Leningrad Then and Now

Care to see my etchings?
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Leningrad Then and Now

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 am

Saint Petersburg is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. The city’s other names were Petrograd (Петрогра́д, 1914–1924) and Leningrad (Ленингра́д, 1924–1991). The most tragic period in the history of this city is undoubtedly the 900-day Siege of Leningrad, a period full of suffering and heroism. For everyone who lives in St. Petersburg the Blokada (the Siege) of Leningrad is an important part of the city’s heritage and a painful memory for the population’s older generations.

An unknown artist has made this unique photos combing the photos of Leningrad today, and the photos of this city from the period of the notorious blockade when the Soviet Union was attacked by Nazi Germany. It lasted from September 8 1941 until January 27 1944. Here it is made obvious for all how deep affect this has left on people’s mind and how vivid it still is.
Link here. Stunning
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: Leningrad Then and Now

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 am

Interesting conept, I think this would be really neeat to see in a bunch of different cities (Toronto, New York, Paris etc).
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sat May 02, 2009 1:39 pm

That's stunning! We're studying WWII in World Civ and I think it's just astounding how bloody this war was. I can still feel the pain that the whole world has for that time; It's a very permanent scar for Mother Earth.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sun May 03, 2009 12:04 am

It's really powerful to see the past integrated with the present, it's easy to completely separate the two and therefore dehumanise it. It's a good idea, but made me feel really sad, when you see these things in photographs you realise it wasn't all that long ago.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde