equivalent of rape?

How much do you feel should be open to common knowlege?

1) If someone asks, they deserve to be told no matter who they are
13%
2) Trad secrets are Trad secrets... tell nothing to non-initiates
9%
3) There are some things that shouldn't be shared with outsiders, even sympathetic ones. Other things are fair game
16%
4) There might be reasons to keep secrets from fundies, but not from fellow pagans
19%
5) Some things shouldn't be shared without the right relationship being established first, being able to trust them, knowing them fairly well, maybe some oaths and bindings.
34%
6) Other: Please explain.
9%

Total votes: 32

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Secrecy, teaching, and seekers

Post by Max » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:18 am

I'm inclined to agree: if someone asks a question, they've asked because they are drawn to it. Most of us probably started on this path by asking questions to others and to ourselves. Lotus struck a chord with me when she said 'there are no real secrets'.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Secrecy, teaching, and seekers

Post by Kystar » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 am

I think that this inclination towards secrecy and mystery enables other religious groups to throw wild accusations and have them believed. In the old days, when there was the very real chance of getting burned at the stake or hung, it was wise to keep your head down and your mouth shut; however, in our modern age, this isn't helping us establish the pagan paths as valid religious choices.

Do I believe in giving just anyone who asks the inner detailed personal spiritual information? NO.
Do I think that anyone who honestly asks a question about my faith with the intent to understand deserves a clear and concise answer? Yes.

Unless we're more open, we're never going to get rid of the stigma of the wicked witch trying to lead poor little girls into lives of debauchery and sin. Or the old tales of the druid sacrifices.

But, as always, that's my opinion.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!