Medieval Fayre Photos

Care to see my etchings?
white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Medieval Fayre Photos

Post by white_harmony » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Just thought I'd post up a few random shots, since I actually remembered to take the camera this year lol.

The apothecary hard at work -

These guys are my favourite from this year. They had 2 people dressed up as dryads wandering around on stilts. Brought a bit of the mystical to it this year

The fortune teller from the Shuvani Romani Kumpania telling someones fortune -

A gorgeous little gypsy girl all dressed up with her grandmother -

Couple of monks having a rest and a chat -

The Kumpania's dancers -
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Medieval Fayre Photos

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 am

Wow, those are gorgeous!

But where are the pics of you in costume? :-D

I would have liked to see one, but I can understand why you didn't post. Those Dryads are beautiful, it would add a brilliant bit of mythology to the faire! Man, I wish we had actual faires like this near my home. I've gone to one in the states but it wasn't a real faire, it was just an SCA event. Maybe one year I can convince Grimwell to go down to the states for one.

Did you come home with anything new?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:42 pm

lol we haven't dressed up as yet for the fayre. We've been thinking about it, but I think it'll be one of those "when we get around to it" kinda things lol.

This year .. We spent very little lol. Every year I buy one of the gorgeous shawls from one particular stall, so this year, I think that was the most shopping we did. Although, we did find a winery who will be able to supply us with mead for our wedding. Yay!! \:D/ Last year was a big shopping year for us .. Came home with 2 swords, some clothing, some wine (we buy wine every year there lol). I actually picked up my new BoS from there last year. Beautiful leather bound book with some really nice leatherworking on the front and back. Couldn't resist it lol.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice! And you actually found someone who could handle a wedding? That's brilliant! Congratulations.

Ah, I love dressing up for those things... I always feel silly, but I love doing it.

This year for my Otafest (re: anime festival), my costume was a black dress, a black and gold corset, and a pair of fox ears. Then I proceeded to eat breakfast in a busy Smitty's, while people tried desperately to not gape at me.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Aye we are so happy that there is at last a winery who doesn't tell us "we're sorry but we only do it for specific functions". The brewer was actually there himself, so he gave us the names of who to talk to, said to give him or his wife a call, and we'll sort it out, and watch my guests get giggly off a really nice mead hehehehe.

We're still hunting for the costumes really. So we'll prolly do it somewhere in the next year or so and just say stuff it all, and get dressed up lol. And ROFL .. I would pay money to see you all dressed up and everyone wondering what the hell was going on. It's amazing how .. Weirded out people get about people dressing up for events lol. They just don't understand at all lol. :lol:

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:06 am

Well, It probably would have helped if the Smitty's was closer to the University... It was a couple of train stops away, and nobody really hears about it unless it's been a slow news weekend.

But then, I just didn't care. As I figure it, if they're going to be insulted because someone is different (as opposed to simply gigging about that person in private later), they deserve to be thrown out of their comfort zone a bit.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:29 am

Well, when I used to do my LARP, I occasionally had to grab a bus to our gatherings...tended to go in full garb b/c why travel and then have to change when you get there? I got some weird looks, but the things that always got attention was the bag of fake weapons, and the real bow that was slung on my back. Though, when I explained it, I actually once in a while had someone jump off at my stop to check it out instead of going wherever they were originally headed!

I have gone out to many a restaurant in garb, and we always got the "Are you guys in a play?" question. *Head + Desk* Like any rational theatre troupe would go out in costume unless they were street-side performers!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:54 pm

Thats exactly it Kitsune. If they can't have a giggle they most definitely need to be put out of their comfort zone a bit.

Mind you ... I wish I had been more awake the other morning. But as it was, we got there really early to miss traffic. And while we were all lined up to get inside when the gates opened ... This woman got right up in our faces while we were talking, shoves a bit of paper near our hands, and says "Just want to let you know you're loved" and wanders off ... Goddam bible people infiltrating a HISTORY event, not a RELIGIOUS event. I was nearly going to go after her and give her back her bit of paper, and remind her of that fact, and also thank her for not only wasting precious natural resources with her paper because 3 out of 4 people are just going to toss it away, but tell her I am indeed loved by the Goddess and do not need to be reminded by someone such as her. Really ticked me off ... Grrrr lol But then, that's what happens when one is brain dead first thing of a morning. Sigh! lol But I said to John, after she'd walked off and we had a bit of a rant, we ALWAYS get targeted by these people. Wish I knew why >.< It's not like we flaunt our beliefs or anything, it's just like we have this invisible target on our backs that only preachers can see. Makes me wonder what kind of nonsense they'll try next year. But since this is the first time they've done it ... Who knows if they'll do it again. But at least we'll be prepared for it next year.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:37 am

Hey, just wanted to say that these photos are lovely, thanks for sharing!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:22 pm

You're most welcome :) I can't believe we only remembered to start taking photos after we had been there for a few hours lol. Next year, more and better photos! lol